6x6 treated posts in ground

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #41  
Cemented in post: the post dries out leaving space for moisture to get in and be trapped, that makes the post rot faster.

Motor oil on post: my neighbor soaked his post in a 55 gallon drum with used motor oil in it for more than a week each... Then he build a building using those post, within 10 years they were rotted at ground level, he found that out when high winds pushed on the building breaking them off where they rotted. Motor oil is just another home remedy that doesn't work.

The reason hundred year old barns are still standing is, they were build with HUNDRED PLUS year old tree's, to make the lumber! Todays lumber is NO comparison to that old growth lumber and will never last as long!

Buy PT lumber that is treated to at least .60, .80 is even better, then you will have a chance of your building lasting a long long time...

SR

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #42  
The reason hundred year old barns are still standing is, they were build with HUNDRED PLUS year old tree's, to make the lumber! Todays lumber is NO comparison to that old growth lumber and will never last as long!

Maybe. But I'm of the opinion that the buildings that lasted 100 years or more had proper grading and protection to keep the posts dry. Also keep in mind that for every 100 year old barn, or building that is around, probably a thousand are gone. Not necessarily from rotten posts, but the ones that did rot away probably didn't maintain the roofs, or drainage on those buildings. The ones that survived did so because the building was taken care of.

The same applies to anything built today. If you take care of it, keep the posts dry, it will last 100 years easily.

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground
There is also the worry about the post sinking some over the years. I seen this happen. Then you have to jack it up level again

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #44  
I always put a post pad under the post, I've never had a post sink, with a pad under it. (when building a pole building)

SR

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #45  
I always put a post pad under the post, I've never had a post sink, with a pad under it. (when building a pole building)

SR

I've never used a pad, never had a post sink. Think it totally depends on soil type.

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #46  
4x4's and 6x6's usually have different pressure treating done to them. You want structural pressure treating .60 or above - 4x4 are not .60 unless you order them

Yes, you are correct. Ground contact is what it's called. Pressure treatment plant between here and town.

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #47  
Ever saw a 6x6 and see how far the treatment penetrates?
Make SURE you treat any cut ends. It’ll rot just like standard framing lumber if you don’t.

Always put a pad under a 6x6 if it’s load bearing. Heck even a big flat rock is better than nothing.

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #48  
Ever saw a 6x6 and see how far the treatment penetrates?
Make SURE you treat any cut ends. It’ll rot just like standard framing lumber if you don’t.

Always put a pad under a 6x6 if it’s load bearing. Heck even a big flat rock is better than nothing.
I never put the "cut end" of a treated post in the ground, cut end goes up.

SR

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #49  
We built a pole barn three years ago and another this year;Home Depot sells a 6x6"(plastic) post protector at about $33.00 ea.;that is what we used+a concrete pad under post.We are in Northern NY so get a deep frost.
Years ago I tried cementing in post and it was a big mistake.

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #50  
I never put the "cut end" of a treated post in the ground, cut end goes up.

SR
Always.
We also used to soak the ends (treated or untreated) to help keep the ends in the ground lasting longer.

Sometimes, the “up” ends of treated lumber I have cut don’t have as much treatment in them as we’d like to think. Sometimes I cut 1” off the ends or sides and the treatment wasn’t in any deeper.