3d Printers

/ 3d Printers #1  

paulsharvey

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610 HST
So, clearly a odd forum to ask, but this is a very well rounded group of clever folks. Any thoughts on 3d printers? They look like fun, and I think the kids (7,10,15) would like one as a gift, but..
On one hand, you see some clever examples of actually use, making practical gadgets
On the other hand, it seems like, online, they are mostly used to print out figurines, statues of liberty, and eiffel towers.

I am curious, if you have one, what useful items you have made, and with that, did you use an existing model, or draft it yourself. Would be helpful if you mention a rough level of tech savvy you rate yourself.

I send emails, mess around on tractor forums, and use Excel without formuals at work (think graph paper...), 15 years ago, i messed with some very basic residential housing CAD, but it really was 15 years ago.

/ 3d Printers
I'm thinking tool organizers, maybe reloading blocks, maybe phone/tablet organizers/charger station, remote controller bases.

I dont really know enough about them to think of what to use them for.

/ 3d Printers #3  
they are life changing, no not really an exaggeration. There are 2 components to 3d printing, the printing part, and the modeling design part.

resin printers are mostly for high accuracy very small parts like figurines. filament printers, can make much larger pieces.

I make 99% of my own parts, this is where the real freedom is. I randomly print a premade part, but its prolly less then 1% of the time

once you have one. you will not understand how you live without it, IF you can learn to design. I use fusion 360, you can try thinkercad to begin. I had never done cad in my life, was able to design a part following a tutorial in 2 hours, and have just built on from there.

just some of my tractor parts.

I use a Ender 3 v2. I primarily print in PETG.

/ 3d Printers
So, the Ender 3 V2 seems to be recommended by about 90% of sources for a first printer.

About 6 months ago, there was a sale on Ender 3 Pro, for like $169; and i kinda joked about it been a 'toy' and my 10 yo daughter started telling me about them. I had aways assumed they where $500+, and reserved for hard-core computer guys, till here recently.

/ 3d Printers #5  
ender 3v2 has the most aftermarket support, better tightening system for belts, better plate apparently, and a better screen, and a quieter motherboard for the stepper motors, enders seem to be the most popular. the prusa mk models, I am told are more plug and play, less screwing around etc. they are also more money

There are learning curves here. once you get it prepped proper then it can turn into turn key printing. I rarely adjust my printer anymore, but I made some changes.

if you have specific questions let me know

/ 3d Printers #6  
I would search on Craigslist. I expect a lot of folks think they are neat and easy to use...until they face the learning curve.

No where near as easy as you may be led to believe. There are guys making case and bullet collators on a forum I am a member of. Large parts take over a day to print...and the first few iterations are rarely good enough. Then a momentary power blimp can ruin hours of printing.

Good luck!

/ 3d Printers #7  
I would search on Craigslist. I expect a lot of folks think they are neat and easy to use...until they face the learning curve.

No where near as easy as you may be led to believe. There are guys making case and bullet collators on a forum I am a member of. Large parts take over a day to print...and the first few iterations are rarely good enough. Then a momentary power blimp can ruin hours of printing.

Good luck!

this is one place i would not recommend used. "Squareness" is very very important, these are not really portable, so they can get tweaked. for the price point we are talking about, new is well worth the lack frustration from something being broke and not knowing it.

FYI the printers do need a bit of assembly.

a UPS can easily prevent the power blip, and these printers have print recovery to resume where they left off.

yes some prints take long. I have some that take 14 hours etc. go to bed wake up. part is sitting there waiting for you.

iteration issue is a design issue, not a printer issue. i have made several prints that were success off the first design.

/ 3d Printers #8  
I bought a QiDi Tech 1 a few years ago, and was hooked. I have 3d printed literally hundreds of different useful ans novelty items, from paper clip holders to T-Rex skeletons, scooter stands and tap and die organizers.
I wanted to print larger items than the QiDi Tech would print, so I built a HyperCube Evo from scratch that has a 12" X 12" X 12" build volume. It has been a great printer and I rarely use the QiDi Tech now. The Evo has a web interface and is connected to my home network via ethernet so I can send print jobs to it and monitor progress on any of my computers, tablet or phone.
I'm not a home now, or I could post some pictures.

/ 3d Printers #9  
My BIL just made me a wall mount holder for AA, AAA, and 9 volt batteries. What would take up a whole drawer is now a 6x12 spot on the garage wall.