45 degrees is steep

/ 45 degrees is steep #31  
might check your engine specs. my excavator limits engine to 28 degrees
PIcked up a freebie Craftsman LT1000 due to a guy not understanding this. Only 3 months old. Put in an old B&S Industrial and it's still going today, 12yrs later.

/ 45 degrees is steep #32  
I have one place on my property where the slope is 40 degrees. The remainder of the 80 acres is rolling or a total vertical drop. I started across the 40 degree slope with my Kubota M6040. The "tingling sensation" in my butt got so bad - I immediately backed out of the situation.

I just might have made it. However - my thought, one tiny depression, rock or hole - over I go. The completed challenge is simply not worth the potential risks.

/ 45 degrees is steep #33  
Yes videos can be misleading. No question. I think the point that I am trying to convey is that in this case, the video does reflect actual use.

The Deutz engines are rated to 45 degrees. Not a dry a sump. I believe that it is done with a larger than typical oil pan. The engines are technically oil cooled, so they have relatively more oil. Only the model 1850 is rated to 45 degrees, while the other models are 25-40 degrees, some limited by the engine, some by the HP and center of gravity.

In the EU, Aebi makes a machine for similar uses.

All the best,

Peter

/ 45 degrees is steep #34  
I doubt if I ever get as close as I think I am to rolling my tractor over on a side hill. Like Oosik, the pucker factor makes me back out of the situation. I do know I can go up and down a steep hill I would never go sideways on.

/ 45 degrees is steep #35  
To me it appears that the picture of the Antonio Carraro with the guy pulling on the ROPS has the topside chained to the tilted bed as you can see the chain in place.
A great feature of the Power Trac 14XX series is it's ability to operate on side hills if you intend to do so or not, some day you may without even knowing it. I think you would be very surprised on how limited the loaders like Giant or Avant are. Give their tech people a call and get the figures before you buy.

/ 45 degrees is steep #36  
To me it appears that the picture of the Antonio Carraro with the guy pulling on the ROPS has the topside chained to the tilted bed as you can see the chain in place.
A great feature of the Power Trac 14XX series is it's ability to operate on side hills if you intend to do so or not, some day you may without even knowing it. I think you would be very surprised on how limited the loaders like Giant or Avant are. Give their tech people a call and get the figures before you buy.
Only the rear wheel has a safety chain in case things go south. The chain doesn't even have tension on it.

I know that loaders like Giant or Avant are somewhat limited. I was actually thinking more on the line of isodiametric tractors like the Antonio Carraro, BCS, Ferrari and few others, and not really on those types of loaders. I can also easily operate with these tractors on hills, regardless if I need or not.

/ 45 degrees is steep #37  
I have a few spots on my property that get near 40 degrees (running an 1850). A few notes. I never run that steep without a run out at the bottom of the hill. Meaning I don’t mow riverbanks cause I can’t swim. Second is you really have to set up your 1850 to go beyond 35 degrees. The right tire (4ply and soft) and 6 to 8lbs of pressure are key. Stepping off the machine at 40 degrees will change your perspective instantly on what 40 degrees is. Nearly impossible to climb back to machine if you climb down. Finally one thing that is way cool about the 1850 is that I can operate all those implements that steep. I have placed lots of post holes at 40 degrees and at 30 I can load my bucket full and run the Arms all the way up without worrying about going over. Raking and box blading at 35 has allowed me to improve a lot of my property I couldn’t with any other tractor

Last edited:
   / 45 degrees is steep #38  
It is foolhardy to challenge Gravity. You may also starve the engine of oil on steep slopes. Steep being the operational word. If it looks sketchy, leave it.

/ 45 degrees is steep #39  
This is a true 45 degree angle.
I really don’t think people understand how steep that is lol [
ATTACH=full]703273[/ATTACH]
So if the mower can ride at 45 degrees, why are there blocks on the sides of the wheels in the demo???

/ 45 degrees is steep #40  
We live in a forested canyon. From midway the grade is more gradual on the average at least where there are roads and trails. Regardless of an ATV/UTV, the 'lil Kubota or the 410J its pretty often to quit what you are doing and get out safely. But the worst is the 410J. Its so back heavy and with the extending boom, really top heavy. Many times I've had to swing the backhoe up hill to get out. And the tires are filled on EVERYTHING.

Towards the top of the canyon it gets really steep. There are old logging trails there that I can't walk up - its literally on hands and knees. Those skidder and crawler operators are some courageous folks.

We run chains all year around. But in the winter ya just have to stay on trails that don't tilt. Grades are OK, but NO TILTING. We don't have roads, even in or out. Really everything is old logging trails. Ya just work slow and careful cause a wrecker would probably decline a rescue.