5inch minus spreadability?

/ 5inch minus spreadability?
thanks for all the input! you've convinced me and i'm going to skip the 5 minus. i believe they have a 3 minus (if memory serves) so i may go with that for the bulk of the lift (~8 inches). then i'll put 4+ inches of 3/4 minus on top. or if the price isn't too different i'll just to 3/4 for the whole thing...

/ 5inch minus spreadability? #22  
Maybe thats the way they do things in your area? I dont know....

But it seems to me that a 12" drive with that much fines and limited larger rock would tend to seem soggy in the wet season and pretty easy to rut up.
Dont you have washed/screened and uniform size stone in vermont? Build the 6-8" base out of the ~3" stone.....then lock it all together with the 3/4" minus

/ 5inch minus spreadability? #23  
Looks like those knowledgeable on the subject are all here!

I have a question: How to fill the occasional pothole on the 100 year old, quarter mile easement that five of us share? Neighbor who brought in a pickup load of gravel every spring to fill potholes, moved away. Another neighbor had a road crew repair the lane - vibratory roller etc, - after his construction traffic tore it up. But the potholes reappeared in the following winter.

A couple of years after that I graded it nice and smooth, and filled the potholes with gravel I had graded to level the surface. I thought I had compacted the holes sufficiently by driving the tractor over them. Nope. When the rains came it seems that traffic pumped the gravel/dirt mix out, and the same potholes reappeared. What can I fill them with, that will bind and stay put?

/ 5inch minus spreadability? #24  
I like to use 2-4" a little better for deeper base. I have used 0-6", but some it that is the biggest 6"s if have seen. The 1 or 2" here seems to move some under loads. Always seems too clean to stay put. T then try to finish with 1" base +fines.

/ 5inch minus spreadability? #25  
That description leaves me a tad confused.
BUT have you ever heard of this stuff?
Pacific Enzymes seems to be out of business. 'Temporarily closed' and their website is now available to buy.

Looks like this firm near Las Vegas is the new supplier.

Last edited:
   / 5inch minus spreadability? #26  
Looks like those knowledgeable on the subject are all here!

I have a question: How to fill the occasional pothole on the 100 year old, quarter mile easement that five of us share? Neighbor who brought in a pickup load of gravel every spring to fill potholes, moved away. Another neighbor had a road crew repair the lane - vibratory roller etc, - after his construction traffic tore it up. But the potholes reappeared in the following winter.

A couple of years after that I graded it nice and smooth, and filled the potholes with gravel I had graded to level the surface. I thought I had compacted the holes sufficiently by driving the tractor over them. Nope. When the rains came it seems that traffic pumped the gravel/dirt mix out, and the same potholes reappeared. What can I fill them with, that will bind and stay put?

With a good base and normal potholes, you have to break up the edges of the holes prior to filling them in.

From your description, it sounds like you have a good candidate to strip back your material and lay some fabric, as your stone is continually mixing with the subsoil. The road fabric will keep that from happening.

/ 5inch minus spreadability? #27  
Sounds like the road isn’t getting worked deep enough to eliminate the potholes. If you watch road graders they usually cut it as deep as the potholes. Even worse if you don’t have a ton of fines. The potholes just act as a bowl to hold the loose stone until it rains and the hydraulics of it pukes the stones out. When I repair bad drives I cut it as deep as the holes to blend it all back up again.