6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #61  
The gas Ram HD now has the ZF 8HP70 8 speed auto, won't be long before the Cummins has at least two more speeds.
I haven’t found the need for additional transmission speeds. I wonder if it’ll be 8 speed for the 2500/3500 and 6 speeds for the 4500/5500?
That seems to be the status quo so far.

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #62  
8 speeds seems to be the practical limit in my opinion. 6 is fine also. My understanding is the speeds only use 8 gears on the up shifts normally. They skip two of the gears.

A consideration if you live where rust is an issue the newer Fords are aluminum body.

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #64  
If you are talking gasser GM, forget the 6.0. It is a gutless fuel hog, get a 6.6 gasser.

Awfully hard to find, in a used truck, right now. Like the Ford 7.3L, the GM 6.6L gas engine hasn’t been out long enough to get very many on the road. With current used vehicle situation, there will not be many to choose from. Of course, if he finds one…..

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #65  
When your favorite hammer is cummins, every debate looks like a ford.

-Haydude

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi
Awfully hard to find, in a used truck, right now. Like the Ford 7.3L, the GM 6.6L gas engine hasn’t been out long enough to get very many on the road. With current used vehicle situation, there will not be many to choose from. Of course, if he finds one…..

This was taken into consideration. It may be a year before I buy one. I move slow on this type of thing, like to get all my information and research before buying. The prices right now are absolutely ridiculous.

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #67  
Well your first thread made 87 posts without anyone bashing the old Chevy 6.0 and this one made it into the 60's before it happened, those gutless dogs are getting the job done all over the country everyday and yes as stated in the earlier thread multiple times, they are thirsty 13 or 14 regular driving and around 8 or 10 when towing heavy, but I can tell you where they won't be found in numbers and that's in the shop, the Chevy 6.0 is about as tried and true as they come for GM gasoline engines.

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #68  
Well your first thread made 87 posts without anyone bashing the old Chevy 6.0 and this one made it into the 60's before it happened, those gutless dogs are getting the job done all over the country everyday and yes as stated in the earlier thread multiple times, they are thirsty 13 or 14 regular driving and around 8 or 10 when towing heavy, but I can tell you where they won't be found in numbers and that's in the shop, the Chevy 6.0 is about as tried and true as they come for GM gasoline engines.
And just think, 20 years ago people had their doubts and thought GM was crazy for going to the 5.3 and 6.0 and going away from the tried and true 5.7.

When the 6.0 came out, it was a good pulling SOB. Funny how it's now just a gutless pos

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #69  
That is just it the venerable GM 6.0 has been around since 1999 or 2000 where the Ford 6.2 would be the next oldest introduced in 2011, the Ram 6.4 introduced in 2014, and the GM 6.6 gasser or ford 7.3 gasser are all introduced 2020 or newer so in theory the price points each could potentially be purchased at should be huge.

The 6.0 was the best base engine ever put in 3/4 ton truck. I like the Ram 6.4 but there was an upcharge for it until recently as the Hemi 5.7 remained the base engine in their 2500 for many years and so far neither of these have the long term reliability of the GM 6.0. I simply am not a fan of Ford's modular motors although the 6.2 is one of the better from the Ford terd modular family but it is still far from stellar. I am truly impressed with Ford's new 7.3 gasser as it is made how I like a motor and I think it could prove to be a long term winner just as the GM 6.0 has been. Less impressed with GM's new 6.6 gasser but time will tell the tale, and so far none of the others yet match the GM 6.0 legacy of reliability.

Gas mileage on any of them is not going to be good. Fuelly website pretty much shows the ole 6.0 is no worse than motors decades newer than it. Now some people seem to feel better if their lie o meter in the dash spits out a number 2 or 3 mpg higher than they are actually getting but fuelly website usually proves they are not really getting that lie o meter number they think they are getting either.

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi
That is just it the venerable GM 6.0 has been around since 1999 or 2000 where the Ford 6.2 would be the next oldest introduced in 2011, the Ram 6.4 introduced in 2014, and the GM 6.6 gasser or ford 7.3 gasser are all introduced 2020 or newer so in theory the price points each could potentially be purchased at should be huge.

The 6.0 was the best base engine ever put in 3/4 ton truck. I like the Ram 6.4 but there was an upcharge for it until recently as the Hemi 5.7 remained the base engine in their 2500 for many years and so far neither of these have the long term reliability of the GM 6.0. I simply am not a fan of Ford's modular motors although the 6.2 is one of the better from the Ford terd modular family but it is still far from stellar. I am truly impressed with Ford's new 7.3 gasser as it is made how I like a motor and I think it could prove to be a long term winner just as the GM 6.0 has been. Less impressed with GM's new 6.6 gasser but time will tell the tale, and so far none of the others yet match the GM 6.0 legacy of reliability.

Gas mileage on any of them is not going to be good. Fuelly website pretty much shows the ole 6.0 is no worse than motors decades newer than it. Now some people seem to feel better if their lie o meter in the dash spits out a number 2 or 3 mpg higher than they are actually getting but fuelly website usually proves they are not really getting that lie o meter number they think they are getting either.

Reliability and longevity are my main reasons for looking for the 6.0. It has plenty of power for our needs. We will tow a maximum of 8-10k lbs. We prefer to do it with something a little heavier duty than a 1/2 ton.