Buying Advice 4052r vs L4760

/ 4052r vs L4760 #61  
So I keep reading stuff that Deere doesn’t like you working on your own equipment and kubota doesn’t care. Is either true? I will do my own service intervals but don’t want to void warranty. Are both brands Okay with that?

It was the case but John Deere owners brought Deere in court to dispute that matter and the farmers won so now they have access to the diagnostic software and can do their own repairs.

ONGOING COVERAGE: Deere Hit with Class Action Lawsuit Over Right to Repair

/ 4052r vs L4760 #62  
Get a couple of rear remotes too. I upgraded to HD bucket with cutting edge and on the BH92, mechanical thumb and QA bucket. I added a Kubota hydraulic top link last fall and it has been a real time saver. I can’t add TnT I’m told because I have the BH kit installed. Maybe something with the power beyond?

oh, and get Kubota’s 3rd function installed. Paul and Kathy Short have great after market mods for Kubota’s, if you go that route Home
Just FYI. I have the BH92 and an aftermarket TnT(Fit Right). Seems to work fine, although a tight fit with the BH subframe.

/ 4052r vs L4760 #63  
I appreciate everyone’s input. I placed the order for the 4760 today. The kubota sales guy stuck with me as I painfully researched all options. Probably annoyed the hell out of him but he didn’t show it. Multiple quotes later and at the end he threw in a couple freebies. Sealed the deal.

now the wait….

I'm curious what options you considered and how you felt about the final price.

Everything seems to cost more today. The old days of cash deals, good used equipment, and repairable/rebuilt machines seems to be fading as fast as the old timers who made that their lifestyle.

Part of that change toward buying new equipment and accepting the resulting higher prices seems due to scarcity, but I believe most of the change is simply how a new generation prefers to spend their money and time.

rScotty

/ 4052r vs L4760
I'm curious what options you considered and how you felt about the final price.

Everything seems to cost more today. The old days of cash deals, good used equipment, and repairable/rebuilt machines seems to be fading as fast as the old timers who made that their lifestyle.

Part of that change toward buying new equipment and accepting the resulting higher prices seems due to scarcity, but I believe most of the change is simply how a new generation prefers to spend their money and time.

rScotty
That’s an interesting question because the answer is really a bunch of things.

I am in my early 30’s. I don’t rely on my tractor for income. It’s a tool/toy that I love working with. For me, working with the tractor is decompressing. it’s a break from the stress of corporate America and just this crazy world. I guess you could say it’s “theraputic”. It also gets me outside doing stuff rather than the alternative. With that said, between my job and family stuff, I don’t have a ton of time to myself. Which is one of the main reasons I pursued a new tractor rather than an older used. I really don’t want to be constantly wrenching on it, because the time I have - I want to be using it, to its fullest extent, and I want to enjoy it. Now I know that there is plenty of good used equipment out there, some still under warranty, but right now those pieces cost just as much as new. It’s agonizing enough for me to buy a new tractor because it is sort of a selfish purchase. But I can’t imagine the feeling of spending a little less on a piece that’s out of warranty and having something go wrong and you have to dump more money into it.

I loaded the tractor up with options. I got the air ride seat, loader, grapple, rear remote, stereo, pallet forks. I figure if I’m spending this amount of money, get what you want. Again, fun factor is

I price shopped for nearly 3 months before finalizing the deal. Some dealers had different finance terms. Some dealers were willing to add in different things and others weren’t. In the end, I probably have 15 different quotes from different dealers and different colors. My local dealer was able to match the best aspects of the other dealers quote. The final price I settled on was a fair one. Sure, it’s high by standards set 3 years ago. Yes, I have the cash to buy it but with a small family I wanted to finance. And with the rates I got, it makes sense to do so.

hope that makes sense.

/ 4052r vs L4760 #66  
That’s an interesting question because the answer is really a bunch of things.

I am in my early 30’s. I don’t rely on my tractor for income. It’s a tool/toy that I love working with. For me, working with the tractor is decompressing. it’s a break from the stress of corporate America and just this crazy world. I guess you could say it’s “theraputic”. It also gets me outside doing stuff rather than the alternative. With that said, between my job and family stuff, I don’t have a ton of time to myself. Which is one of the main reasons I pursued a new tractor rather than an older used. I really don’t want to be constantly wrenching on it, because the time I have - I want to be using it, to its fullest extent, and I want to enjoy it. Now I know that there is plenty of good used equipment out there, some still under warranty, but right now those pieces cost just as much as new. It’s agonizing enough for me to buy a new tractor because it is sort of a selfish purchase. But I can’t imagine the feeling of spending a little less on a piece that’s out of warranty and having something go wrong and you have to dump more money into it.

I loaded the tractor up with options. I got the air ride seat, loader, grapple, rear remote, stereo, pallet forks. I figure if I’m spending this amount of money, get what you want. Again, fun factor is

I price shopped for nearly 3 months before finalizing the deal. Some dealers had different finance terms. Some dealers were willing to add in different things and others weren’t. In the end, I probably have 15 different quotes from different dealers and different colors. My local dealer was able to match the best aspects of the other dealers quote. The final price I settled on was a fair one. Sure, it’s high by standards set 3 years ago. Yes, I have the cash to buy it but with a small family I wanted to finance. And with the rates I got, it makes sense to do so.

hope that makes sense.

No, I don't rely on our tractors for income either. Never did. Growing up, the farmers we worked for had tractors, but our family was hired for manual labor.
Today the tractors and machinery we have serve the same reasons you mention - being a part of a hobby which involves doing things outside on our land. Partly for convenience, but mostly as pure enjoyment.

After all, considering the cost of tractors and attachments most of the time we could pay to have the work done and come out money ahead. So if it wasn't enjoyable neither of us would do it.
My guess is the same applies to most of us here on TBN.

Fixing Older Things....well, that's a puzzler. For myself and my generation - boomers - the enjoyment of fixing some used piece of machinery is itself an enjoyable hobby. No more explicable but just as enjoyable as when using that machine to inprove the rock walls, gardens, roads, or streams on our land. It's all done with the same toys and part of the same hobby, so time spent doesn't enter into it.

Repairing things does seem to have a generational bias, and one which is still a bit mysterious to me.

rScotty

/ 4052r vs L4760
Crack the hood on late model car and truck. It’s a giant computer….It’s no wonder why my generation probably has more aversion to wrenching on things than past.

/ 4052r vs L4760 #68  
Crack the hood on late model car and truck. It’s a giant computer….It’s no wonder why my generation probably has more aversion to wrenching on things than past.

That may be a true statement - though I'm not sure it is something I'd be very comfortable saying.

There's still enough tractors languishing for everyone and every budget. A cruise through some old shop manuals and tractor data specs shows that unlike cars and trucks, in the good old USA you can drop back 40 years plus and still get pretty much the same tractor built over several decades. Stick with the tractors built after about 1970 if you want to have a modern tractor with power steering plus a powershifting transmission with fingertip H/L & reverser,

From about 197o on tractors generally came with the exact same powershift/glideshift reverser transmission, same engine, and full modern hydraulics all in a tractor with the same seat, instruments, brakes, and lack of suspension as found today. Not only that, but if you open the hood the most complicated piece of electronics you'll see there is likely to be a fuse box.

Of course if what you want is a smaller light compact featuring 4wd with HST - and still without a computer - you are going to have better luck staying from the early to mid-1990s up to say 2012. Tractors from that popular era still cost real money - up to about half of new - but have every single feature that new ones do today. Excepting the computer and emissions control. So opening the hood should generate more wonder than aversion.

Tractors just don't change much.
rScotty

/ 4052r vs L4760
Those hst tractors around the 2010 timeframe cost very close to later year tractors. Look up 4720 prices. I get it. No emissions stuff. Which is cool. But to pay that much for a older tractor with no warranty and such, idk about that.

And my crack the hood comment was related to your comment about the younger generation less likelihood to work on things. Tractors might have only changed marginally, but look at cars. And almost everyone has a first car, only a small percentage of people have a first tractor. The majority of people get the bug of fixing things from working on their first cars. Only a select lucky few get to work on tractors as a kid. This, coupled with other factors I think is the main reason why there’s less wrenching going on these days.

/ 4052r vs L4760 #70  
Those hst tractors around the 2010 timeframe cost very close to later year tractors. Look up 4720 prices. I get it. No emissions stuff. Which is cool. But to pay that much for a older tractor with no warranty and such, idk about that.

And my crack the hood comment was related to your comment about the younger generation less likelihood to work on things. Tractors might have only changed marginally, but look at cars. And almost everyone has a first car, only a small percentage of people have a first tractor. The majority of people get the bug of fixing things from working on their first cars. Only a select lucky few get to work on tractors as a kid. This, coupled with other factors I think is the main reason why there’s less wrenching going on these days.