A little miffed

/ A little miffed #41  
The sad thing is that you still bought their product. JD pushed this impersonal mega-dealership model. They don't have some exclusive ability to make good equipment.

I'm glad you found an alternative that works for you. But until more of us say no to bad service and exorbitant prices, we will continue to get both.
When I went to purchase a tractor in 2014.

First two dealerships I went to acted like they could care less about my small compact tractor purchase.
2023: When shopping for a 40 to 50 HP tractor, these same two dealerships acted the same way. They simply are not getting my business.

"They don't have some exclusive ability to make good equipment."
"But until more of us say no to bad service and exorbitant prices, we will continue to get both."

Both good statements to remember!

/ A little miffed #42  
Also, the dealer purchased mower would not be delivered to you in a box. It would be thoroughly assembled, tested and ready to mow, unless you asked for it that way. And the mechanics there will be a lot more knowledgeable than the kids that assemble it at Lowes.

SERIOUSLY?

Do you work in sales or service at the local JD dealer?

/ A little miffed #43  
John Deere as with most manufacturers has chased most small independent dealers out of business. The standard answer was it cost too much to support them. They have encouraged these huge multi store dealers. My son works for one of those multi store dealers and tells me of how the big boss sets the policies and usually don't care if the customer get taken care of. Besides JD is the elephant in the pool, he thinks the pools is his and doesn't care you might want to swim too.

It used to be with independent dealers there were a few close enough you could go between them and dicker a lower price, but with the multi store dealers or big box stores it is take it or leave it.

The dealer I worked at was required by the manufacturers to uncrate, setup, and test the unit before it was picked up or delivered.

Most big box stores either refer you to a local dealer or they "collect" units in need of repair for a few weeks until they have enough to send to a dealer. The dealer may be busy before he can look at them, then until parts are ordered and come in, then the tractor is repaired can be weeks or even months. Yes I worked at a dealer (not JD) where we had a contract to repair big box store sold units.

If you want a dealer that offers you personal service and good service seek out a local independent dealer. They will be happy to serve you and give you personal advise on the best mower, tractor, and attachment for your needs. That said it may not be JD, or other "main line" consolidated dealer.

/ A little miffed #44  
Don’t think I’d buy the department store version of a Deere
The box store versions have different model numbers.

My concern over purchasing from Lowes or Home Depot is warranty service. I know an independent dealer of EGo was not happy when EGo started referring him for warranty work of product sold by Home Depot. Worse yet, he had to buy the part out of pocket then submit the warranty claim after the repair, and was often declined. And EGo didn't pay for postage. So what was he to do, call the Home Depot customer and say, "EGo declined to pay for your repair. You owe $100."

He is no longer an EGo vendor.

/ A little miffed #46  
Here it is again, and from another new member. This JD attitude has become a common refrain from newbies and old hands alike. Hardly a week goes by when someone doesn't post about how poor the service is at the John Deere tractor dealer. Common comments are, "arrogant" and "not interested".

So why is that? And why is is been so consistent for 15/20 years now? Is it some sort of marketing strategy? On other brands and dealers we hear some good and some bad....but nothing so consistent as the JD attitude. Like it or not, that attitude has become part of their trademark. Why did they do that?

rScotty

With All the Above what amazes me is John Deere recognized again as one of the top fifty Community minded companies and admiration.

Deere repeats as No. 1 most admired construction, farm machinery company

/ A little miffed #47  
Am guessing the O.P. has purchased his mower by now. But I'd suggest others look hard at the multitude of zero-turn mowers and independent dealers.

Bad Boy mowers appear to be of very high quality and good value. Not as cheap as box store mowers but built better.

Country Clipper is another excellent brand but perhaps the most expensive. My 42" Avenue has 18HP Kawasaki and Interstate battery, right off the showroom floor. And joystick steering (twin stick is same price option). But it was $4800.

One Country Clipper option I have not seen elsewhere is a hand rail. If you have ever mounted a ZTR with a handrail you would never want to do it again without.

/ A little miffed #49  
Yes, that is what I was trying to say. If it is a special box store version then it will have a different model number. That these have the same number indicates they are the same machine.

Ah, I was reading you bass ackwards, my apologies.

/ A little miffed #50  
Unless the lawn is a small in size, I can't see why anyone would buy a rider lawn mower from Low's/Home depot. They are the lowest quality mowers IMO..