A TC Service Experience

/ A TC Service Experience #1  

Mike H

Silver Member
Tractor
TC33D 7308 loader 757C backhoe
I had an experience recently with my TC-33D that offers several lessons. I've got about 150 hrs on it. On a recent Friday night I was out playing around with it and it started squealing. And it got loud in a hurry. Only way I could describe it is it sounded like a bearing going bad. Coming from the front drive train but the noise seemed to move (left wheel, right wheel). This was a hear clearly from 1/4 mile away squeal.

10:20 am Sat. morning I call my dealer, explain the situation. I really was calling just to make sure I got in next weeks service queue. I'm about 20 minutes from my dealer. 10:30 they call me back and ask if it's OK to send someone out right now. 11:00 am I return from an errand and there's a technician crawling out from underneath with a grease gun (oh, #$#&$, this is going to be embarassing).

Fixed the problem. He loaded up the drive shaft 'boot'. I asked him how much grease because I had greased every fitting on the entire unit 3 days earlier. Said about 15 squeezes. He noted that he'd seen this on a half a dozen units. First dealt with it two years ago on his own tractor and it took him a week of fiddling with it. He greased it as a last effort before breaking his tractor apart. Said, it appears to be harmless and may happen a couple of times until the front drive train completely breaks in.

He also said he thought about just telling me to do this over the phone but figured he might as well come over, 'just in case'. "No charge, this is what we're here for."

/ A TC Service Experience #2  
Mike doesn't it pay to buy from a quality dealer--never mind you already have answered that it your post!!! You may not need service much but quality counts when you do and I'm glad to see that you have a step up to the plate dealer standing behind you. If that didn't wow you nothing will and to wow a customer is the best that you can do./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I guess those blue mechanics have to be good because they sure stay busy./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Those orange mechanics tools just keep getting dusty./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Gordon

/ A TC Service Experience #3  
Mike H,

A great example of how picking the right dealer is just as important as picking the right equipment.

Thanks for the input, I'll make sure that I grease that area extra well on my TC40D.

DaveV

/ A TC Service Experience #4  
Gordon,

Aw, what's this? "I guess those blue mechanics have to be good because they sure stay busy." That dealer was there so quick because they are like the Maytag repair man, no repairs in sight, only a few grease jobs /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif!

Don't know if orange mechanics tools get rusty, no dealer around... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

DaveV

/ A TC Service Experience #5  
The orange mechanics tools get dusty but their deck of cards gets worn out quick. Had to poke some fun u know!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Gordon

/ A TC Service Experience #6  
Gordon - I've always thought the fully enclosed drive shaft on my L4310 was a good idea. Now I know it is.

MarkC

/ A TC Service Experience #7  
Great story. If people in the market for a new tractor don't get the idea of the importance of the dealer, I just don't know what else you can say to them. Throughout this whole board it rings like a refrain.

/ A TC Service Experience #8  
At times simple is better and this seems to be one of them!
L-series toughness can't be beat!

Gordon

/ A TC Service Experience #9  
Mike,

Would you mind being a little more descriptive about where the mechanic greased your tractor? My TC35D made what seems to be a similar sound from the drive shaft cover. There is no rubber "boot" on my machine just a cover that runs from the front of the tractor to the back. I don't remember any grease fittings down there on the drive shaft cover... perhaps the TC 33 is different.

/ A TC Service Experience
There's a U joint where the drive shaft meets with the front axle. The U joint is covered with a black rubber boot. On the TC-33D, the boot has a grease fitting on it. There's another fitting just forward of this on the rear pivot bushing (this is just behind the front axle where it pivots). On the TC-33D I don't think you can miss them unless the boot grease fitting was pointed up. I know I didn't miss them - but I learned I didn't get them enough!