50 Hour & upgrades

/ 50 Hour & upgrades #11  
Agreed/I run 15w40 in my tractor. Just wanted to pass along there actually is a 10w30 Diesel oil out there for those who actually need it & didn't have the time to search out a source. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ 50 Hour & upgrades
The tractor was giving me fits because like yours when it got colder, 35 or so, turning the key would give me a nice solid "click" but no starter. If I jumped the battery and start terminal on the solenoid it would spin and then work fine until the next day. I finished all my 50 hour PM on the tractor then decided to check the solenoid out. I am glad I did. I removed the starter and then the solenoid. The solenoid is basically the same as any Chevy solenoid with one exception. The solenoid coil wires (internal) are not soldered internally to the terminals. They pass through the dielectric cover and are soldered to a small metal tab held in place under the terminal studs. I desoldered the tabs and the cap then came off by removing the 2 small screws that attach it to the coil section. The internal parts are actually quite robust, however water was able to penetrate into the cover and the main contacts were very corroded. The external connections were also very corroded. The wire terminations were not too bad, but all the attaching hardware was either rusted or completly black. I cleaned and polished all the internal copper contacts, replaced all the external hardware, polished the wire terminations and reassembled everything, sealing every opening and gasket with silicone sealant. After getting it all back together it now spins up as soon as the key is turned. I still think the wire is a bit shy on the wire guage but it does work now. The internal coil wiring is solid, about a 12 guage. The wiring to the start terminal can't be more than 20 guage. However, I am not going to rewire it unless I do have more trouble.

Right after I bought the tractor the original battery went bad and I replaced it with a 900 CCA Interstate marine battery so I have plenty of juice. The next morning it started to rain and snow, we got 8 inches of the heavy wet stuff through the day and evening. Sunday the temperture was down to 15 degrees and the stater ops checked great. With all the corrosion gone, the starter actually spun the engine over much faster. After about 4 cycles of the glow plugs and starter the tractor was running.

I also added as set of work lights beneath the top of the ROPS, controlled by the light switch. That really worked out nicely.

/ 50 Hour & upgrades #13  
JOHNS:

this is what i do for installing 3pt equipment now, I raise FEl and tilt the bucket down and put the cutting edge into the dirt, (whit the tractor pretty much "IN-PLACE") I then hook up the 3pt item, and use the tilt back/fort to move the tractor untill the pins are aligned, it is very easy to do this, much easier than prying around a heavy arse impliment! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif anyhow got ot fly, glood luck.

mark M /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif