3R Home and Barn Project

/ 3R Home and Barn Project
#1,452  
Appreciated very much Stephen, very considerate of you.
I haven't had a lot of spare time lately, seems I'm always chasing after something that needs done. Recovering from cervical vertebrae (neck) spinal surgery 2-½ months ago. My spinal chord was being choked off and my right arm and leg were almost useless. Thought for sure I was gonna be a paraplegic! They did 2 surgeries one day apart. One from the front of the neck and one from the back of my neck. Now I have titanium rods and 8 screws into the vertebrae from the back and one spacer for a bone graph in the front. Literally a "pain in the neck". lol

/ 3R Home and Barn Project #1,453  
Good to hear the surgery went well. Sounds like you are ready for a new adventure in life!!!!

/ 3R Home and Barn Project #1,454  
Rob,
Glad to hear from you. How are your cabins coming?
hugs, Brandi

#1,455  
Eddie, Brandi,
Good to hear from you guys as well! Man o man, I'm sure looking forward to some down time, sorta like this 9 month re-cooperation is going. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not just sitting on my butt. I've had time for myself to do those little personal projects that give you pleasure like finally accessorizing my AR-15, work on fixing up my trailer and my Jeep Wrangler. Things requiring immediate attention always seem to pile up in front of the fun projects. Sort of like right now, I started stripping my wrap-around wood deck. Talk about a big job!! Buy I need to do it to make the log home look brand new again, so we can put it on the market.

/ 3R Home and Barn Project #1,456  
Now I have titanium rods and 8 screws into the vertebrae from the back
and one spacer for a bone graph in the front. Literally a "pain in the neck".

Oh, no. Not another accident I hope.

Can't believe you want to sell out and move. Where to, Rob? Back to Cucamonga?

#1,457  
LOL ... no Dave, probably from an earlier accident though, maybe 15 years ago and just now affected me to where I noticed I was becoming paraplegic. That's when I went to my Doctor and she referred me to a neurologist who promptly referred me to a neurosurgeon.

/ 3R Home and Barn Project #1,458  
Eddie, Brandi,
Good to hear from you guys as well! Man o man, I'm sure looking forward to some down time, sorta like this 9 month re-cooperation is going. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not just sitting on my butt. I've had time for myself to do those little personal projects that give you pleasure like finally accessorizing my AR-15, work on fixing up my trailer and my Jeep Wrangler. Things requiring immediate attention always seem to pile up in front of the fun projects. Sort of like right now, I started stripping my wrap-around wood deck. Talk about a big job!! Buy I need to do it to make the log home look brand new again, so we can put it on the market.

Rob, say it ain't so. :shocked: I sure hope that your recovery is full and goes smoothly. Your place is amazing, I'm sure that it has-had to be a very difficult decision to decide to leave. :( Maintenance is HUGE though on a place like yours. Do you guys plan on just down sizing, or change to a completely different environment. :confused3:

Whatever it is, good luck with everything involved as well as both your and Loretta's health. ;)

/ 3R Home and Barn Project #1,459  
Good to hear from you, but sorry you've had spinal problems. I used to make spinal repair parts for surgeons.

Hope you get your strength and health back.

Sorry to hear you might sell the place. Hope it is for the better in the long run.

#1,460  
Brian + Kyle,
Thanks for the good wishes.
I'm well on my way to a speedy recovery. Like I said, I've managed to stay busy at half speed, but what I really miss is my golf game. In fact, don't know if I'll ever play again, especially if we move to a remote location. We would take at least one of our tractors and leave the other here as part of the sale. Same with my machine shop, machinery and tooling. Maybe take one mill so I don't go nuts not being able to build something. California has to be one of the most diverse and beautiful states, but the politics and ridiculous laws and restrictions are ugly, at least IMHO! Our home here is fantastic (ask Eddie or Brian or Larry or Dave) all members who have visited us. We will surely miss this place.

The sale and relocation is still a ways off though, unless there is an interested buyer, of course.
We would move into one of our rental places until we find the right place. This comes about from the tax friendly and gun friendly and mostly conservative red states out there. We both turned 65 and started drawing SS plus retirement income. Some states allow a $4,000 wage exemption for seniors. There are several states that don't have state income tax, or if they do, they exempt SS and retirement income from state income tax for 65 and over. Some don't have sales tax and again, exempt food and prescriptions for seniors. Some have super low property taxes and some exempt the first $150,000 or similar. No inheritance tax or estate taxes too. Open and concealed carry in several states.

So their are very good financial opportunities for retiring seniors out there.
Heck, Alaska even sends a dividend check to all permanent residents from the state's oil wealth savings account. The 2014 dividend was $1,884 per person! And Alaska ranks #1 in most tax-friendly states for retirees. Wyoming is #2, Nevada #3, Georgia #4, Arizona #5 and South Dakota #9, are on the list (among others). We chose those states that meet most of our basic requirements. We're planning to visit each state twice, in different seasons, to see how the weather is, and which one will have that magic little slice of Heaven for our retirement years.