3550 Limp Mode

/ 3550 Limp Mode #1  

jb1390

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3550, Hitachi 120-2
I have around 140 hours on my 3550. It just went into limp mode for high fuel rail pressure (50 occurrences) for the 2nd time. The first time the dealer reset the count, and it ran fine for 50 hours or so. When it goes into limp mode it blinks the check engine light and severely limits the power until it's reset. I know this has happened to one other member here with a 3550, any other owners out there with the same problem?

Tractor is great when it's at full power....

/ 3550 Limp Mode #2  
I bought a 3550 back in November, since then i have put her through the paces, moving rock hauling soil, grading road ext.
Recently i noticed excessive smoke and lack of power, possible limp mode.

I called dealer, he thought it could be a fuel issue, ( contaminants in fuel, or little flow) i was very skeptical thinking it could be fuel rail.

I i removed and installed new filters, bleed out the lines. At first start up there was a noticible miss like before. I put her through the paces and loaded her up. After about 5 mins of load she leveled out as good as new.

Moral of the story, even though the signss may seen like it is a large equipment failer, it could be and probably is just fuel.

I hope this helps someone out. If anyone has any questions please let me know

/ 3550 Limp Mode
I bought a 3550 back in November, since then i have put her through the paces, moving rock hauling soil, grading road ext.
Recently i noticed excessive smoke and lack of power, possible limp mode.

I called dealer, he thought it could be a fuel issue, ( contaminants in fuel, or little flow) i was very skeptical thinking it could be fuel rail.

I i removed and installed new filters, bleed out the lines. At first start up there was a noticible miss like before. I put her through the paces and loaded her up. After about 5 mins of load she leveled out as good as new.

Moral of the story, even though the signss may seen like it is a large equipment failer, it could be and probably is just fuel.

I hope this helps someone out. If anyone has any questions please let me know

If you did not have a check engine light, your tractor was not in limp mode. The only way of getting it out of limp mode is a dealer computer reset of the prv count. Don't worry though, it'll go there soon. Mahindra is aware of the problem, but they have not yet developed a solution. Mine was reset for the 5th or 6th time yesterday. To Mahindras credit, I know one of the reps on a first-name basis now, and Mahindra has been good about making warranty visits etc. convenient to me.

You also need to cut a couple slots in the rubber washer in the fuel cap, or be sure to install it loose. If you tighten it all the way without modifying the cap, it will collapse the tank.

/ 3550 Limp Mode #4  
I have around 140 hours on my 3550. It just went into limp mode for high fuel rail pressure (50 occurrences) for the 2nd time. The first time the dealer reset the count, and it ran fine for 50 hours or so. When it goes into limp mode it blinks the check engine light and severely limits the power until it's reset. I know this has happened to one other member here with a 3550, any other owners out there with the same problem?

Tractor is great when it's at full power....

Wow. Does this ever sound like the problem I'm having with my tractor right now. Check engine light flashing and can't do anything. No power. Stay off of hydro pedal and hydraulics and RPMs come back up and tractor runs fine. Try to do anything and complete loss of power. To think of the time I have lost over the last few months because of this. Mechanic should be coming today.

/ 3550 Limp Mode
Wow. Does this ever sound like the problem I'm having with my tractor right now. Check engine light flashing and can't do anything. No power. Stay off of hydro pedal and hydraulics and RPMs come back up and tractor runs fine. Try to do anything and complete loss of power. To think of the time I have lost over the last few months because of this. Mechanic should be coming today.

Have mechanic check the prv count. It does have the updated firmware correct? Mine hasn't had an issue since it's had the updated flash. Before that it would limp every 50 hours or so, I think mostly dependant on number of start cycles.

This issue was due to firmware incorrectly determining that rail pressure is too high, and incorrectly calculating that the relief valve had opened. After a number of occurrences it reduces maximum rail pressure to try to protect the engine. No rail pressure = no power.

If it is prv count then at least insist that they reset it for you on a regular basis (before it hits limp mode) until they get the firmware correct.

/ 3550 Limp Mode #6  
Have mechanic check the prv count. It does have the updated firmware correct? Mine hasn't had an issue since it's had the updated flash. Before that it would limp every 50 hours or so, I think mostly dependant on number of start cycles.

This issue was due to firmware incorrectly determining that rail pressure is too high, and incorrectly calculating that the relief valve had opened. After a number of occurrences it reduces maximum rail pressure to try to protect the engine. No rail pressure = no power.

If it is prv count then at least insist that they reset it for you on a regular basis (before it hits limp mode) until they get the firmware correct.

I was told that it had all the updates before it was delivered to me last February. Sounds like the problem to me. Or a fuel problem. I will have him check it. Thank you.

/ 3550 Limp Mode #7  
Mechanic came and hooked up computer. Looked to see if it had latest firmware. It does. I explained how it has happened at different times and suddenly. He asked me to see if I could get it to act up. So it took me about 10-15 minutes of running it and it happened just like he said he had seen it happen on a couple other tractors. After it got up to temp and the temperature gage got to about half way or a little more. Bam. Almost complete loss of power and couldn't do anything after that. He said with one tractor he actually had to have them flash it from another place. (Maybe Texas) Apparently they have a slightly modified one because of this problem on "some" tractors. Not keeping it? Hmmm. So he asked me for a power source and said let me try re-installing or re-flashing it with the same, latest one. Maybe it will fix the problem. The computer had it done in about 10-12 minutes or so. So I needed to make sure it would do it again. Temp gage was still up there about half way. I ran it. Back and forth at 2500 rpms up and down the drive way like before. Cycled loader up and down, bucket up and down. Then ran backhoe through its paces. No problems. Did that fix it? Turned engine off and on several times like I did the first time we went through. Ran it back and forth again. Now I've been running it longer, a good bit longer than the first time. Several more minutes. Good power, smooth running. That may have done it. More back and forth. Bam! Spit. Choke. Hesitation. Loss of power. Engine check light back on. Couldn't do anything after that.

When he first hooked up computer he could see it was, I can't remember what he called it, but hitting or pinging that pressure relief valve (PRV). He said 29 times. I showed him the fuel cap. He had told me it was the updated one. And told him I was still seeing it collapse the tank. So I would not tighten it down. He said the under side of that is showing it is still collapsing the rubber. He'll replace with a new one.

They are coming back to get it within the hour.

I told him of all my troubles in a nice and polite way. He is the mechanic. Not his fault. I told him I do not have a problem with the dealership. This is a Mahindra problem and I want to talk to the representative ASAP. Way to much lost time on my projects. And now winter is setting in, snow will be here soon and ground will be freezing up. Soon will be out of time for the ground work.

I want some satisfaction from Mahindra.

He is calling him this afternoon.

/ 3550 Limp Mode #8  
Whatever it is it has cost me dearly in time. I only have so many days off from job. So many days of workable weather.

So since I had my tractor delivered last February I have been able to put 260 hours on it. I took 260 hours and devided that by 8 hour work days to see how many full days I have had to work it.

260/8=32.5 full days of work.

As of today, I have lost right about that amount of days waiting for them to fix my tractor with all the different things I have had go wrong with it. 32-33 days I have been unable to do anything with it.

And they have it now.

That's 50% of the time I could have worked the tractor it has been down.

I try to imagine where I would be on my trail projects if I had the tractor working all that time.

Now the winter is setting in. Snow will be here and ground will be freezing up. Won't be able to work on them again until things dry up enough next spring or early summer.

/ 3550 Limp Mode #9  
I received a further update from Mahindra person in Texas. After another complaint I sent to them.

Here is what they said:

The area service manager will be at the dealer on Wednesday 11/22/2017 to inspect your tractor. He is currently attending school in Houston this week and will not return to his area until Monday.

Thanks for your understanding.

/ 3550 Limp Mode #10  
So that's the end of this thread? Did the area manager inspect your tractor, if so, what were his findings?