Warranty issue dispute with Kubota - Advice anyone

/ Warranty issue dispute with Kubota - Advice anyone #1  

AtlantaViking

Tractor
Kubota L4701HST
Here is my complaint to Kubota - I own a L4701HST Three Months ago, my tractor engine locked up. It has 1,200 hours on it. After reviewing why the engine locked up, they reported to me the following:
The radiator water leaked from a hole in a tube. When the water leaked out, it leaked below the suction tube in the Radiator reservoir and therefor did not pull replacement water into the radiator. The radiator fluid reservoir was full. We only run the tractor sporadically so when it leaked, it apparently did so while sitting. Because the temperature sensor is in the radiator not in the oil system, the engine never reported overheating. The air in the radiator did not heat up enough to provide any warning light and the engine overheated. The only way for me to have caught the problem prior to the over-heating, would have been to open the radiator cap prior to every use and check to make sure it has not leaked out. That is an unreasonable requirement to keep an expensive tractor from overheating.
Kubota Distributor has tried to get Kubota to honor the warranty but to no avail. I paid far too much for this tractor for Kubota to have such blatant disregard for a customer. The design of the engine protection system and warnings is inadequate and I do not believe I am not at fault for this problem.

I wanted to ask the forum members if they have an opinion about the appropriateness of Kubota telling me they will not cover it as a warranty item since in their view - "There was no failure in workmanship on the part of Kubota." My opinion is that the design is the failure in workmanship. Perfect storm of situations caused the problem. Not may failure to maintain and operate the tractor properly Thoughts anyone? Thanks for any input you can provide

/ Warranty issue dispute with Kubota - Advice anyone #2  
1. How old is it? 1,200 hrs could be a 2014 or 2020.
2. How did it get a hole in the tube? And where in the tube?

/ Warranty issue dispute with Kubota - Advice anyone #3  
A coolant temp sensor will not read air, it must be in contact with liquid for an adequate reading. Just about every water cooled engine uses this system, including cars, tractors, heavy equipment etc.

I would have to side with the manufacturer, its unfortunate this happened to you but it sounds like the system was functional and you missed the leak.

If it was a large leak I would imagine you have seen/smelled it, if it was a small leak it should have given you enough time to catch the low level.

Ultimately its the operators responsibility to do regular maintenance checks including fluid levels and leaks.

It is a pretty rough situation to have happen but it doesn't sound like it was caused by something Kubota did.

/ Warranty issue dispute with Kubota - Advice anyone #4  
A coolant temp sensor will not read air, it must be in contact with liquid for an adequate reading. Just about every water cooled engine uses this system, including cars, tractors, heavy equipment etc.

I would have to side with the manufacturer, its unfortunate this happened to you but it sounds like the system was functional and you missed the leak.

If it was a large leak I would imagine you have seen/smelled it, if it was a small leak it should have given you enough time to catch the low level.

Ultimately its the operators responsibility to do regular maintenance checks including fluid levels and leaks.

It is a pretty rough situation to have happen but it doesn't sound like it was caused by something Kubota did.

I agree and would add that the engine coolant temperature sender is located in the engine, not the radiator.
The failure was caused by physical damage, not by a part failure. If you have physical damage insurance on the tractor, a claim should be pursued.

/ Warranty issue dispute with Kubota - Advice anyone
1. How old is it? 1,200 hrs could be a 2014 or 2020.
2. How did it get a hole in the tube? And where in the tube?

1. I have owned it for two years - Bought it new
2. Dealer says it was in a small tube beneath the engine. Not sure what the tube function is. I assume some sort of return or sensing tube. No idea how it was caused. Could have been a stick hitting it.

Thanks

/ Warranty issue dispute with Kubota - Advice anyone

I do not disagree with you completely. I also understand that most engines work on this premise. However, I do not know a single person that opens their hood on a car or tractor and checks the radiator for fluid prior to operating. If the fluid all leaked out while parked, how would anyone know. We always checked fluids, oil, radiator reservoir etc regularly. No obvious sign of a problem

/ Warranty issue dispute with Kubota - Advice anyone #7  
I do not disagree with you completely. I also understand that most engines work on this premise. However, I do not know a single person that opens their hood on a car or tractor and checks the radiator for fluid prior to operating. If the fluid all leaked out while parked, how would anyone know. We always checked fluids, oil, radiator reservoir etc regularly. No obvious sign of a problem
What people do what what they are supposed to do are 2 different things. By neglecting to check fluids regularly you assume the risk associated with that.

And sometimes things happen that are out of your control, but that doesn't necessarily them someone else's fault. If the tube failed prematurely I could see Kubota having some responsibility, but it sounds like this was due to damage.

I'm sure you could idiot proof equipment so that it could detect any problem you could think of, but the additional cost and complexity would be ridiculous and unnecessary for the majority.

/ Warranty issue dispute with Kubota - Advice anyone #8  
Hire yourself a lawyer and to determine what recourse you have in your state.

How long is the repair list and estimated cost?

You might have some case if the tube failed due to manufacturing or installation neglect. Which tube failed?

/ Warranty issue dispute with Kubota - Advice anyone #9  
I side with AV. Looks like a design fault to me.

I would want to see the "tube" that failed, how it failed, and how difficult it would have been for the manufacturer to protect it. Tractors will ride over sticks...design accordingly. No one else has ever reported such a tube failure that I am aware of ?WHY?

This is not a "cheap" LS like I have, but a top of the line (with a price to match) tractor. It is TOTALLY unreasonable to need to check the level of the coolant every time you use the tractor by opening the rad cap. I look a the level in the overflow tank.

/ Warranty issue dispute with Kubota - Advice anyone #10  
It's your own fault for not checking the radiator, no different than checking the oil. Read your owner's manual.