30x50 Pole Barn

/ 30x50 Pole Barn #41  
Without regard for snow load, no one is exempt from or can predict a severe windstorm. 5' is the absolute truss centers min I would consider, only because I have worked on such a structure that has been standing since the mid 80's. We raised the existing roof, increased sidewall ht from 8' to 12'.

At this stage in life, it just isn't worth the risk to test the limits when dealing with the fury of nature. The taller the sidewalls, the greater the windshear moment loading against the windward elevation.

/ 30x50 Pole Barn #42  
Without regard for snow load, no one is exempt from or can predict a severe windstorm. 5' is the absolute truss centers min I would consider, only because I have worked on such a structure that has been standing since the mid 80's. We raised the existing roof, increased sidewall ht from 8' to 12'.

At this stage in life, it just isn't worth the risk to test the limits when dealing with the fury of nature. The taller the sidewalls, the greater the windshear moment loading against the windward elevation.

Yes...I was hesitant on the 10' center for truss. This is the max they go with. Most steel truss pole barns you look at are 10' on center. Morton gives me a 50 year warranty. I don't plan on hanging anything or putting in a ceiling, other wise I would have had to go 5' on center. Its all in the way Morton engineers their buildings.

/ 30x50 Pole Barn #43  
Yes...I was hesitant on the 10' center for truss. This is the max they go with. Most steel truss pole barns you look at are 10' on center. Morton gives me a 50 year warranty. I don't plan on hanging anything or putting in a ceiling, other wise I would have had to go 5' on center. Its all in the way Morton engineers their buildings.

I believe Morton does 6' , 7', 7.5 ,8' ,10' spacing on the trusses . I looked at a 80x180 indoor arena that Morton built and they did a very nice job They went with 7 on my barn because its 42' long The numbers work out better ..

/ 30x50 Pole Barn #44  
WOW! Things have sure changed for my building since I last chimed in here. I started with a 30x50 with a lean too, now they are just beginning to install the sheeting on a 42x50 fully enclosed, fully sheeted with wind bracing poles set 3' in concrete on a 12" concrete footer framed out in between all poles and a 3/12 pitch with 2x6 trusses on 2' centers. 26ga ag metal all around over top of a house wrap between the 3/8" sheeting and metal, and the same on top over top of roof wrap over 5/8" sheeting. My building grew from an ag building to a fully enclosed shop large enough to allow for equipment storage. A lean to on one side is going to be a definitive necessity. Pics to soon follow.

/ 30x50 Pole Barn #45  
Look forward to your pics.