8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible?

/ 8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible? #31  
Then there's something drastically wrong with your 8N. As a kid I pulled that disc with Dad's 8N over many, many, many acres. Almost always on plowed ground.

Nothing wrong with it but the tires are not loaded.

SDT

/ 8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible? #32  
This thread is a good example of what happens when you try and mix city people who buy a tractor with people who grew up around them.

Always an excuse for limitations....rather than real world experience.

Agreed.

SDT

/ 8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible? #33  
Nothing wrong with it but the tires are not loaded.

SDT

That would explain a lot. Never had a tractor on the farm without loaded tires. Even my little JD in the pic has loaded rears.

/ 8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible? #34  
What I can tell you is that no matter what type of tire you run if you pull a 10 foot disc and a 7 point chisel plow when it hasn't dried out enough, you can bog down and bottom your tractor out.....twice in one day.

/ 8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible? #35  
What I can tell you is that no matter what type of tire you run if you pull a 10 foot disc and a 7 point chisel plow when it hasn't dried out enough, you can bog down and bottom your tractor out.....twice in one day.

I rarely learn the first time either...... :cool:

/ 8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible? #36  
My neighbor has a Brown - pull behind - disk harrow. It great because I can hook up the hydraulics from my top link - raise the unit up on its wheels and motor down the road to my place. It cuts a 9' swath and weighs around 1400#. I've used it a couple times. Just gotta wait until the ground is dry. The M6040 pulls it easily. If I have to go into 4WD - LOOK OUT. I may have hit a wet spot and need to get the heck out of that immediate area.

/ 8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible? #37  
I doubt seriously it will pull it with any authority. My 4060 grand L struggles pulling a 7 foot land plane up any kinda grade in M
I am curious to see how it acts with my 6 foot HD tuffline . I'm not optimistic.

40 or 50 horsepower in a hydro tractor is nothing even close to a gear drive.

No need for some people to act like his BIG 50 HORSE tractor is gonna walk off with a 8 foot disk.
In reality he's equal to about a 25 horse in pulling power.

/ 8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible? #38  
I doubt seriously it will pull it with any authority. My 4060 grand L struggles pulling a 7 foot land plane up any kinda grade in M
I am curious to see how it acts with my 6 foot HD tuffline . I'm not optimistic.

40 or 50 horsepower in a hydro tractor is nothing even close to a gear drive.

No need for some people to act like his BIG 50 HORSE tractor is gonna walk off with a 8 foot disk.
In reality he's equal to about a 25 horse in pulling power.

That's an interesting comment, one I'll take at face value. Then I looked up the Nebraska test for the old Cockshutt 30 of my youth that hauled an 8' IH model 37 transport disc all over 50+ acres of corn ground for years. 27 drawbar hp.

/ 8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible? #39  
Well take it for whatever value you want. As soon as it gets dry I'll hook my disk up and give it a try and post up some videos on YT so anybody that's interested can see for themselves.
From my experience it a big difference in hydro and gear drive when it comes to pulling power.

Will it pull it ? I'm sure it will . Will it pull it good enough to be worth while ? I doubt it.
I also doubt the tractor will hold up pulling a 8ft disk for very long.

/ 8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible? #40  
Hey you threw the number out there, I didn't. A 50 horse MFD tractor should be capable of putting 50% of that power on the ground through any transmission worth building. Remember to link us to your videos.