6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #41  
Was not a big fan of the ford with 6.2 my 2012 was a turd for pulling power compared to my 2016 ram with the 6.4 hemi.Both had 3.73 gears.

Attachments

• Ford Truck 349.jpg
    Ford Truck 349.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 241

Attachments

• IMG_0691.jpg
    IMG_0691.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 365

Those are both good looking trucks. Every person I’ve read/heard say the Ford 6.2L was weak had the 3.73 gears or was expecting it to be at modern diesel performance. The Ram 6.4L is no slouch. I’ve been in a couple, but they were far extremes; a 2018 Ram 2500 (unknown rear axle) and a 2019 Ram 5500 (4.88 rear ratio really does a lot). I figured the 2500 would feel like a rocket ship, compared to my heavy as Hell F-350, but it wasn’t much different (using the butt dyno). My only gripe about the Ram 6.4L is the damned MDS. As of now, Range Technologies dies have a workaround. If they did, I would recommend it.

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #42  
I run 93 octane in my Yukon and my Dodge challenger because I am NOT cheapskate but thanks for that great advice.;)

Just to make sure we are in the same page….I was not suggesting YOU were, but many people read these forums and many ARE the type to buy an expensive piece of equipment and cheap out on everything after the purchase.

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #43  
Those are both good looking trucks. Every person I’ve read/heard say the Ford 6.2L was weak had the 3.73 gears or was expecting it to be at modern diesel performance. The Ram 6.4L is no slouch. I’ve been in a couple, but they were far extremes; a 2018 Ram 2500 (unknown rear axle) and a 2019 Ram 5500 (4.88 rear ratio really does a lot). I figured the 2500 would feel like a rocket ship, compared to my heavy as Hell F-350, but it wasn’t much different (using the butt dyno). My only gripe about the Ram 6.4L is the damned MDS. As of now, Range Technologies dies have a workaround. If they did, I would recommend it.
From my understanding there is some way to turn off the MDS in the Ram 6.4 hemi.I never took the time to figure it out.

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #44  
Just to make sure we are in the same page….I was not suggesting YOU were, but many people read these forums and many ARE the type to buy an expensive piece of equipment and cheap out on everything after the purchase.
I hear ya these trucks/cars new are to dang expensive to cheap out on oil/gas products.

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #46  
My 2015 Ram Laramie 6.4L coming up on 60K miles trouble free. Original brakes still 30%, 4:10, and rear air suspension. I just wish it was newer with the 8 speed ZF tranny. Mainly used for towing and not my daily driver after it's 1st year.

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #47  
Thanks for the info on the Ford 6.2, glad it takes after the V10, that is a solid engine.

I wonder if anyone has done an mpg comparison between the 6.2 and 7.3?

It takes after the 6.8L, in performance, but the 6.8L is a Triton. The 6.2L is not. Completely different builds.

From the forums, it seems the fuel mileage is comparable, between the two current Ford HD gas engines.
The 6.2L w/4.30 and a six speed is damn near the same, hauling specs and fuel mileage as the 7.3L w/3.73 and the ten speed. It seems the 7,3L owners are actually doing a bit better, when towing heavy, since the engine isn’t working as hard to do the same work.

As of now, the only new trucks to have the six speed are the F-250 with the 6.2L. The ten speed comes with all F-350’s and all 7.3L F-250’s.

It’s hard to make a case for a new 6.2L over a 7.3L engine. More power and the same/similar mileage is a Hell of a deal. The one case for a 6.2L F-250 is the proven TorqShift G six speed developed specifically for the 6.2L in the F-250, starting in MY 2017. Though not as robust as the regular TorqShift found in all the other six speed F-250/F-350’s, it still is more than capable and the gearing favors the F-250.

I plan to run my 6.2L several more years. After the 7.3L and ten speed get all the bugs worked out, I’ll likely move to that setup. Hopefully, Ford will bump the numbers a bit, on the 7.3L. There has to be a lot left on the table.

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #48  
I hear ya these trucks/cars new are to dang expensive to cheap out on oil/gas products.

My brother and his group of friends thought they could save some money using E85 in their non-“FlexFuel” engines. Why? Because it was cheaper. They made it a lot longer than I expected. Today, all of those vehicles are in a junk yard or parted out. Dumbasses.

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #49  
Yes gas only. No need for a diesel.
2016 F150 XLT 3.5L 6 cyl. EcoBoost. I don’t tow other than a dump trailer on occasion. However I know that when the pedal goes down in a need for speed, it takes off like a Jack rabbit.

/ 6.0vs6.6, 6.2vs7.3, 6.4 Hemi #50  
Sold it last winter with 50,000 care free miles.

My 2015 Ram Laramie 6.4L coming up on 60K miles trouble free. Original brakes still 30%, 4:10, and rear air suspension. I just wish it was newer with the 8 speed ZF tranny. Mainly used for towing and not my daily driver after it's 1st year.

All of the Ram MDS-related failures I personally know of happened between 90k-125k miles. These we’re all fleet-maintained and our maintenance shop is well supplied, well funded, and well educated.

Personally, I wouldn’t keep a Ram with MDS longer than 100k miles, unless it had MDS disabled right out the gate. Even then, it’s an unknown, since I have zero experience with that setup.

Still better than the GM cylinder deactivation. The previous Actuve Fuel Management cut the cylinders in half. These were known to develop oil consumption issues around 40k-70k miles. The easier the driver treated the vehicle, the worse it was. Due to this, I put the Range Technologies on my 2013 Silverado 5.3L at 3,500 miles, right when I bought it. I traded it at 41k miles and it never had any oil consumption issues.

The current GM Dynamic Fuel Management is capable of using a combination of any cylinders. This system will let the V8 run on one cylinder, if it thinks it can do it. The only good thing about this system versus the older AFM is the AFM always stopped the same cylinders. The DFM can alternate what cylinders it stops.

The shop bought a few new GM 5.3L half tons with DFM. The first engine to go was at a little over 40k. After that engine was replaced, they started having trouble with another truck. That truck had fewer miles, but also got a new engine. It has now been decided no more half tons will be purchased, at all. They will exclusively buy F-250/2500 series in place of half tons, to stay away from the stuff that breaks.