5x8' trailer question

/ 5x8' trailer question #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
Recently picked up a little home built 5'x8' trailer. 2000lbs axle, 5 bolt 4.80x12" wheels.
Overall it tows very well but the tongue is just too short (3') It is 2.5x2.5" sq. tube but does not appear real heavy (not シ more like 1/8th).
Anyway, I was thinking I wanted to redo the trailers tongue to make it a bit longer. I have some 2"x2" シ wall tube steel and was thinking it would be heavy enough for a small trailer but wanted everyones opinion. I am thinking tongue weight would never exceed 500lbs (I know that is way high but just trying to estimate on the high side)

/ 5x8' trailer question #2  
How much are you planning on extending it. Do you plan an adding bracing like a typical trailer tongue or just the single piece of tubing?

/ 5x8' trailer question
I want it to be about 42-48" so not a whole lot. I was thinking about just using a straight piece but could easily add some bracing. I won't be pulling anything real heavy with it as I have other heavy trailers. Mainly want this for around the house and maybe if I have to run a mower to town or take my BCS somewhere.

/ 5x8' trailer question #4  
Your 2x2 1/4" tube will work fine. The 1/4" thickness is probably thicker than the trailer tube.
I added 3' to the tongue of a 5x8 trailer I had. I cut off the tongue in the middle, drilled holes in the remaining trailer tubing and tongue, inserted a smaller size tubing in each end as a sleeve, plug welded the sleeves in place then added my 3' section and plug welded. Then welded completely around both sections where joined. Then welded some 1" angle top and bottom over those joints. The angle was probably overkill but never had any problems with it. I used mine to haul around a JD HST garden tractor / mower around 800 lbs.
The extra tongue length sure made backing up easier.

/ 5x8' trailer question
Right now it is just a bit too short with a ¾ ton truck. Figure the longer tongue will be easy to backup as well as allowing me to jack knife it into spots when towed with the side by side around the house.