540E

/ 540E #1  

denjen

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 3515ch
Do you use the 540E? I am thinking of using it for mowing my pasture (very clean and not over 18" high) and was wondering if running 540E at ~1900 rpm would get engine hot enough for the tier4? I have a 6' flail mower.

/ 540E #2  
I use the 540E on my tractor much more then the straight 540,
generator 540E,
brush hog 90% 540E, 10% 540,
tedder 540E,
blower 540E,
sickle bar 540E.

/ 540E
Thanks! If your tractor is tier4 have you seen any issues?

/ 540E #4  
Like Lou, I use 540E pretty much all the time on the tiller and brush mower. Even on high brush it handles it easily.

I don't have Emissions on my tractor though. I don't know if it can be a problem or not, but I doubt it is. It will be under load and the exhaust temps will still increase which makes the DPF happy.

/ 540E #5  
   / 540E #6  
My 3725's tach "green zone" is 2000-2500 rpm. That's where the manual says you're supposed to run it to keep the DOC+DPF happy. So I don't use 540E. For my pto tasks I wouldn't use it anyhow. The chipper needs all the power it can get. 95% of my mowing is on hills where I need full power to drive uphill while running the mower.

Some of my mowing is on steep hills, like along my driveway. Yesterday I used the grapple to carry a heavy log up the driveway to my house. The log was heavy enough that the loader would not curl it up all the way. I had to put the tractor in low range. And I have smaller than normal tires for this model hence slightly lower gearing.

One drawback of running at 1900 rpm is that you don't get "torque rise". That's where torque increases as rpm decreases from normal operating rpm, as long as rpm does not get too low. Most tractor engines including ours are set up that way. For example here's power curves for the A1700:

iso8178-curve01.jpg

Note the torque peaks at about 1800 rpm, but HP is highest at peak rpm. (The bottom SFC chart is specific fuel consumption or fuel used per HP. Running in 540E would result in lower fuel use).

/ 540E #7  
But the 540E does work at the engine peak torque, give or take a couple RPMs. The charts from Cummins vs Kukje for the A1700, doesn't quite match exactly, which is fine.

On the fuel consumption, the difference is quite substantial.

Last week I decided to do the first pass of tilling in 540. I could almost see the fuel gauge dropping but on the other hand, the engine got much quieter and smoother. I've never really revved up much higher than 2000 RPMs, other than the occasional road trip to get hay for the goats. It was a nice break in process.

The second pass at 540E, the fuel gauge will take a lot more time to drop.

EDIT: But the absolutely best thing of the 540E, is that you'll then have a Neutral position in between 540 and 540E, which lets you rotate the PTO shaft freely to align the spline when hooking PTO implements. This is an huge advantage versus single PTO speed tractors with electric over hydraulic engagement and it's often an overlooked feature.

/ 540E #8  
Den,

What kind of climate are you operating in? Is it hot or warm weather at your location, or is it cold?

My issues were all cold weather related ones. I never had problems in the summer time, and I would run my brush cutter in 540E then.

Now, since "The Surgery", I run my engine at low rpms, or idle it, or run 540E anytime I wish. It does help with fuel consumption, and yes, you will notice the difference in fill ups.

/ 540E
I am in GA, basically hot as ****** most of the time. I have thought about doing the 'surgery' but get conflicting responses from dealer if that voids the warranty. I also wonder about long term longevity of the engine always running at 2600rpm, eric thanks for the link will take a look.