50 HP Cab Considerations

/ 50 HP Cab Considerations #1  

Cougsfan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO35, Branson 4720CH
I am looking at buying a 50 HP tractor with FEL and cab. I would probably be happy with a Mahindra 3550, Branson 5220, Kiota NX5010, or LS XR4150C. I understand these are all good tractors.
One thing I do is a lot of spraying with a McCormick 3 point weed sprayer. The controls are on the front of the sprayer, and currently with my open cockpit 25 hp Yanmar (which is too small for this 200 gallon sprayer) I just reach back from the seat to turn each quadrant of the sprayer on and off. The controller location is adjustable somewhat.
My question is this: Do the back windows on all of these cabs open up so I could access the sprayer controls? If not, I will have to abandon the enclosed cab idea.

/ 50 HP Cab Considerations #2  
It does on the Kioti :thumbsup:

/ 50 HP Cab Considerations #3  
The back windows do open the 3550, ls and kioti, the LS would be my least favorite as the cab is very small. I have seen incredible pricing on the branson lately but I did not go and look at them. My original plan was to get a 3550 but I found a great deal on the NX. I have a small sprayer and I purchased a switch from the auto parts and ran it to the cab so I could turn it on and off from the cab.

/ 50 HP Cab Considerations #4  
I've been on the mahindra, kioti, and LS, along with a few others. Not sure why kromc5 said the cab was small as it seemed just fine to me. However the nx6010 is a slightly larger tractor than the 4100 series LS. As for windows they all open one thing I liked about the LS is that it had 2 shocks holding the window, the Kioti only has 1, don't remember on Mahindra. They all 3 only open up just enough to reach back and down out of them but you can't put your arm straight out as they don't open up enough. The Massey Ferguson 1700 series however opens up all the way along w/the side windows on it also opening up all the way, where as the others all just open up fractionally. So if you are wanting complete access out the back(or side) then the MF will be the way to go. It's a very nice tractor. A little more than the Kioti, LS, and Branson but I did like the 1749 I looked at. Also not sure if weight is something you are looking at but the Mahindra 3540 and 3550 cab have over 1000lbs more weight than the others mentioned, some of the Mahindras are also made by TYM so that might be another option to look at.

/ 50 HP Cab Considerations
Got quotes back for the Mahindra, LS and Branson already. Boy, the comparable Mahindra was exactly $10k higher! That is unfortunate because Mahindra is the only dealer that is local, and I would have prefered to spend my money in our community. But I can't see the Mahindra as anywhere close to being worth the 25% in extra cost. That is roughly $10/lb for that extra weight. Filling the tires with beet juice on the others to gain weight will be a lot cheaper. Still waiting on Kioti

/ 50 HP Cab Considerations #6  
The Mahindra 2555 55hp [TYM tractor with Mahindra engine] turbo is comparable to the other tractors you were looking at. The 35 series [Mahindra tractor with Mahindra engine] is a class bigger in heft, more of a ' utility ' tractor in both girth and tire size. The 35 series cab is nicer inside than the 25, but the 25 is not shabby....

Thanks Jerry. You are right. I was looking at the tractor the dealer told me was comparable. There are so many models it easy to get confused. I will call them back. It is kind of unfortunate, none of these dealers for any of the brands I am interested in have any of these models in stock, so other than spec sheets, I have to buy somewhat blind.

/ 50 HP Cab Considerations #8  
Thanks Jerry. You are right. I was looking at the tractor the dealer told me was comparable. There are so many models it easy to get confused. I will call them back. It is kind of unfortunate, none of these dealers for any of the brands I am interested in have any of these models in stock, so other than spec sheets, I have to buy somewhat blind.

Yup, the 5035 has 35" tall 14" wide front R4 tires, with 19.5L-24's on the back... HST is 5400 pounds minus the FEL and backhoe. It usually ... 'no needum chains' ... in the winter and rides over rather than pushes stuff out in the woods. Our local Mahindra dealer has the same stock problem. They had just about every model in the spring, but seldom have more that three or four cab'd tractors on the lot lately. He says they are selling them, but them must all be ordered directly from the assembly depot. Fly over here and I will let you look at my new 2555 HST cab, I have it all tore apart in the barn adding stuff/wiring getting it ready for winter.

The 2555 brings Mahindra down to $6K above the competition. If they wanted to compete price wise, they would have to drop down to a 38 hp unit. The dealer told me that the Mahindra is a much better quality unit than the Chinese and Indian made units of Kioti, LS and Branson (????) So much for buying local.

/ 50 HP Cab Considerations #10  
The 2555 brings Mahindra down to $6K above the competition. If they wanted to compete price wise, they would have to drop down to a 38 hp unit. The dealer told me that the Mahindra is a much better quality unit than the Chinese and Indian made units of Kioti, LS and Branson (????) So much for buying local.

That's what they learn in dealer school.... :)