4345 running out of power, stalling...

/ 4345 running out of power, stalling... #1  

Hersheyfarm

Veteran Member
This started the other day when I was cutting hay, the engine would make a weird, kinda ticking sound then run out of power. I stopped and looked at engine. Nothing out of the norm that I could see, but was still losing power. Best I can explain is it feels like it wasn稚 getting fuel or air. I stopped cutting and changed fuel filter. I tedded after that and seemed fine. Raked today and kind of heard the sound but didn稚 really feel the power loss, was hoping the fuel filter was the issue.

I started baling and halfway through it started doing it again, really bad. I usually bale in 4th, but had to go down to 2nd. It finally died. Got out and looked around engine. Kept trying to start it back, it finally started and struggled, then cleared up. I pushed through and got done. After it sits it runs fine for a bit. The temp gauge does not get out of it normal area. At the end it started to smell like raw fuel going through exhaust, but never really smoked. Injectors maybe?

/ 4345 running out of power, stalling... #2  
Clean the air filter. If problem persists ensure you have good flow out of the tank - before the filter.

/ 4345 running out of power, stalling...
Air filter is new. Guess starting at the tank would make sense.

/ 4345 running out of power, stalling... #4  
Just last February I was snowblowin and my tractor engine started to act up.

I knew my fuel filter and air filter had just been replaced with new ones last fall.

I started to smell diesel fuel (at first I thought it was coming from the exhaust) a little bit, but the real trouble shooting kicked in when I noticed a little bit of red liquid on top of the snow that I had just driven over.

I found my problem looking at the engine with it running, it was a pin hole in the rubber fuel line just before it connects at the injectors.

You might have already checked your lines, but I just needed to try to help.

Good luck, KC

/ 4345 running out of power, stalling... #5  
This started the other day when I was cutting hay, the engine would make a weird, kinda ticking sound then run out of power. I stopped and looked at engine. Nothing out of the norm that I could see, but was still losing power. Best I can explain is it feels like it wasn稚 getting fuel or air. I stopped cutting and changed fuel filter. I tedded after that and seemed fine. Raked today and kind of heard the sound but didn稚 really feel the power loss, was hoping the fuel filter was the issue.

I started baling and halfway through it started doing it again, really bad. I usually bale in 4th, but had to go down to 2nd. It finally died. Got out and looked around engine. Kept trying to start it back, it finally started and struggled, then cleared up. I pushed through and got done. After it sits it runs fine for a bit. The temp gauge does not get out of it normal area. At the end it started to smell like raw fuel going through exhaust, but never really smoked. Injectors maybe?

There was a thread a while back that rings a bell. Guy's tractor kept stalling. He'd let it sit for awhile, then it would start and run again ... for a while.

Then it blew up on him. Toasted the engine. Tried to blame it on the manufacturer's design for the coolant sensor because the gauge never showed hot. Then got mad at everyone here for pointing out that he had been ignoring the cries from the machine telling him it was sick and needed help. Get yours to a qualified ER mechanical clinic before you have to call the tractor coroner.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...571-warranty-issue-dispute-kubota-advice.html

There was a thread a while back that rings a bell. Guy's tractor kept stalling. He'd let it sit for awhile, then it would start and run again ... for a while.

Then it blew up on him. Toasted the engine. Tried to blame it on the manufacturer's design for the coolant sensor because the gauge never showed hot. Then got mad at everyone here for pointing out that he had been ignoring the cries from the machine telling him it was sick and needed help. Get yours to a qualified ER mechanical clinic before you have to call the tractor coroner.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...571-warranty-issue-dispute-kubota-advice.html

I will double check my coolant, I just had the radiator flushed a few years ago. They also dropped the fuel tank at that time to replace a part on side of transmission. I've had no signs of coolant loss. It really doesn't seem like its overheating, and when it stalls and won't start back up for a few minutes its not enough time for it cool down.

It really seems fuel related. All though, this seems to only happen after its been running long and hard.

/ 4345 running out of power, stalling... #8  
I will double check my coolant,

I have no idea if it's your problem, but the other guy kept insisting the level was OK based on the coolant overflow or reservoir. Be sure to check inside the radiator itself (when cool, obviously).

Update. I talked to a couple of dealers and they both agree it sounds like fuel starvation. I replaced the fuel line to the lift pump. It was not in the best shape but I did not get it to leak when I put air on it and soaped it up. I did find the elbow on the lift pump that the hose hooks to loose. It a compression fitting, I could swivel it pretty easy. After that I drove it hard for several miles up some hilly roads. It acts and sounds good. Normal. But that did not push it hard like bailing or cutting. Have some thick fields I can bush hog this weekend, if I don’t cut hay. If that’s not the issue then I’ll replace the lift pump and sending unit. If that’s not it I’ll bite the bullet and send off to the extremely busy dealer. Here’s pics of the old line where the hose clamp was and the elbow on the lift pump.
IMG_1702.JPGIMG_1703.JPG

And a pic of the old pile of junk...IMG_1705.JPG