45 degrees is steep

/ 45 degrees is steep #23  
I encourage you to have another look at the video posted by @MossRoad. These are not just demonstrations. People do work sideways. I have actually mowed some of the same slopes at the factory. Being able to do figure eights on a slope with the mower is a big confidence builder in the abilities of the tractor.

Actually many of us own these tractors because our slopes are that steep and we value our lives. Yes, if it is wet the tractor can and does slide sideways a bit. You can see it in the video @MossRoad posted. I use chains to reduce slipping when I have to mow plants with gooey sap like thistle, or the slopes are muddy.

The 1850 is often used to maintain the steep face of earth dams.
I did watch the video, however, videos can be very misleading, specially when the camera tends to tilt one way so it looks steeper. Unfortunately, that's a common practice, regardless of what's being demonstrated.

As I said, those demonstrations just prove that these machines will hold those kind of angles without flipping over. Working on those angles, it's a totally different thing. Up to 35 to 40 degrees? Yes sure. Above that, it will simply slide all over the place. Just look at those "spider" excavators we have in Europe. Those things work at 45 degrees and above, but, they are being held in place with a steel cable and good anchor at the top of the hill.

I too have worked on some steep hills with my conventional tractors, yes mostly up and down. With a Antonio Carraro tractor, like I showed on the pictured, I could probably do it sideways.

These tractors exist and fill a niche not served by other tractors. (For which some of us are very thankful.)

All the best,

Peter

Maybe in the US is that way. But hey, that's why they sell the PT in the US and on in Europe or any other markets.

For us, here in Europe, it's just an huge machine for what it does and couldn't fit most of our places. We have specialized tractors that will be more efficient at a much more compact size and will still be capable of doing conventional tractor work, like pulling trailers on the road, plowing a field, pulling a ripper, etc.

I have nothing against the PT machine by the way. Don't get me wrong. I'm sure it works well for what it is.

Last edited:
   / 45 degrees is steep #29  
Not sure. They are Deutz oil cooled engines.
Almost have to be dry sump pressure lubed engines. At that angle, all the sump oil would be on the side of the oil pan and nowhere near the pump pickup. Interesting video. I bet the guy on the Gravely (or whatever it was), pooped his drawers when he slid sideways down the hill....lol