3pt log splitter

/ 3pt log splitter #11  
If I had a 3pt splitter, I would want the beam to be able to be lowered right to the ground. That way you can roll the big round onto the beam to split and the pieces are not falling far.

/ 3pt log splitter
The "two way splitter" is a specific design where the wedge has splitting edges on both ends. It sits above the cylinder instead of on the end of the ram and can split in both directions so there is no "return stroke" as such. It's a very efficient design (I have one) but not too common.

This is what I'm talking about. This is what is supposed to be a good medium duty splitter...I'm just not a fan of picking up the wood and moving it every stroke. Also, it would only have full force in one direction. I'd just as soon have it retract with the detent valve while I'm repositioning.

Several PTO log splitter seem to have this 2 way blade configuration.

/ 3pt log splitter
If I had a 3pt splitter, I would want the beam to be able to be lowered right to the ground. That way you can roll the big round onto the beam to split and the pieces are not falling far.
This is a good point and one I had not considered. I like the higher height of the 3pt splitter, most splitters are too low for me to work comfortably. Never considered being able to roll it. Maybe I don't need the lift arm, can just use the 3pt to lift the log!

/ 3pt log splitter #14  
I have had both the 3PT splitter ( American ) on a JD 2302R with power beyond and the Timberwolf TW5 with the log lift etc. As I have aged and injured myself splitting wood way too big to handle I went back to a TW-1 with a 4 way removable. I cut the rounds stage them on pallets then place them at the same height as the splitter cradle. I roll them onto the cradle then split and toss. It works for me. I almost lost my left leg when a round of frozen maple popped off the TW5 nd I could stop it or get out of the way fast enough.

/ 3pt log splitter #15  
I have a Northern Tools stand alone with the two direction splitting wedge. It's my favorite feature on the splitter, save 50% time not waiting for ram to retract. It's all three people can do to keep up with it, it's that fast.

/ 3pt log splitter #16  
My stand alone splitter also starts even when it sits a long time, even a year sometimes. I owned a Kubota BX before my current tractor and looked at a 3 pt splitter. The splitter was the price of a stand alone or more, than adding the hydraulics was going to add even more cost.

Nothing wrong with three point splitter, if you have a decent size tractor with good hydraulic flow it should work as well as a stand alone.

/ 3pt log splitter #17  
The "two way splitter" is a specific design where the wedge has splitting edges on both ends. It sits above the cylinder instead of on the end of the ram and can split in both directions so there is no "return stroke" as such. It's a very efficient design (I have one) but not too common.
I understand the dual directional splitter the way you worded it. "Two-way splitter" is more comprehensible to me than "two-way cutting edge" if you're sure that is what the op meant.
I didn't even know they made a 2 way splitter as a 3pt.

/ 3pt log splitter #18  
What is it with carburetors today on small engines?? I use non-alcohol gas, add stabilizer, and it seems I'm constantly fixing or replacing carbs anyway. Very frustrating. It's true that they sit around for long periods without getting used, but that's always been the case with my machines, and it's only the past five years or so that carbs are giving me fits.

/ 3pt log splitter #19  
I recently sold my gas powered log splitter and am in the market for a 3pt log splitter. It's going on a Deere 3320. I've already installed Power Beyond on it, so it should be an easy thing to use.

I would like a log lift and WOULD NOT LIKE the two way cutting edge. I had been thinking that I would get a timberwolf until I got a case of sticker shock and really don't want the PTO option. I only split a few cords of wood a year, slow is OK. I'm not THAT fast either, and I'm usually picking up wood or getting the next one ready while it's retracting anyway. Budget is up to $2000 but it's not a hard cap. I'm more of a buy once-cry once type of equipment buyer. Problem is that a bunch of the ones I would otherwise be interested in have the two way splitting wedge which I really don't think I want.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Dont know where your located but a friend of mine has a new Speeco that he wants to sell.
Probably could get it for $1000 from what hes told me. Looks like this one except his is yellow.

IMG_4104.JPG

/ 3pt log splitter #20  
I built my own for about $400.... about 14 years ago. Mine is vertical so I don’t have to pick up wood. Also, stores easily.

Attachments

• 20200923_111435.jpg
    20200923_111435.jpg
    741.9 KB · Views: 170

Attachments

• 30F3D31D-9FDA-4AC7-8DD5-501C2DF06BE4.jpeg
    30F3D31D-9FDA-4AC7-8DD5-501C2DF06BE4.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited: