58 MPG by 2032

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #321  
That won't work in Texas. We have temps in the 90s at midnight during summer. There is no solar being produced at that time. ERCOT keep telling us to limit power usage. What will happen with a million EVs charging overnight? I do realize some solar farms now charge batteries to pull power from during times where we don't get enough sunlight. I'm not turning off my a/c for people to charge EVs.
Here's what ERCOT has to say: At 5AM, the load in TX is about 2/3 of the load at 5PM. That 33% headroom will charge a lot of cars in off-peak hours right now with no change in capacity. Even though it's still hot when the sun goes down, as soon as the sun isn't beating down on your house, the AC doesn't have to work nearly as hard. In addition, fewer people are working at night. At the utility I worked for in Indiana the load was 1/2 at night, so TX is different but not that different.

Source: Actual Loads of Forecast Zones Display

For folks who prefer charts over tables, here's a chart that shows the available capacity throughout the day: Capacity Available to SCED: Current Day

ERCOT is planning already, and by 2029, they expect a 1.36% increase in load due to EVs. I'm guessing that with 5 years to work on it, a 1.36% increase in load won't bring the grid to its knees. After all, you are Texans. I've heard that you know how to build stuff.

To look at it another way, they expect that "ERCOT’s electric load will grow at a rate of 2.1%/year without EV load, and 2.3%/year with EV load."

Next time someone tells you that the grid can't handle EVs, remember this study from the State where the economy is driven by fossil fuels. The increase in load that is already being handled routinely each year with nobody claiming it's a problem is ten times as large as the increase expected from EVs. That 1/10 is significant, but not a reason to claim Armagridden will result from EVs.

Source: https://www.ercot.com/files/docs/2023/08/28/ERCOT-EV-Adoption-Final-Report.pdf (Take a look at page 63.)

Last edited:
   / 58 MPG by 2032 #322  
Let’s start with *****’s campaign vehicle. A 747 followed by two F16s and KC 135 tanker. That’s what I call saving fuel! Cruise ships are guzzlers, not even necessary. Importing people wastes fuel too. The whole thing is an irresponsible folly. Agendas cannot override physics and electrical engineering principles.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #323  
I think E-fuels are not being followed enough. Yes, production is very small now, but with scalability, I can see Carbon Neutral.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #324  
I think E-fuels are not being followed enough. Yes, production is very small now, but with scalability, I can see Carbon Neutral.
Horribly energy inefficient. Worse even than hydrogen.

Far better off building batteries to charge.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #325  
We originally had central a/c it needed a 60 amp breaker
They installed it in the ceiling drain line plugged up and
destroyed the ceiling so removed it and installed two window
a/c units one is 8400 btu and the other is 6400 btu and they
are rated at 12.8 amps total. Needless to day our electric bill
dropped from a little under $400 to low $50's but I also installed
some solar to run the a/c units. Been saving up hopefully will
be total solar before end of next year. For batteries can't see
paying $1300+ for a 100 ah battery should be some good new
batteries with more ah for a lot less money.
Also we are total electric.

willy

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #326  
We originally had central a/c it needed a 60 amp breaker
They installed it in the ceiling drain line plugged up and
destroyed the ceiling so removed it and installed two window
a/c units one is 8400 btu and the other is 6400 btu and they
are rated at 12.8 amps total. Needless to day our electric bill
dropped from a little under $400 to low $50's but I also installed
some solar to run the a/c units. Been saving up hopefully will
be total solar before end of next year. For batteries can't see

willy
Whoa there, Williy. I think you're comparing apples to oranges, here. It would be exceedingly unusual to find any window A/C unit with anywhere near the net efficiency of central A/C. So, in comparing these bills, I suspect you are not cooling the place quite the same. If you are really keeping the entire house at the same temperature with two window units, that you did with central A/C, then I'd venture to say your central system was exceptionally poorly-configured. Window units are usually much more expensive to operate, per BTU, than any central system.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #327  
ERCOT is planning already, and by 2029, they expect a 1.36% increase in load due to EVs. I'm guessing that with 5 years to work on it, a 1.36% increase in load won't bring the grid to its knees. After all, you are Texans. I've heard that you know how to build stuff.

To look at it another way, they expect that "ERCOT’s electric load will grow at a rate of 2.1%/year without EV load, and 2.3%/year with EV load."

Next time someone tells you that the grid can't handle EVs, remember this study from the State where the economy is driven by fossil fuels. The increase in load that is already being handled routinely each year with nobody claiming it's a problem is ten times as large as the increase expected from EVs. That 1/10 is significant, but not a reason to claim Armagridden will result from EVs.

Source: https://www.ercot.com/files/docs/2023/08/28/ERCOT-EV-Adoption-Final-Report.pdf (Take a look at page 63.)

Wow, pretty interesting. I wonder if PGE has a study to the contrary?

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #329  
For batteries can't see
You are shopping the wrong parameter. Buy itself amp-hours is as meaningless as voltage. Shop for Watt-hours. Voltage times amp-hours equals Watt-hours. Divide by 1000 for kiloWatt-hours, kWh.

If 100ah at 12V the it would be half the power of a 24V 100ah battery.

This is why your electric bill charges for kWh, not amp-hours or voltage.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #330  
You are shopping the wrong parameter. Buy itself amp-hours is as meaningless as voltage. Shop for Watt-hours. Voltage times amp-hours equals Watt-hours. Divide by 1000 for kiloWatt-hours, kWh.

If 100ah at 12V the it would be half the power of a 24V 100ah battery.

This is why your electric bill charges for kWh, not amp-hours or voltage.
Watts are a product of amps and volts.