3500 truck needs CDL?

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #31  
You missed the first two words of that page????

Right above Where it says CDL classes....

The "commercial driver" part.

Look here near the bottom under exemptions Ohio CDL FAQs | Get Your OH CDL (Best)

It says
Are there any exemptions to being required to have Ohio CDL?
Yes, a few . . .
1. Active Duty Military . . . with military licenses operating military vehicles.
2. Firefighters . . . meeting approved training standards and operating authorized emergency vehicles.
3. Farmers . . . in certain cases.
4. Individuals ....operating motor homes or other vehicles used exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members, for non business purposes.

or....from the same website you posted your picture from:

cdl.PNG

Everyone wants or overlook the commercial part. If you are not driving commercially, or engage in commerce, then why in the world would you think you need a CDL. Remember what the C stands for in CDL.

Now thats not saying you can go drive your own personal 53' 80,000# semi on your Class D license. But NO, you dont need a CDL. All you need is a non-commerical Class A.

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #32  
Yep.. Had this debate several times on RV forums. No CDL required even if you use a Semi to pull a huge trailer/toy hauler for personal use.

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #34  
You. I thought I quoted your screenshot, guess not

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #35  
I've thought about one of those RV toy haulers to move my tractors and vehicles around... it would seem to by a way so as the 10,000 pound weight limit would not apply.

See plenty of rental RV going out all the time to foreign drivers on holiday... most have never driven even regular pickups...

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #36  
You. I thought I quoted your screenshot, guess not

Then I stand by statement that

If it's commercially plated and is a combination vehicle (truck + trailer) and you are towing in excess of 10K lbs. then CDL

Key point is commercially plated.

Is completely wrong. A vehicle driver only needs a CDL if:
1) The power unit is over 26K or
2) The combo is over 26K and comprised of a trailer over 10K.

Rswyan is incorrect about any combo over 10K requiring a CDL anywhere in the USA. Commercial vehicles in interstate commerce are required to have a DOT number and follow DOT driver laws, but that is a very different thing than a CDL

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #37  
Then I stand by statement that

Is completely wrong. A vehicle driver only needs a CDL if:
1) The power unit is over 26K or
2) The combo is over 26K and comprised of a trailer over 10K.

Rswyan is incorrect about any combo over 10K requiring a CDL anywhere in the USA. Commercial vehicles in interstate commerce are required to have a DOT number and follow DOT driver laws, but that is a very different thing than a CDL

Statement is still incorrect......

After both of those statements, if you add "AND is towing commercially or engaging in Commerce" then it would be correct.

IE: you dont need a Commercial Drivers license unless you are towing Commercially.

You can haul your private stuff around on a combo over 26k all day long without a CDL.

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #38  
Statement is still incorrect......

After both of those statements, if you add "AND is towing commercially or engaging in Commerce" then it would be correct.

IE: you dont need a Commercial Drivers license unless you are towing Commercially.

You can haul your private stuff around on a combo over 26k all day long without a CDL.

OK, I agree.

But the arguement is those talking about a 10K limit, which is flat out wrong.

Start at the very first post in this thread

/ 3500 truck needs CDL?
So a truck with a GVRW of over 10,000lbs needs nothing extra as long as it is not towing. It is still considered a passenger vehicle.

/ 3500 truck needs CDL? #40  
So a truck with a GVRW of over 10,000lbs needs nothing extra as long as it is not towing. It is still considered a passenger vehicle.

Correct, as long as its under 26k.

3500 DRW's have been over 10k for a few decades now.