A New FIRST,, For Me,, Operating Machinery And Gloves

/ A New FIRST,, For Me,, Operating Machinery And Gloves #1  

CADplans

Elite Member
Tractor
584 IH 4WD
I have never used gloves when operating machinery, until now,,
last week, I ran the backhoe for 3 hours, and got blisters on my hands,,,:thumbdown:

I never intended to order gloves that make me look like "Iron Man" or "Tron", but, that is what I ordered from Amazon.

71ktAnHMVCL._SL1200_.jpg

Not waterproof, but, they are ventilated,, I hope,,
there is a little leather on part of the palm,, but, they are not welding gloves.

The backs of the fingers and back of the palm area are armored with 1/4" of soft plastic material.

I am ready to go out and operate the backhoe for three hours tomorrow,, and see if I pass on the blisters!!

Ironclad INDI-RIG-6-XXL Industrial Impact Rigger Gloves, XX-Large - - Amazon.com

Do you have a favorite glove that functions well when operating equipment!!?? :confused:

/ A New FIRST,, For Me,, Operating Machinery And Gloves #2  
I have a heavy set of elk skin leather gloves - purchased from Aerostich. If I'm going to be swapping 3-point implements - I definitely wear them. They were my motorcycle riding gloves and they just got too oily/greasy from me continually "lubing" them. So they became my work gloves. I wear them going into and coming out of winter. During winter its either lined leather gloves or if I'm dumb enough to go out when its truly cold - down gloves.

Now that I'm old as dirt - my hands will occasionally hurt if I get them cold for too long. Coming back in the house - running hot water in the sink to soak the cold hands doesn't work so well any more. Best to just not get them too cold for too long in the first place.

/ A New FIRST,, For Me,, Operating Machinery And Gloves #3  
Gloves are great except when I'm using a chipper/shreader because I worry about the glove getting caught on something I'm feeding in!

/ A New FIRST,, For Me,, Operating Machinery And Gloves #4  
I wear the basic yellow leather glove any time I am operating equipment. Just like to keep my hands nice and soft ;)

/ A New FIRST,, For Me,, Operating Machinery And Gloves #5  
You know Fuddy - I've had a Wallenstein BX42S - now BX62S for many years. That's been my one and only concern with gloves. What a way to go. So with the 62S connected to nothing - I tried going "down the chute". Whether I like it or not - I'm just too big to fit anywhere near far enough down the chute for even my finger tips to get near the blades. I come up about 14" short of making contact.

So as long as I remain standing on the ground - "getting chipped" because of being drug down the chute is of no concern. Besides - all the trees I chip are small pines - I feed them whole - means the limbs are pointed the wrong way to catch on anything and drag.

My chipper does not have roller in-feed. Its pretty easy to pull a tree back out of the chipper if necessary.

CADplans - Wow - those are really sexy - you are definitely part of the moving/shaking generation with those gloves. Geeze - mine are just old oily, greasy, dirty black elks skin ones.

/ A New FIRST,, For Me,, Operating Machinery And Gloves #7  
Dad worked for electrical utilities all his life, so I grew up with an appreciation of good work gloves.

One of the last I picked up were these Terras from Costco.

Terra High Performance Mechanic Glove 2-pack

I use them for Winter work gloves too, so I like the Thinsulate - some may find hot for Summer, but if I'm working, I'm sweating, so I just deal with it.

One thing I look for in this class of glove is good palm padding/cushioning/gel - the backside armour is great if you slip with a wrench and bang into something, but the palm structure is what will save you dealing with vibration. Not so much an issue on a backhoe, but if you are operating air guns, small engined tools, or anything else with high vibration, it helps deal with short-term exposure.

The other thing I like is the straps at the wrist - you can snug them up tight enough that the gloves are almost impossible to pull off - nice for risky situations discussed, or even moving appliances on a handtruck (going downstairs, with sweaty hands).

The first pair out of that Costco pack is getting a little tired - but they've seen plenty of use and abuse, so I can't find fault there.

Rgds, D.

/ A New FIRST,, For Me,, Operating Machinery And Gloves #8  
When I worked in the logging industry many years ago (see Axe Men) we purposely wore oversized canvas gloves. The ones with the stiff cuffs. The idea was we could pull out hands out before getting fingers caught in anything. Now that I think about it, not sure the idea worked. A bunch of the older guys were missing a finger here or there!

/ A New FIRST,, For Me,, Operating Machinery And Gloves #9  
Things happen so fast. I use a push stick now for most stuff, and take off my wedding ring after Dad's roofer friend lost his finger after it snagged on a roofing nail as he slipped off a roof!
Now if those cadplans gloves come in pink with a matching hair net I'll order.
I can't afford to lose the little hair I have left unless I let my eyebrows grow out.

/ A New FIRST,, For Me,, Operating Machinery And Gloves #10  
I always carry work gloves with me, even working on my tractor. I used to get blisters doing FEL work until I got a steering wheel spinner.