5xxxE tractors

/ 5xxxE tractors #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
Am I correct in that all the 5xxxE tractors are the same except with different engines/HP? In other words same frame? If so is the 5055E underpowered and the 5100E too light to make use of all that power? Wondering if there is a particular model that best makes use of the frame size? If I am looking for 100HP am I better off stepping up to 6 series?

Years ago I bought a tractor that was the highest HP in a family that had about five models sharing the same frame. It had plenty of power but the frame was too small to really make use of it.

/ 5xxxE tractors #2  
Your concern is justified. You are getting ready to spend small fortune and you only get one chance to "get it right". Over the years all the manufacturers have at one time or another been on both sides of the "horsepower/weight ratio".

How do you intend to use the tractor? Do you intend to do very much "ground engaging" work? That is when the weight will be most recognizable, as it is required to make the best use of all that power. Heavy loader work would be another application where weight is critical. And no matter what anybody tells you, wheel ballast is not always the answer.

Keep in mind that the "E" stands for economy. Rather than jump to the 6E series you may want to check the other 5000 entries, the M and R. Above all else take your time, shop around and of course, don't buy from any dealer with a poor reputation for service. After all, new tractors and "shade-tree mechanics" don't play well together.

Big weight differences. Big dollar differences. Big decision.

Deere (as well as other manufacturers) sometimes has lease return units, though I understand these are increasingly hard to come by. Typically these have balance of factory warranty with only a few hundred hours on the meter. Some may be eligible for low rate financing or cash rebates. Usage is generally light, with some machines used simply for drawbar work.

CaseIH has a good comparison tool, so I borrowed it and exported some info to highlight a few differences between the 100HP(gross)-class 5000 series entries, deleting specs that were largely identical between the Deere models.
Years ago I bought a tractor that was the highest HP in a family that had about five models sharing the same frame. It had plenty of power but the frame was too small to really make use of it.

/ 5xxxE tractors #3  
If tillage is your primary application, tractor weight should be your prime consideration.

Deere 4400 is around 4,000 pounds, bare tractor weight. You need a tractor weighing minimum 50% more before you will notice a significant capability increase.

Deere 5055 is over 5,000 pounds bare tractor weight. If tillage is your primary application I recommend an 8,000 pound Utility Class tractor.

If PTO-powered implement applications are your primary tractor use, buy enough horsepower for the most power hungry PTO application you foresee.

In Florida quite a few commercial farms lease heavy Deere tractors, which return to the dealer for sale when the lease expires.

Last edited:
   / 5xxxE tractors #4  
Model 5055E/5075E utilizes a 3 cyl engine & 5100E utilizes a 4 cyl engine. My guess is trans/final drives are larger with larger engines.

/ 5xxxE tractors #5  
The 5085E and the 5100E tractors are roughly 1500lb heavier than the 5075E and smaller tractors in the MFWD machines.
So are you considering 1500lbs to be negligible? That is more than a 25% increase in base tractor weight with a 33% increase in horse power.

/ 5xxxE tractors
It’s not negligible but to me 8,000 lbs is really light for a 100 hp tractor. Unless you just need the PTO HP it seems like overkill. I don’t think one could get that much power to the ground with such a light weight

/ 5xxxE tractors #7  
I'm not disagreeing with you. A 100HP tractor easily needs to be 10-12K lbs to get that power to the ground.

You can easily add several 1000lbs between fluid and cast iron.

/ 5xxxE tractors
Agreed. Can definitely add weights and fluid. Sure would like some of that weight to already be there though in the form of a heavier frame and components.

/ 5xxxE tractors #9  
Well, the 5100M is about 800lbs heavier. I guess that is all JD thinks is required for some-most work that this size tractor performs?:unsure:

I know that I had to add around 3000lbs of ballast to get the maximum performance from my 75HP tractor.
I went from 7300lb bare tractor weight to about 10,500lbs.

Attachments

• P2090026.JPG
    P2090026.JPG
    390.8 KB · Views: 155
  • P2090025.JPG
    P2090025.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 150
   / 5xxxE tractors #10  
I have a 5093E that I pull a 9' offset harrow with but it takes the rear tires filled with fluid and the use of 4x4 to get it done, mine also has a loader that I leave on for extra weight, when you get into pulling disc like mine with 24" pans weight is definitely your friend, mine is pre-def fluid a 2011 so I am thankful and will make due with it, plus it's paid off.:)