8N Leveling Box

/ 8N Leveling Box #1  

8N Ren

Gold Member
Tractor
8N Ford
I was going to rebuild the one i had which totally wore out but due to the cost of parts it was cheaper to just replace it with new.

The problem I'm having is that now the backside of the cranking handle rides on my axle trumpet.
I like to have an aggressive forward tilt on my rear blade so I can really scrape the snow. I have spent quite a bit of time trying different adjustments but the handle always seems to be a problem.

Anyone else have that happen with a new replacement leveling box?

If so how did you remedy the situation?

/ 8N Leveling Box #2  
heat and bend the handle. or clip it out of the way.

/ 8N Leveling Box
I'll have to take a pic when I get home.
It has a wire clip to hold the crank handle out of the way.
It's the opposite side that's affecting operation.

/ 8N Leveling Box #4  
waiting to see the pic

/ 8N Leveling Box
This is what I'm talking about. You can see how the back of the handle is rubbing on the axle trumpet.

Attachments

• 20140222_053540.jpg
    20140222_053540.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 768
   / 8N Leveling Box #6  
pretty common.. especially on the aftermarket types

/ 8N Leveling Box
I've posted this in 2 different forums, combined it's had around 300 views and no one has an idea about what to do to remedy the situation. I didn't think I'd be able to stump so many people. I'm going to try to take them apart and marry some of the old and some of the new to try and fix this problem.

/ 8N Leveling Box #8  
The pic does not show the upper attachment, but can you trim one side of the connection and put in a shim to off set it to clear? It does not look like it needs much.

/ 8N Leveling Box #9  
i doubt that will work since it is a double knuckle up top

/ 8N Leveling Box #10  
As SG indicated its very common even with the OEM leveling box - Notice the notch worn in the trumpet by the original leveling box.

Remove the handle assembly to see how much clearance you need - You may be able to reduce the height of the "Top Hat" looking washer and crank assembly.

Most likely the cast steel lift arms have drooped from carrying a heavy load (like a plow or bush hog) and driving across furrows or ruts with the lift in the travel position.