2WD GMC 2500HD

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #41  
2wd truck here is dedicated highway truck, dry gravel, hard dry grassland. Anything wet or slick is front axle needed.

I'd consider a 2wd for dedicated tow rig if I was flexible on when I had to tow.

I've never needed 4x4 towing RV, I need it almost every time I have stock trailer hitched.

I've gotten both 2wd and 4wd stuck.....2wd means you don't go places iffy, 4x4 means you chance it and get pulled if it doesn't work out.

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #42  
I've gotten stuck more times in a 4x4 pickup than a 2x4 pickup because you're temped to go into more places with the 4x4.

A couple years ago there was a large motocross event locally. Many people camp at that event. It rained overnight. Didn't flood, but made soft dirt on grass. I've never seen so many stuck 4x4 pickups in 1 field. It made the local news.

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #43  
I rarely need to use the 4X4 on my truck. Occasionally in wet grass, as I pull out of the back yard. My back yard to front yard transition is quite steep, maybe 15 degrees. As long as you are careful and plan ahead, I would not worry one bit about 4 wheel drive. Especially so if you have a limited slip differential. At the very least, if it doesn't perform as you wish, resale of a low mileage duramax will never be an issue. Best of luck.

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #44  
Hello all,

I am looking at potentially buying a 2005 2WD GMC 2500HD. I will be using to pull my TC40 and hauling things from Lowes, etc. I have always owned 4WD trucks and I am worried/paranoid I will be making a mistake buying a 2WD. It handles great and has the Duramax with plenty of power. I am just worried about getting stuck in wet grass. I don't plan on any off-road excursions with this truck.

Any opinions on 2WD Trucks?

Thanks
Nothing worse in mud or snow than a 2wd truck with a diesel motor. The motor is heavy and the rear axle is light and has very little traction. If you are just driving on dry pavement, the truck will be fine; otherwise get a 4wd. Try a test; drive a diesel 4wd truck in poor traction conditions in 2wd; then shift into 4wd to see the difference.

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #45  
I've lived in the lake snow belt in Indiana all my life. I've seen mostly 2wd vehicles most of my life. 4x4 trucks were very rare until mud-bogging came about in the 80's. I've seen exactly one(1) set of tire chains on a vehicle here in 60 years.

Thank god for city plow trucks to make getting around in 2wd easy.

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #46  
Another advantage to 4wd trucks is the gearing you get with 4wd Low. I am always putting it in 4WD low to get up steep or go down steep hills here.

There is no transfer case giving mechanical advantage on 2wd.

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #47  
Also, IMHO,, you can not use Ford experiences to discuss Chevrolet.
The suspension it very different, and the frame stiffness is very different.
These two factors have a tremendous effect on 2WD traction.

Also, I was wondering if the OP's 2WD truck that is being discussed has a locking differential?
That also has a significant impact on traction.

I get into a locked differential situation once or twice a month,
and I grin when the truck "just goes",,

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #48  
Thank god for city plow trucks to make getting around in 2wd easy.
You can try and brush it off as city living, but we were out in the county most of the time where drifts were common. 4wd just wasn't on most trucks back then and no one used chains.

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #49  
You can try and brush it off as city living, but we were out in the county most of the time where drifts were common. 4wd just wasn't on most trucks back then and no one used chains.

I live on a ranch and when it drifts, even 4wd trucks can't get through. The plows have to come through before people can travel again.

I don't know what all of this proves, one way or another. One anecdotal example that is contradicted by another anecdotal example proves what?

/ 2WD GMC 2500HD #50  
I don't know what all of this proves, one way or another. One anecdotal example that is contradicted by another anecdotal example proves what?
Proves this thread is about trucks or lubricants on TBN?