4100 wont start in cold weather

/ 4100 wont start in cold weather
Looking over the tech manual, it suggest there are 2 parts - glow plug relay and glow plug timer module. It would seem my timer module is not working, and thus voltage is constantly applied to the glow plugs, presumably burning them out.

/ 4100 wont start in cold weather #22  
That does sound exactly like the glow plug module gone bad. Unplug the harness from the module its located on bracket above the radiator. See if the current flow stops. Check charging voltage when its running with a meter...should increase when unplugged if module is staying closed. Curious to why are you using deep cycle marine batteries for starting?

timer module is 90 and each plug 40, OUCH!

/ 4100 wont start in cold weather #24  
Relay is on firewall right side under plastic shroud beneath dash...pita to get at if you don't have to. That can bench tested under 12v power for switching continuity.

/ 4100 wont start in cold weather #25  
Will run without it if glow plugs are good. Just use pto switch or gear selector procedure and manually activate. There is a direct current flow when key is in the start postion. I just removed my module for the time being.

Pretty sure it's the the timer module. That one is easy to get at. The relay is likely good, as I'm getting 12v at the plugs. My guess it's been like this for years and maybe the plugs are burned out now. I guess I can pull each and check continuity top to bottom.

Just ordered a new Optima D51R at AZ online -- 20% off with ship to home.

I like manual activation. I'll pull the timer module and test in the next few days.

Re: use of marine battery. Ha.. simple.. it was the only other battery I had handy.

Yeah, timer module (mounted right up front by radiator), is not doing it's job. With it plugged in, there's 12v at the plugs while RUNNING. With it unplugged, 0v. It's suppose to cut-out after a few seconds. The PTO on with key on START does apply 12v to plugs as already noted, so that's a low tech, but highly reliable solution to activating the plugs. My timer module says:
DC12v
119650-77902
S83NT
9ZA
NGK spark plug Co
made in Japan

maybe I find one, but mostly seems like I need new plugs.

/ 4100 wont start in cold weather #29  
If you find an alternative sourcing for the module let us know...I haven't located one yet. I did find an exact matche for another relay at Digi Key for way way less money.

If you find an alternative sourcing for the module let us know...I haven't located one yet. I did find an exact matche for another relay at Digi Key for way way less money.

Will do, but probably going to forget about it and go with the manual approach. Assuming my plugs are burned out as a result of the timer failure, it may be doing more harm than good.