4100 wont start in cold weather

/ 4100 wont start in cold weather #1  

coloradotrout

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4100 HST CUT w/Yanmar 3TNE74 | JD 300 Lawn
Years back I posted about an oil burn problem -- so clearly I'm not getting the best compression. Still runs though. Winters can be hard. Usually I can get started by heating oil pan with blow dryer and then directing that hot air into the intake.

But not this time. I was about 30F out the other day and I had the pan warm and still no ignition. I noticed my fuel was real low, so I filled the tank.

I'm wondering about gelling -- it had been below freezing quite a few nights/days with that low fuel level.

How can I tell if fuel is getting to the cylinders? Anything else to try?

I need to get back around to my engine issue -- I'll post the old link. Here it is -- http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/68867-new-used-rebuilt-engine-needed-8.html

Last edited:
   / 4100 wont start in cold weather #3  
Throw a tarp over the tractor and then put a small electric heater under it. .

/ 4100 wont start in cold weather #4  
Is there any smoke out the exhaust when you crank it. If so then you are getting fuel. You need to warm it up and try again. It maybe is just getting too weak.

/ 4100 wont start in cold weather #5  
There has been several postings about glow plug timer failure on the 4100's after a number of years of service. Mine went out last winter. Haven't replaced it yet its about an $80 part. You can still manually activate the glow plugs by engaging the dash mounted PTO switch and holding the key on in the start position for several seconds. One good indicator of timer module failure is under charging the battery as the alternator cant keep up with the current drain. Simply unplugging the timer eliminates that problem. Good luck to you getting it started. You may or may not have other issues.

/ 4100 wont start in cold weather #6  
Does your 4100 have a glow plug light? My 4010 did not. You have to pull up the PTO button or put the range selector in L or H and then turn the ignition switch to "start" and hold it to run the glow plugs. I just counted to 6 in the winter and 2 in the summer. Then push the PTO button in or move range selector to N. Always started with about 1/2 rotation of the crankshaft like all diesel engines I've owned. Gotta apply about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle and back off to get 1500 rpm once it starts.

Ralph

/ 4100 wont start in cold weather #7  
Does your 4100 have a glow plug light? My 4010 did not. You have to pull up the PTO button or put the range selector in L or H and then turn the ignition switch to "start" and hold it to run the glow plugs. I just counted to 6 in the winter and 2 in the summer. Then push the PTO button in or move range selector to N. Always started with about 1/2 rotation of the crankshaft like all diesel engines I've owned. Gotta apply about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle and back off to get 1500 rpm once it starts.

Ralph

/ 4100 wont start in cold weather
According to manual, just need to turn switch to start, wait 2s or so, then engage. Ah, not sure if the timer is working or not. The battery had been taking a charge. I will try the PTO switch, hold-on, approach.

I also did have some gelled-up gunk in the filter. I removed, cleaned it out, and filled 1/2 full with the 911. Now my battery appears to be dead as well -- not taking a charge, so using the marine battery in hopes I can get it to start.

/ 4100 wont start in cold weather #9  
Probably should clarify that the low charge condition would be if the timer contacts stay stuck in the closed postion and don't open the circuit after the timed starting interval...on the other hand if the timer contacts fail to close there would no current to the glow plugs at all. Get a good charge on the battery and try the manual preheat 5-10 sec see if it fires up

Make sure the throttle is in a partly open position too

/ 4100 wont start in cold weather
No luck. I'm thinking there is a fuel issue between the filter and the cylinder. It does not seem like I'm getting fuel smoke. There's an odd smell. With the filter as gummed-up, frozen (looked like water), as it was, makes me think those same issues are further along as well.