30 Amp fuse keeps blowing

/ 30 Amp fuse keeps blowing
I am going to remove the wire attached to 6 and place it onto post 4. I was also wondering if perhaps some water got down into the switch due to the recent rain. I have got to make room in my garage to park it otherwise build an equipment barn. My barn is packed with hay so no room there.

/ 30 Amp fuse keeps blowing #32  
I'm surprised you have any hair left! I might have pulled all mine our by now if I were you. Anyhow, I read in one of the above posts about using a test light on the fuse box. In the past I have removed the negative cable from the battery post and put that light between the cable and the post. That gives you an indication of any draw on the battery if it glows. But, since your not blowing fuses at the moment I have a tendency to agree with Greg G and suspect the original problem was a bad switch and now a possibly incorrectly wired new switch. Either way keep us posted on this and I know we can figure it out. Good luck.

Rick,
I have no hair so nothing to lose lol... That is a pretty good idea I haven't tried anything recently because I am tired of working on it. I have spent too much time recently troubleshooting instead of working so for now it starts using the key so I am going to leave it alone. I might just rewire it latter in the month when the days get shorter and I need the headlights.

/ 30 Amp fuse keeps blowing #34  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( In the past I have removed the negative cable from the battery post and put that light between the cable and the post. That gives you an indication of any draw on the battery if it glows. )</font>
Technically, that procedure verifies the presence or absence of voltage on ground to narrow down the reason for a chronic low or dead battery condition. I prefer a multimeter, because occasionally voltage to ground is not a level sufficient to make a bulb glow. I've found some shorts trickling as little as 1 volt to ground, which unfortunately ain't gonna show up on a 12v bulb.

Voltage on ground is normal when an electrical device is purposely energized - because without ground, a DC circuit will not complete. But sometimes loose wires, frayed insulation, or simply a defective device can complete the circuit somewhere other than (or in addition to) through a switch. When the alternator is doing a good job of keeping the battery topped up, this type of short often goes undetected. They do their dirty work when the engine is not running.

It's when you come out several mornings in a row - only to find a dead or low battery again - that this little test comes in handy; to determine if it's actually because of a ground fault somewhere, or because the battery simply isn't charging during the run cycle any more.

//greg//

Well, I finally have the problem fixed! And it was sure a pain in the XXX. I have almost totally rewired the main wiring. From the starter all through out and just after the ignition switch. I never actually found the short but I know it is now corrected because everything is working. I took it one step at a time meaning I tested then rewired each leg of wiring until the shorting stopped. I just buttoned everything up and so far its operating at almost 100%. My tach is now slightly erratic. I seems when at a stop there is no tach movement, when I engage the clutch the tach begins to register. Once up to speed the tach operates normally. I will go and search the previous post because I remember a while back someone had a similar problem.

/ 30 Amp fuse keeps blowing #36  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My tach is now slightly erratic. I seems when at a stop there is no tach movement, when I engage the clutch the tach begins to register. Once up to speed the tach operates normally. )</font>
the tach fix is usually a simple sensor depth adjustment. Simple that is, unless you screw it in too far and hit the flywheel.

//greg//

/ 30 Amp fuse keeps blowing #37  
Seven, I had this problem with my tach and it finally died. So I installed a new sensor because the old one was screwed in too far to start with. Any way with the engine not running install the sensor all the way till it touches the flywheel and back it out 1 full turn, that should do it. I backed mine out a little more than that just to make sure it wouldn't touch the fly wheel.
Billy

/ 30 Amp fuse keeps blowing #38  
Seven, I had a bad starter on my tractor when it was new. My gauges quit working and it was the wire coming off of the starter where the main 12 positive lead hooks. There was a plastic bushing between these two wires and I wasn't getting good connection. I blew a 30 amp fuse in this process too. I completely removed that plastic piece and my guages worked after that (the starter was still bad and replaced by my dealer) but haven't had any more problems. You probably corrected the problem when you rewired. These tractors can be a pain but I think you'll love yours as soon as you get everything solved. Good luck.

Bill