A kid gets terminated at work...

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #71  
I worked every day (outside of working for family) since 11th grade. I graduated from high school and started with a state agency within a week.

Retirement is great - if you have the time.

/ A kid gets terminated at work...
I worked every day (outside of working for family) since 11th grade. I graduated from high school and started with a state agency within a week.

Retirement is great - if you have the time.
Worked in a knitting mill starting in 9th grade. Walked about 2 miles to work. Would love to say I walked uphill both ways in snow over 5' tall, but don't remember that. Every year since that grade though, they pulled taxes for social security when they use to send out that statement.

I'll be like my dad, probably work until my 70's just so I have something to do.

Congrats!

I was never a "company" man. I did my work but don't ask me to be a company cheerleader. I work for the paycheck not the company.

I would have been better of learning a trade and then making bank with overtime.
I kind of feel sorry for you.

I don't think I could ever work 8-5.

But then I had the same experience working Xmas sales job at Sears as a teen.
I actually learned how to serve 2-3 clients at the same time while the permanent staff was not to be seen. I'd need a second order pad most shifts while the perms barely used a half.
For me it was Macy's in Bethlehem PA during Christmas.

Learned that retail is NOT what I wanted to get into, then learned later that the food industry isn't what I didn't want to make a career of as well LOL

Don't get me wrong, if my kid wants to work in food after high school because that's what he LOVES to do, knock themselves out.

You hit the nail on the head though IMO, give 110% and do it right. From there, you will grow IMO.

My biggest issue was I was never really book smart, but work smart.

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #76  
Also private companies don't want you to share your salary with other employees as it allows the company to underpay. ...

Too funny. I always thought they didn't want me discussing my pay with my coworkers because

A: it was an agreement between the company and me. Nobody else's business. If I didn't like what I was getting paid, I could quit.

B: I was getting paid more than people that didn't do as much work as I did but complained about the work load an awful lot. 🤣

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #77  
Too funny. I always thought they didn't want me discussing my pay with my coworkers because

A: it was an agreement between the company and me. Nobody else's business. If I didn't like what I was getting paid, I could quit.

B: I was getting paid more than people that didn't do as much work as I did but complained about the work load an awful lot.
I work for a private company, that does 99% of its work for a government agency. I work with the government guys way more then my company. The gov guys, its all open, what they make. On the private side, we make a bit more, but I don't tell anyone how much. Its less then some of them think. Im sure my company is billing me at 3x to 3.5x my salary.

I was put over 3 guys, that I technically supervise, but dont see and only talk to 4-5 times per year, unless there is something wrong. One of my guys actually makes a good $4/hr more then me per hour. Knowing what people make doesn't increase your happiness, it just frustrates you.

Edit: I used to work for a county, and make crap money, found out what the supervisor made (2 steps above me at the time) and it wasn't impressive. Convinced me that I didn't want to wait 15 years for him to die/retire to move up, and found greener grass else where.

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #79  
One thing that might increase the chances of moving up.

Learn when ”then” is appropriate and when “than“ is the appropriate word. Diction matters as you move up.
Dang, might never make junior dean of the English department. Well, crap.

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #80  
One thing that might increase the chances of moving up.

Learn when ”then” is appropriate and when “than“ is the appropriate word. Diction matters as you move up.
manners matter also.

i interviewed for my "career" job at dinner. i had 2 degrees, lots of industry experience, totally self educated etc etc etc.

Found out later he was an orphan and appreciated my hard knocks stories, which were all true.

Long after i got my job he told me there were 2 other candidates who were more qualified but he hired me because of the way i treated the waitress. I reminded him i'd had every chit job on the planet and could relate to service people. i'd also worked for tips.

I had no clue but later I learned to pay very close attention to how some people treat service people, revealing.