3 point vs trailed rotary rake

/ 3 point vs trailed rotary rake #1  

870wing

Tractor
Landini 6860
Hello All,
I'm looking at buying either a Krone, Kuhn or Pequea single rotor rake. I would like to know what the difference is between a 3 point attachment rake vs a trailed rake? Also, does the front support wheel make a difference? Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely yours

870Wing

/ 3 point vs trailed rotary rake #2  
I made hay for years but never with a rotary rake. I have used 3 point and trailed rakes and there are advantages to both. the trailed rake Is easy and quick to hook up, and the 3 point is easy to get out of the field. Just lift it up over the windrows. I like the trailed type, but that is just my idea. I know from working at a dealer ship that sold Krone we sold a lot of trailed type and almost no 3 point. Ed

/ 3 point vs trailed rotary rake #3  
Next year I will be gettting the 3pt Kuhn (3201) - its similar to the GA 300 but you can take the arms off. I'm using a 3pt roll bar now (ford 503) and pick it up to get over the windrows. That's important to me as I run in small fields.

Hope this helps.

/ 3 point vs trailed rotary rake #4  
i use a trailed attached to a draw bar so I can raise or lower from the tractor seat. This way I can cross windrows with no problem.

/ 3 point vs trailed rotary rake #5  
Please pardon this question. If it is attached to the draw bar, how do you raise it and lower it from the seat. Or is the draw bar attached to the 3 pt arms and you have the top link connected some way. Would be great to see a picture of how this work for you.

The reason I ask is on my tedder I need to get out of the seat to raise it, or just run it to the gate as I usually do, then raise it for transport.

/ 3 point vs trailed rotary rake #6  
I bought a Kuhn GA4220TH this spring. It is one of Kuhn's trailed rotary rakes. I was considering one of the 3 pt versions, but after researching it, talking to the Kuhn ditrict rep, and talking to another farmer who had used one and switched to the 4220 TH, I went with it as well. Best hay decision I have made. The 3 points work well if your ground is pretty level, otherwise I would recommend considering a trailed version. I have the boogey axle on mine and it makes a significant difference if you are in rolling/uneven ground or the hay is really heavy. The rake saves 24-36 hours drying time and makes consistent, fluffy windrows that are perfect for a square baler. I double them up for round bales. The rake raises pretty high and is easy to work with in tight areas.

/ 3 point vs trailed rotary rake #7  
Please pardon this question. If it is attached to the draw bar, how do you raise it and lower it from the seat. Or is the draw bar attached to the 3 pt arms and you have the top link connected some way. Would be great to see a picture of how this work for you.

The reason I ask is on my tedder I need to get out of the seat to raise it, or just run it to the gate as I usually do, then raise it for transport.

Yes a draw bar attached to the 3pt. I don't lift the entire rake, just lift until the tines clear the windrows. The wheels stay on the ground. It's a ground driven rake.

/ 3 point vs trailed rotary rake #8  
Hello All, I'm looking at buying either a Krone, Kuhn or Pequea single rotor rake. I would like to know what the difference is between a 3 point attachment rake vs a trailed rake? Also, does the front support wheel make a difference? Any help would be appreciated.Sincerely yours 870Wing

As others have said 3pt better in small fields and even ground, trailed better in larger field and uneven ground especially with the front wheel (a must imo)

/ 3 point vs trailed rotary rake #9  
Thanks - everything I do is pretty level. Learned something new today......... a plus in my book as at my age I forget a lot. :D

/ 3 point vs trailed rotary rake
Thank you to all that have responded. The comments have been very useful.

I have a combination of fields that range in size from 1 acre to 30 acres. The fields are mainly rolling or on hillsides. With the information supplied I will probably go with a 13 or 15 foot working width single rotor trailed rake with the front wheel. This will let me make it through the gates and gives me a large enough coverage that I won't be out in the field all day.

Do you consider the 3 brands (Krone, Kuhn or Pequea) to be equal in quality and user friendliness?

Take care

870Wing