3pt log splitter

/ 3pt log splitter #1  

Bikewanderer

Gold Member
I recently sold my gas powered log splitter and am in the market for a 3pt log splitter. It's going on a Deere 3320. I've already installed Power Beyond on it, so it should be an easy thing to use.

I would like a log lift and WOULD NOT LIKE the two way cutting edge. I had been thinking that I would get a timberwolf until I got a case of sticker shock and really don't want the PTO option. I only split a few cords of wood a year, slow is OK. I'm not THAT fast either, and I'm usually picking up wood or getting the next one ready while it's retracting anyway. Budget is up to $2000 but it's not a hard cap. I'm more of a buy once-cry once type of equipment buyer. Problem is that a bunch of the ones I would otherwise be interested in have the two way splitting wedge which I really don't think I want.

Any ideas or recommendations?

/ 3pt log splitter #2  
There is already a couple of threads on 3PH log splitters... You may want search them out and read up.... Personally I would have stayed with the stand alone splitter, because it leaves the tractor free to move wood around work area ... Other issues are the GPM and PRESSURE of tractor hydraulics may make a 3PH splitter less efficient t in speed and tonnage than stand alone splitter....

/ 3pt log splitter #3  
I tend to think for the money, you can get into a nice stand alone for that. I don’t know why, but it seems like 3 point implements powered by a tractor cost as much as a stand alone. Log splitters and generators are a good example.

/ 3pt log splitter
I had a standalone and sold it for a reason. I tend to put it away and not use it for 6 months at a time, it never started for me, needed constant carb work even with non ethanol gas. The tractor gets used all the time. I don't care about the cost of fuel.

/ 3pt log splitter
There is already a couple of threads on 3PH log splitters... You may want search them out and read up.... Personally I would have stayed with the stand alone splitter, because it leaves the tractor free to move wood around work area ... Other issues are the GPM and PRESSURE of tractor hydraulics may make a 3PH splitter less efficient t in speed and tonnage than stand alone splitter....

My question wasn't one of efficiency or whether or not I want a 3pt splitter.

/ 3pt log splitter #6  
One of the strongest proponents on this site is Sawyer Rob. I would get his opinion as he uses his a lot.

I would never buy one.

If I only split two cords a year, wanted reliable, and did not care too much about speed, I would look at an electric unit. Some nice units for under $1000.

This is the one I was going to purchase before deciding it made more sense for me to rent a processor:

/ 3pt log splitter #7  
I have a small Northern Tool 3 point splitter and it's been quite good, but they seem to be out of that business now. I would suggest looking at the Brave and Boss splitters. They look good at a reasonable price. Your 3320 has good hydraulic flow so it should handle a 3 point splitter pretty well.

/ 3pt log splitter #8  
I recently sold my gas powered log splitter and am in the market for a 3pt log splitter. It's going on a Deere 3320. I've already installed Power Beyond on it, so it should be an easy thing to use.

I would like a log lift and WOULD NOT LIKE the two way cutting edge.

Any ideas or recommendations?
When you say "two way cutting wedge", that's standard equipment on all log splitters. The log splits in two pieces. Did you mean a "4 way cutting wedge"?
Also, there are 3 pt splitters that rotate to vertical that may preclude your need for a lift.
Many horizontal 3 pt splitters are pretty low to the ground. Perhaps a simple ramp would do to facilitate getting rounds up there.

I don't know your set up or how large your rounds. There are electric splitters that go to 10 tons. Should just about split any 12" round in two.

/ 3pt log splitter #9  
I had a standalone and sold it for a reason. I tend to put it away and not use it for 6 months at a time, it never started for me, needed constant carb work even with non ethanol gas. The tractor gets used all the time. I don't care about the cost of fuel.
Most unfortunate. I have a splitter I bought in 1998. It goes a year between start ups and has started for me every time except for once..and then I changed the spark plug. ( 2 yrs ago) Briggs and Stratton and put away run gas tank empty.

/ 3pt log splitter #10  
The "two way splitter" is a specific design where the wedge has splitting edges on both ends. It sits above the cylinder instead of on the end of the ram and can split in both directions so there is no "return stroke" as such. It's a very efficient design (I have one) but not too common.