3 Point Hitch Snow Blower Conversion to Hydraulics

/ 3 Point Hitch Snow Blower Conversion to Hydraulics #11  
My DIY rear PTO snow blower was moved to front loader mount using some bits of angle iron and 1 3/16" drilling and some welding. My rear Hyd. Power Pac has a mounting rack based 20 gpm Prince PTO pump (HC-PTO-1AC 9.9 cu/rev)and and a 25 gal tank reservoir/ filter, 3/4" pressure/ return lines with P. relief. The 3/4" lines run up forward to the blower with a hydraulic motor (Surplus Center 9-7080-160 9.6 cu/rev) with a 3/8" case drain to the tank. I simply turn on the tractors PTO when I want the blower running (it has an internal sprag type clutch) . I am never up to 540 pto.... maybe 470. It is an entirely independent hydraulic system. It works beautifully. In fact my concerns of "heat" is just the opposite. I started out in Dec 2013 with nearly 20 gals of UTF and in order to build some hydraulic fluid heat drained some. I'm now using < 12 gals. and that gets me up to 80* in an hour of snow blowin. You can just feel a little heat in the pump (by bare hand) after an hour of intense snow blowin. I don't have QDs yet so it is a pretty efficient system but is running too cold IMO. Hydraulic Motor has 16 tooth to 15 tooth advantage (#60 roller chain). Plus the opportunity to make "Tweek" changes case I need it. The blower chute rotater is a 50 dollar winch that is controlled via 2 relays and micro switched in the cab. No snow or ice will stop it! It has been so cold since last fall that some work still remains.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/hydraulics/286706-pto-snow-blower-hydraulic-drive.html See this URL for some more info on the build if interested HTH!

Attachments

• 417.jpg
    417.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 3,656
  • DSC01736.jpg
    DSC01736.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 4,326
  • DSC01740.jpg
    DSC01740.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 1,317
  • DSC01743.jpg
    DSC01743.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 1,913
  • DSC01744.jpg
    DSC01744.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 2,267
  • DSC01599.jpg
    DSC01599.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 1,039
  • DSC01833.JPG
    DSC01833.JPG
    877.4 KB · Views: 998
  • DSC01834.JPG
    DSC01834.JPG
    867.1 KB · Views: 745
  • 384.jpg
    384.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 3,101
  • 392.jpg
    392.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 1,225
  • 396.jpg
    396.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 15,064
Last edited:
   / 3 Point Hitch Snow Blower Conversion to Hydraulics #12  
My DIY rear PTO snow blower was moved to front loader mount using some bits of angle iron and 1 3/16" drilling and some welding. My rear Hyd. Power Pac has a mounting rack based 20 gpm Prince PTO pump (HC-PTO-1AC 9.9 cu/rev)and and a 25 gal tank reservoir/ filter, 3/4" pressure/ return lines with P. relief. The 3/4" lines run up forward to the blower with a hydraulic motor (Surplus Center 9-7080-160 9.6 cu/rev) with a 3/8" case drain to the tank. I simply turn on the tractors PTO when I want the blower running (it has an internal sprag type clutch) . I am never up to 540 pto.... maybe 470. It is an entirely independent hydraulic system. It works beautifully. In fact my concerns of "heat" is just the opposite. I started out in Dec 2013 with nearly 20 gals of UTF and in order to build some hydraulic fluid heat drained some. I'm now using < 12 gals. and that gets me up to 80* in an hour of snow blowin. You can just feel a little heat in the pump (by bare hand) after an hour of intense snow blowin. I don't have QDs yet so it is a pretty efficient system but is running too cold IMO. Hydraulic Motor has 16 tooth to 15 tooth advantage (#60 roller chain). Plus the opportunity to make "Tweek" changes case I need it. The blower chute rotater is a 50 dollar winch that is controlled via 2 relays and micro switched in the cab. No snow or ice will stop it! It has been so cold since last fall that some work still remains.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/hydraulics/286706-pto-snow-blower-hydraulic-drive.html See this URL for some more info on the build if interested HTH!

Nice looking set up, if your oil is not getting milky (water in it)I would not worry about the temps. CJ

/ 3 Point Hitch Snow Blower Conversion to Hydraulics #13  
A friend put a engine in back of his F250 ford pickup and blower on front worked ok as long as you took it easy but when he got in the heavy stuff that makes the (governor kick in on the tractor and the rpms drop) blower would stop.
Ron

/ 3 Point Hitch Snow Blower Conversion to Hydraulics #14  
There is a company in Ontario, Canada that makes a unit for mounting snowblower on front of tractor
Do a google search on M K Martin.
Several years ago I made my own,with a reversing transmission on the pto and a shaft under the tractor
Then I mounted the blower in place of the bucket on the fel arms
IT WORKED GREAT FOR 20 YEARS

/ 3 Point Hitch Snow Blower Conversion to Hydraulics #15  
Balerguy2, I have the same pump and similar system. I am having trouble finding a short PTO double universal drive shaft. I bought one to cut down but the universals take all my space. 16" . did you make yours? Parts from where? Thanks,rob

/ 3 Point Hitch Snow Blower Conversion to Hydraulics #16  
Robstaples,

EZTRAIL on EBAY, Arthur, Illinois, "Tim". He has Double U-Joint 1-1/4" Round to 1-3/8" 6 splines PTO universals. He is a very honest and expeditious seller. Mount your pump on the tank/frame and save your back from hefting that very heavy pump with it's suction & Pressure hose all in/on your hands and extended fingers! You won't have to weasel it (et al ) unto the tractor's splined shaft all in such a confined area. The DIY pto shaft is very light and easy to hook-up. HTH!

Double U Joint 1 1 4" Round to 1 3 8 6 Spline 540 PTO Universal | eBay

Last edited:
   / 3 Point Hitch Snow Blower Conversion to Hydraulics #17  
Thanks, I just ordered one. I extended my 3 pt so I could test my rebuilt and modified Arians 48" snow blower. We only had about 3 inches but everything worked as expected. I convert to hydraulic motor and widened it to 54", added electric chute and spout control. Had to get out and use a battery to get through my test. I wanted to see how it performed. I kept the pivot point the same as it was when mounted to my Simplicity Sunstar. So while it is connected to my FEL quick connect plate, it is allowed to rise and fall on a pivot axle. I may do a thread on my job when it's all done. My dog was directingDSCN0144.jpgDSCN0141.jpg

/ 3 Point Hitch Snow Blower Conversion to Hydraulics #18  
Robstaples,

Very nice looking Front Blower, Tractor and Hydro Power Pac! Gotta be comfy in that Cab and blowing snow going forward too!

Looks like you added the 3" & 3" wings.................... you get them from Ariens or?

Is that a 12 vdc linear actuator on the top of the snow chute deflector?

How many gallons of fluid and do you get much warmth after say 1/2 hour or so of snow work?

You guys in lee of N. Lake Michigan do get some snow.

I forgot to mention: I used a short length of 1-1/4" 1/8" wall steel tubing and those 3/8" bolts are acting also as "shear bolts" in addition to keeping the DIY driveshaft together. You can buy those

1-3/8" male splined pto stubs with 1-1/4" smooth female also on EBAY.

/ 3 Point Hitch Snow Blower Conversion to Hydraulics #19  
I made the wings out of 1/8” steel bent in a z shape with 30 degree angles. Unnecessary design complexity. I saw someone else’s that was just a simple funnel. I did weld a ¼” rod bent to the contour of the leading edge so I would cut anything the bumped into it—like my shins. Downfalls of prototyping. The chute motion is by 12 motor and linear motor, as you saw, for spout pitch. I am pleased with my choice of wireless remote control and small rechargeable battery to mount right on the blower, although I’m still looking for the right weather proof box to mount the receiver and battery. So no cab modifications or wire runs to contend with. I’ve bench tested it and am waiting for parts. Just a 4 button key bob on the dash for control.
I put in 10 gals of fluid and had no heat in the oil. I think it was because of the light load. Several years ago, I was running a Loftness 60” blower in deep snow and the motor was steaming from the snow spray. The lines were warm so I would hold one in one hand to keep warm as I was in a no cab Kubota L39. This cab stuff is all new to me.

/ 3 Point Hitch Snow Blower Conversion to Hydraulics #20  
robstaples,

Great on you for thinking and doing "wireless" control for both chute motions. The minds that "do" things that populate and move these forums! Looks like if I want those "wings" I'll have to fabricate.

Groan! I was hoping you had some heat to report! Even the heaviest snow this winter hasn't increased mine much at all (a little warmth based on bare hand). Next fall I may switch to a lighter viscosity UTF just to make myself feel

better! The product I chose just reports "complies with JD J20c spec. I don't yet have a "pre-heater" for the bottom of my tank...................... too cold just to try getting it to adhere.