6x6 treated posts in ground

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #51  
Had a section of fence that the treated wood posts would rot out in 4 to 5 years at ground level. Wrapped replacement posts with 20 mil tape from 4 to 5 inches above ground level to 16 inches below grade and the posts have no sign of rot after 13 years.

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #52  
Treated lumber rots after the copper oxides* which was added to them are leached out. The reason posts rot at ground level is the moisture cycling that occurs at this point is very high. That is the lumber is wet and drys the most here and that removes its protection over time. If you can reduce this cycling, your treated post will last very long.

* various chemicals are added to treated lumber. Copper oxide is the main one.

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #53  
You can get copper napthenate solutions (copper-tox, etc.) to paint on or soak timbers in. Depending on your application, it comes pre diluted at many box stores in water based and oil based forms.

All the best, Peter

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #54  
I have 5 pails of tar for the roof that I will be
sticking my posts in before sticking in the ground.
Also will have a rock bed at bottom really don't
worry about water as it seldom rains and the ground
is usually powder in one way that's good and another
way its not!

willy

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #55  
I have 5 pails of tar for the roof that I will be
sticking my posts in before sticking in the ground.
Also will have a rock bed at bottom really don't
worry about water as it seldom rains and the ground
is usually powder in one way that's good and another
way its not!

willy
That's exactly what I was planning on using to build my pole barn - I have 5x5x10' non-treated poles that I was planning on using and, planning on dipping each post in roofing tar 6-12 inches above ground level.

Will it work (as far as reducing rot) ? I am in deep east texas, near the Toledo Bend dam, a few miles from the Louisiana border.

I have heard that dipping them in used motor oil works but have also heard that it is just a home remedy that doesn't work.

btw: Why am I using untreated? Because I can get these 5x5x10' poles from a local for $5 each. He can get me any size I want, but he doesn't have a way of treating them.

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #56  
That's exactly what I was planning on using to build my pole barn - I have 5x5x10' non-treated poles that I was planning on using and, planning on dipping each post in roofing tar 6-12 inches above ground level.

Will it work (as far as reducing rot) ? I am in deep east texas, near the Toledo Bend dam, a few miles from the Louisiana border.

I have heard that dipping them in used motor oil works but have also heard that it is just a home remedy that doesn't work.

btw: Why am I using untreated? Because I can get these 5x5x10' poles from a local for $5 each. He can get me any size I want, but he doesn't have a way of treating them.
I have a Cleary Pole Barn 40'x60' built in 2014. They use 3 2"x6" treated completely and nailed together to make a 6"x6". With this there isn't any warping. Then for strength they cut the middle 2x6 for height leaving the outside two higher, set the truss on the middle one and bolt the truss and the outside ones together.

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #57  
If you can keep the posts dry, then they will last a long time. If they are soaked with every rain, they will rot quickly.

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #58  
If you can keep the posts dry, then they will last a long time. If they are soaked with every rain, they will rot quickly.
The grade slopes away from my PB on all 4 sides. I know of one PB where it's level with the ground, the concrete is cracked and the frost tearing the PB apart in some places.

/ 6x6 treated posts in ground #59  
Maybe. But I'm of the opinion that the buildings that lasted 100 years or more had proper grading and protection to keep the posts dry. Also keep in mind that for every 100 year old barn, or building that is around, probably a thousand are gone. Not necessarily from rotten posts, but the ones that did rot away probably didn't maintain the roofs, or drainage on those buildings. The ones that survived did so because the building was taken care of.

The same applies to anything built today. If you take care of it, keep the posts dry, it will last 100 years easily.

This is the key, for sure. Thats why every old standing barn here in Michigan (and in my viewing around most of the east coast states also) is ELEVATED, atop a stone foundation. The wood never sits in or atop wet ground.

Why are covered wooden bridges still standing after 150+ years in many spots around the eastern half of the country? Because the wood never gets wet. The beams sit on elevated stone foundations and the bridge roof/overhangs send the water elsewhere.

You can put your posts in concrete or not, but either way you'd better elevate your building pad, build with roof overhangs, and get all the water draining AWAY from your posts/foundation.

Last edited:
   / 6x6 treated posts in ground #60  
Looking for opinions on the CCA treated posts .06 treated in the ground. My first was already built and the posts were already there. Had no problem other than had to put flashing between the treated band board and metal trim because rain would run under the trim and get between band board and enter building. Another company I checked out was about $7000 more to ad peirs under the posts. Seem a little high. I see pole barns all over and none are falling down. It is just me and putting wood in the ground. The place I would be getting the building built told me that I would not see a problem in my life time but maybe my kids grand kids might but then the building might have other issues because of age but posts are very good and bought for the purpose of pole barns. Also I would be adding gutters for extra protection.
Make sure it is Ground Contact lumber. Treatment plant few miles from me. It's pretty big. He just sold it for 385 million. I know of several buildings with posts in ground and are well over 20 years old. I mean buildings 600 feet long. Everything still just fine