Comparison 3038E vs 3320

/ 3038E vs 3320 #1  

DKCDKC

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038E
I'm trading in my good ole 1974 JD 2030 for a compact tractor. I've looked at other makes, but decided to stick with JD for a host of reasons - dealer relationship among them. I'm looking at a 3038E vs 3320. I like the 3320 for its weight, although it has less HP. And it's substantially greater lift capacities. But I don't know that I need it and hate to spend the extra $4,000 for power I won't need. I use the tractor and FEL for moving some dirt to the garden, bush hogging 4 or 5 acres of mostly grass and brush, box blading a mile gravel drive and some general dragging trash and land maintenance stuff. I do have to push snow off the drive too.

The 3320 has the Powershifter rather than the hydro. I'm not sure how much difference that makes. I've always had old fashioned geared tractors. 'Course the hydro might be easier for my wife.

I am getting rid of the bigger tractor because it's too hard to mount as I approach 70, and my wife can't operate it with artificial knees anyway. We can easily climb all over a compact tractor. But I would rather not have to buy another tractor for the rest of my life.

Am I better with the 3038E at about $18,000 or the 3320 at $22,000? Is there $4,000 more value in the 20? Any input appreciated.

/ 3038E vs 3320 #2  
I'm trading in my good ole 1974 JD 2030 for a compact tractor. I've looked at other makes, but decided to stick with JD for a host of reasons - dealer relationship among them. I'm looking at a 3038E vs 3320. I like the 3320 for its weight, although it has less HP. And it's substantially greater lift capacities. But I don't know that I need it and hate to spend the extra $4,000 for power I won't need. I use the tractor and FEL for moving some dirt to the garden, bush hogging 4 or 5 acres of mostly grass and brush, box blading a mile gravel drive and some general dragging trash and land maintenance stuff. I do have to push snow off the drive too.

The 3320 has the Powershifter rather than the hydro. I'm not sure how much difference that makes. I've always had old fashioned geared tractors. 'Course the hydro might be easier for my wife.

I am getting rid of the bigger tractor because it's too hard to mount as I approach 70, and my wife can't operate it with artificial knees anyway. We can easily climb all over a compact tractor. But I would rather not have to buy another tractor for the rest of my life.

Am I better with the 3038E at about $18,000 or the 3320 at $22,000? Is there $4,000 more value in the 20? Any input appreciated.

well if your gonna stepup to a 3320, you might want to trow in another 7k for a cab. thats the only reason i would step up personally. i was researching just like you are now. If your gonna keep it for many years it is something you may want to consider. You could never replicate in the aftermarkey world what you get from the factory. I got a 3520 turbo with delux cab and 72" mid mount mower for 32k out the door with a ag discount i didnt even have to apply for. the dealer did it for me. Basically if you own a little peice of land, you can get ag discount .3320 would be cheaper but 3520 delux cab, you get a bunch of upgrades which people are unaware of and wind up with regular cab.

/ 3038E vs 3320 #3  
Have you and your wife had the opportunity to give each of the tractors you're considering a "tryout"? Might be a very good investment of an afternoon of your time...

I've got gear tractors and an eHydro tractor. My wife would not; under any circumstances drive the gear tractors. She does and likes to drive the eHydro machine! (When I wanted to sell it - she had a cow!) We've still got it..

I believe that you will discover using a small utility eHydro tractor around the yard, building's and fences to be a real pleasure.

I'm 60 now, and just bought my first cab tractor! It too, has been a real, real change for me this winter! :D Plowing snow has never been so enjoyable.

Nonetheless, if you're serious about this next tractor being your "last" tractor... you might really consider the "creature comforts" that will make using the tractor something that you and your wife would actually look forward to!! :thumbsup:

AKfish

/ 3038E vs 3320
I appreciate the input. We've driven the 3038E and will go today or tomorrow to try the 3320. I'd love the extra power of the 3520 but it pushes the cost beyond what I want to spend. My wife too wants nothing to do with regular gears, but is willing to try the Powershifter stuff.

We have looked at a cab, but the cost is pretty high. My neighbor farmer has some cab tractors and I've driven them. The cab does make the job more pleasant on really hot or cold days. However, since much of my land is forested and I am frequently amid, under and around tree branches, I fear a cab would be quickly damaged. And, actually, living in the Shenandoah Valley, super hot days are few and snow removal is normally only a half dozen days a winter (although sometimes much more). I think I may be able to tough out the weather even 10 years from now. After that I'll let one of my grandsons do the tractor work.

Thanks again for the input. Buying a tractor is not something I do a lot.

/ 3038E vs 3320 #5  
well if your gonna stepup to a 3320, you might want to trow in another 7k for a cab. thats the only reason i would step up personally. i was researching just like you are now. If your gonna keep it for many years it is something you may want to consider. You could never replicate in the aftermarkey world what you get from the factory. I got a 3520 turbo with delux cab and 72" mid mount mower for 32k out the door with a ag discount i didnt even have to apply for. the dealer did it for me. Basically if you own a little peice of land, you can get ag discount .3320 would be cheaper but 3520 delux cab, you get a bunch of upgrades which people are unaware of and wind up with regular cab.

Today is the day for Short throw. hope all goes well.

/ 3038E vs 3320 #6  
There is a cruise control option for the hydro which may help your wife with her knees or while mowing the 4 to 5 acres on the 3038E if you choose to go with that model. The Deere website shows the price at $214.00. Got a deere hydro lawn tractor and really like the hydro for mowing around the trees and buildings. Much easier to operate than the old one. Now looking at the 3038E hydro to replace my Case-IH 255. My knees will appreciate the open platform so much more.

/ 3038E vs 3320 #7  
Like AKfish, I have a eHydro tractor (actually 2 now) and a gear tractor. All are JD. I do enjoy the gear in the larger utility tractor, but the hydro is much more in its place in the smaller machines. The hydro transmission lets you get closer to objects, control speed better and is a lot easier on the legs.

The hydrostatic 3320 is an overal nicer, more comfortable machine than the 3038e, and if you can swing the price, you won't regret it.

/ 3038E vs 3320 #8  
DKCDKC,

I use my 3038E to power a 6 foot bushhog on my 100AC. The advantage of that tractor for me is high PTO hp. For what you'll use the tractor for, I think you could save even more money by getting the 3032E. These two tractors (3038E, 3032E) are tuned to produce their peak power at 2500 rather than the 2600 rpm of the 3x20 series, and consequently have higher peak torque and torque rise than their counterparts (3520, 3320 respectively). A minor benefit, perhaps, but given the light weight of the 3E series you'll have plenty of reserve power with either machine. I get pretty good traction with my R4s inflated to around 8.5psi in the rears, but if I were to do it all over again I'd order mine with R1s. R1s might work a little better for boxblading and dragging. BTW, I find the driving position so comfortable that I don't miss cruise control or tilt steering.
Tim

/ 3038E vs 3320 #9  
I may have missed if someone said this or not but the 3320 is available in hydro also. Additonally, the 3320 is more of a "premium " tractor as compared to the 3038e. I don't own either but in looking at jd's website I think you'll see a difference in many features beside transmission and engines. I think only the 3320 has a mid pto I'm not sure if it is standard or an option but the 3038e doesn't offer it at all

/ 3038E vs 3320 #10  
Today is the day for Short throw. hope all goes well.

i didnt get any calls today. so i sent an emailto the guy. i wont hear back till tomorrow. figures