Comparison 4wd Kubota tractor choices ????

/ 4wd Kubota tractor choices ???? #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Greetings,
I need opinions please.
Orinally I thought I should get a GR

/ 4wd Kubota tractor choices ????
Greetings again,

Originally i thought i should get a kubota gr2120.
Why??
Need 4wd
Need a good grass cutter for 1.5 acres
Want a 48 inch mower deck (manueverability)
Need front snowblower for big concrete driveway and long sidewalks.
Want easy steering (Glide Steer)
Want diesel.

Then i heard about Bx 1860 and 2360

The bx 1860 has a 48 deck. Will it also work on the 2360??

How would you compare the 2120/1860/2360 for steering, handling and comfort/manueverability.

A fel would be great, but grass cutting on steep lawns and manueverability are the biggest thing. (Lots of turns and rock gardens). Then snowblowing is next. Then things like a fel or other accessories.

Could a BX1860 or 2360 be as good (or better a choice) as a gr2120 for my needs?

Ps thanks in advance - I've already read many great threads.

Axle-and-Hub

/ 4wd Kubota tractor choices ???? #3  
Apples and oranges, in my view.

The BX is a stout, strong, amazingly fuel efficient, well-behaved beast.
Since you have snow work to do, a front blower or front blade would serve you well. I was very, very fond of the BX1860 I had. It pushed snow like nobody's business. You'd be very, very pleased.

The BX2360 gets you the option of a 60" deck, which may or may not be of any advantage.

/ 4wd Kubota tractor choices ???? #4  
Hi, AxleHub. I might be wrong, but I believe the GR models are 2wd only. They are very nice garden tractors, but you'd either need to go into the BX models or something like the F series mowers to get 4wd.

Don't know if a 48" deck from the 1860 would go on a 2360 but wonder why you would want to do that. While a 48" might get through a slightly narrower path than a wider deck, the wider decks actually let you mow around objects easier because they mow a smaller circle as the tractor turns around an object, if that makes any sense, so you do less backing up to mow up close with the wider deck. An 1860 with a 54" or a 2360/2660 with a 54" or 60" would be my choices for predominantly mowing use. I have an older 2230 with the 54", which has been flawless for more than 6 years.

The BX models are certainly larger and heavier than the GR. I had a John Deere lawn tractor before getting my BX and the Kubota looked and felt like twice as much machine when it arrived. Worked like 4 times as much machine, I might add. The BX would be in a whole other league regarding snow removal and other work.

/ 4wd Kubota tractor choices ???? #5  
All GR's are 4WD. Look at the GR as a garden tractor, the BX as a more stout and better built mini-sub-compact. Go to the Kubota lawn and garden forum here for more answers on the GR. I really like the GR for my needs, like you are looking at, but I heard some reliability concerns that needs to be looked at with more detail. I need a 48" deck too due to gate issues around the house. My current ride is a JD LX188 with 48" deck and 38" snowblower, that I would like to replace with the proper Kubota. Philip.

Interesting opinions keep them coming.

The kubota gr2120 is a 21 horse 3 cylinder diesel 4wd with Glide Steer for tighter.

The neighbor has a Jd X728with a 60 inch deck and he wishes it was smaller too. Too hard to handle the turns, gardens, and changes in flat to incline.

I notice a bx1860 can use a rck 54 23x mower (54 inch for a 2360) so i thought maybe, just maybe a bx2360 could use a rck48 18x mower (48 incher).

Right now i cut everything with a Honda 13 hp 2 cylinder water cooled rider. Problem is its only a 38 inch deck - wonderful engine - but its not a kubota : -)

My snowblower is a 33 inch 12.5 hp walk behind. ;-)

the gr2120 is a 21 hp 3. Would an 1860 be too small? Would a 2360 have any sizing, maneuvering, shortcomings to an 1860 because its the bigger model. Apparently only 70 lbs heavier?

PHILIP8N said:
All GR's are 4WD. Look at the GR as a garden tractor, the BX as a more stout and better built mini-sub-compact. Go to the Kubota lawn and garden forum here for more answers on the GR. I really like the GR for my needs, like you are looking at, but I heard some reliability concerns that needs to be looked at with more detail. I need a 48" deck too due to gate issues around the house. My current ride is a JD LX188 with 48" deck and 38" snowblower, that I would like to replace with the proper Kubota. Philip.

I cut my lawn with a lx188 several times - not bad at all but i liked my honda rider better for sound and quality of cut - but the jd handled well.

/ 4wd Kubota tractor choices ???? #8  
The BX2360 comes with even more horsepower, but that isn't all that important, unless you want to or need to run PTO equipment like post hole digger or chipper. The added ponies allow for slightly better showblower power, but I doubt you'd ever feel an 18 hp BX is underpowered, at least I never did.

The BX1860 comes standard with slightly smaller diameter wheels/tires. No big deal. But here is the big deal, if your budget is tight.

The BX1860 is a $1200-$1500 less than the 2360. That difference would almost pay for your deck or your FEL, (an awesome, practical tool). That is just something to think about. Any of the BX machines are dramatically powerful and wonderful.

But.... you gotta actually go sit on them, drive them around the dealer's lot, etc. We can talk all day, but in the end, you have to touch them and put yourself into the seat of one to see what we're raving about. This chatting is nice, as is reading specs until you're bleary eyed, but nothing beats driving them.

/ 4wd Kubota tractor choices ???? #9  
I cut my lawn with a lx188 several times - not bad at all but i liked my honda rider better for sound and quality of cut - but the jd handled well.

I like everything about the LX188 but the hst. On my 2nd transmission, and 3rd one is not too far away. One of the reasons I would lean towards the BX vs. the GR. I would not be concerned between the 18hp vs. the 21hp. Philip.

bp fick said:
But.... you gotta actually go sit on them, drive them around the dealer's lot, etc. We can talk all day, but in the end, you have to touch them and put yourself into the seat of one to see what we're raving about. This chatting is nice, as is reading specs until you're bleary eyed, but nothing beats driving them.

Greetings,
I already sat on them a year. As for driving them in the dealer lot - it only applies if i was cutting flat land with fescues and st. Augustine grasses. I have none of those things. Also show room condition is much different than opinions from 5 year users.

My natural tendency would be a bx25, but I'd probably only use a back hoe 3 or 4 times a year AND cost AND 400 more pounds mowing weight.

I've found users say things brochures and salesmen don't, too. : -)

So I've eliminated cub cadet and several others. I'm down to 3 total choices GR2120 (not a 2110), or a BX1860 or BX2360.