50 hour fluid and filter change cost?

/ 50 hour fluid and filter change cost? #1  

Rich_Z

Silver Member
Tractor
TYM T474HC
Curious as to what the typical charge for having a dealer do the 50 hour maintenance on a T474HC would likely be?

I have watched videos of this service, and it doesn't seem too tough, but some did comment on some difficulties with some drain plugs and the hydraulic fluid filter because of excessive tightness from the factory and those items being held in place because of painting over the joints.

/ 50 hour fluid and filter change cost? #2  
I would guess, $250 - $300 in parts/fluid etc. and a couple hours of labor. $400 - $550 total range, just guessing for a tractor that size. I've only done the hydro on one small tractor and it was pretty easy. if you do it yourself you could probably save at least a couple hundo.

/ 50 hour fluid and filter change cost? #3  
I did my own and, trust me, if I can do the work you can do the work.

The filters were a tad tight but mine were reasonably accessible and a filter wrench did the trick.

Plus, I found it helpful locating the filters, drain plugs, air filter and filling the tractor back up with fluids. For future needs.

The first time, I allotted lots of time and went rather slow.

The hydro fluid was the most expensive component of the job. My tractor took a little under 9 gallons.

The owners manual was just fine as far as instructions/illustrations. I didn’t need the shop manual.

Finally, no need to transport the tractor to/from the dealer which (at least for me) is a big deal.

Good luck either way you decide.

Last edited:
   / 50 hour fluid and filter change cost? #4  
Easy job.
You’ll learn more about your tractor by doing it yourself.

/ 50 hour fluid and filter change cost? #5  
I've always done my own - for 42+ years now. I go slow - it's easy - saves a lot of money for me. Just be sure you have the correct oils/greases/fluids - filters - drain pans. Read and UNDERSTAND your owners manual.

Your first time - ?? Have a utility knife handy. Use it to cut the paint loose around the base of the old filters. There is a VERY GOOD chance - they will be attached to the tractor very tight. Also - get a GOOD filter strap wrench. Take care to have a good wrench to loosen those drain plugs. A cheap wrench might round off the plug - that leads to NO fun. I've always used a socket and socket wrench.

Have at it - it's a good learning experience. After you are all done - come back and tell us how it went.

/ 50 hour fluid and filter change cost? #6  
I paid about $600 for the 50 hour service. I usually do my own work but this was my first time owning a TYM tractor and I wanted to make sure that I knew everything about it. I also wanted to make sure I didn't do anything to screw up the warranty. I had service perform it in my garage/shop. He explained everything and I recorded it. I'm coming up on 300 hours and I feel very comfortable doing that service.

/ 50 hour fluid and filter change cost? #7  
A short story. So....I'm prepared to do the 50 hour service on my Kubota M6040. I see the tranny holds sixty quarts - 15 gallons. I have four - 5 gallon buckets to hold the old oil.

I loosen the plug and then two things hit me. The oil is DAMN hot and how am I going to slide buckets out and under the tractor without making a real mess.

Screw the drain plug back in. Time to do some serious thinking. AH - ha - - one of the wife's Tupper Ware quilt tub will hold 20 gallons. I could have made a major error - I bought the wife a new tub.

BTW - I still use that quilt tub for all oil changes.

/ 50 hour fluid and filter change cost? #8  
And remember - unless the oil is REALLY hot a heavy duty trashbag (3 mil or greater) in a STURDY container (laundry basket, 3 ply cardboard, whatever) will probably hold the oil until it cools and you can transfer it elsewhere.

/ 50 hour fluid and filter change cost? #9  
A short story. So....I'm prepared to do the 50 hour service on my Kubota M6040. I see the tranny holds sixty quarts - 15 gallons. I have four - 5 gallon buckets to hold the old oil.

I loosen the plug and then two things hit me. The oil is DAMN hot and how am I going to slide buckets out and under the tractor without making a real mess.

Screw the drain plug back in. Time to do some serious thinking. AH - ha - - one of the wife's Tupper Ware quilt tub will hold 20 gallons. I could have made a major error - I bought the wife a new tub.

BTW - I still use that quilt tub for all oil changes.

Ha! I once - and only once - used my wife’s measuring container to measure 2 stroke oil/gas for an old Yamaha 2 stroke motorcycle.

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Last edited:
   / 50 hour fluid and filter change cost?
This should do the job of holding the drained hydraulic fluid until I can transfer it into the used 5 gallon containers.