3500 truck needs CDL?

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #21  
NOT FOR HIRE is displayed at times also - just means the owner/operator in not engaged in commercial enterprise; think weekend warrior race car drivers

Grey area here: Are those in your state (applies to all members) who drive commercially titled and/or plated vehicles required to pass over highway weigh stations when it is possible the single vehicle or combination vehicle may weigh over 26,001 pounds? I see a number of those in Michigan with stickers saying "Under 26,000 gross" but as for other states I do not know.

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #22  
Here in VA they are plated as 'TRUCK's with no reference to commercial or private use, but they must not exceed 26,001 pounds or CDL applies. What I do disagree with is that ANYTHING considered to be an RV is exempt even though they can be giant tractor units pulling giant fifth wheels.
djw_truck.jpg

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #23  
Moot point. A 3500 isn't gonna have "regular" passenger plates on it in NY.

Sounds like florida. We would have to derate quite a bit to get it down to noncom plate.

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #24  
Sweet...

In California they include just about everything that can be as commercial subject to weight fees...

But having a commercial plate isn't enough to let you park in a commercial loading zone picking up or dropping off... brother got a ticket picking up a engine in his commercial F250 truck... he fought it and the Judge asked to see his commercial driver's license which he did not have.

At one time I would also see commercial plated on passenger cars especially station wagons used by salespeople... don't think anyone cares about that today...

None of the pharmacy and medical equipment reps that drive passenger cars and have product have commercial plates... and this was not always the case.

My little Suzuki Samurai says Truck on the title but no commercial plate...

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #25  
That reminds me of when I had to drive this horrible stock Ford Areostar Company Van. It had a four banger with a stick. I think fourteen inch wheels. But it was good enough to pick up a thousand pound Ford 917 flail mower that I had bought. The dealer just slid it in there with an engine hoist, slick as can be. Other then that, I used to ferry around the Mennonites that built our barn. Those seemed to be the days when, if you could move it down the road, you were good to go.

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #26  
If it's commercially plated and is a combination vehicle (truck + trailer) and you are towing in excess of 10K lbs. then CDL

Key point is commercially plated.

Then you must not be familar with Ohio state law

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-11 at 8.45.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-11 at 8.45.04 AM.png
    171.9 KB · Views: 156
   / 3500 truck needs CDL? #27  
Here in VA they are plated as 'TRUCK's with no reference to commercial or private use, but they must not exceed 26,001 pounds or CDL applies. What I do disagree with is that ANYTHING considered to be an RV is exempt even though they can be giant tractor units pulling giant fifth wheels.
View attachment 477242

Perhaps it is because they are considered "personal use" rather than "commercial use"...?

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #28  
Perhaps it is because they are considered "personal use" rather than "commercial use"...?

That doesn't make it safe or a good idea. Just because some snot-nosed kid got a full driver's license should not mean that he should be able to operate a 50k-pound rig on the road with no further training.

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #29  
That doesn't make it safe or a good idea. Just because some snot-nosed kid got a full driver's license should not mean that he should be able to operate a 50k-pound rig on the road with no further training.[/QU

Being a former professional driver ( 35 years) I agree with you 100%on that observation.

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #30  
It's not about safety and ideas. It's about making revenue.