Tractor Sizing 6M vs 5M for Field Mowing

/ 6M vs 5M for Field Mowing #31  
The German built tractors are actual fully (almost I think) built in Germany and not sourcing parts from everywhere like the 5xxx's. So expect it to last longer than the 5xxx's too!

I already knew that. Engine from Mexico, Tranny from China, Hydraulics from Brazil, 2WD Front Axle from India, Cab from USA and assembled in Georgia. I didn't want them to buy a Deere, I tried to push them to another Kubota but the Deere was the better deal in this case.

/ 6M vs 5M for Field Mowing
I know I'm really beating a dead horse here... But is there any reason for me to get a 5115m vs a 6105r or 6115r?

The initial cost is a bit higher, but the creature comforts, capabilities, design, and performance seem quite a bit higher.

I think for mowing it will produce better stability and comfort, and of course power.. But also if I start row cropping it will offer more ground engagement capabilities.

Such a hard decision...

/ 6M vs 5M for Field Mowing #33  
If you can afford the 6R then go for it. For your tasks you will enjoy the larger tractor as it will be smoother in the field then the 5 series. And as you said, it keeps your options open for the future as the 6 series will do everything the 5 series can do but better and then some. The only down side would be if your trying to fit into a tight place but then again all tractors can have that problem. To me it is an easy decision. I know the size tractor I would buy, just need to spec it out to how I would want it. Have fun

/ 6M vs 5M for Field Mowing #34  
I know I'm really beating a dead horse here... But is there any reason for me to get a 5115m vs a 6105r or 6115r?

The initial cost is a bit higher, but the creature comforts, capabilities, design, and performance seem quite a bit higher.

I think for mowing it will produce better stability and comfort, and of course power.. But also if I start row cropping it will offer more ground engagement capabilities.

Such a hard decision...

If you need to move them often obviously the smaller stature tractor would be more convenient but in the field working I like the 6000 R series much better.

Yeah I think I could get away with putting the 5115m and mx8 on the gooseneck but the 6115r is way out of the question. Figure just drive it on the road. No more than 40 miles one way

/ 6M vs 5M for Field Mowing #36  
Yeah I think I could get away with putting the 5115m and mx8 on the gooseneck but the 6115r is way out of the question. Figure just drive it on the road. No more than 40 miles one way

A 6115R can easily slip onto a deckover trailer. Not sure about height / bridges though. You can get a 31MPH Option and it has front axle suspension that makes it ride like a car.

Problem is my goose neck is only rated for 14k and the trailer is 3k :/

/ 6M vs 5M for Field Mowing #38  
I use a 12k trailer to move my compact equipment, you would need a 22k to 26k trailer with enough length for the tractor and mower. I should ask how much traveling will you need to do? That could make a big difference in how to go about this.

Not sure. Initially I'm doing this with the expectation of making some money off site with the tractor by mowing fields in the fall months.. Until I'm able to utilize it fully on site.

/ 6M vs 5M for Field Mowing #40  
I would be cautious buying a tractor before I knew for sure what I was going to do with it. A mismatch in size can cost you a lot of money. Farming for profit takes more money and is a higher risk than I am willing to take. What I have found that seems to work is the smaller acreages jobs where I can come in and do the initial work to till, smooth and level then plant. The property owners I work for don't have all the equipment needed to do the work and find it cheaper to hire this out. The larger places seem to have the tractors and tools needed so generally don't need my services. This is a niche market and you need to be able to get the equipment moved without breaking the bank while having equipment large enough to have good productivity.

That said above, I suggest you try to nail down where the money is coming from as far as the outside work. Some of it might be profitable and some of it not so much This year I am setting up for laser leveling with automatic machine control, there is need for this in my locale on the small horse farms. The electronics for this can be moved to larger equipment if I need to move up in size at a nominal cost, will have to wait and see how successful all of this is.

FarmwithJunk is a member here who has been very vocal in the past about mowing for hire. Might wan't to read some of his posts on the subject using the search feature.