A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501

/ A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #52  
To shift gears or change from F to R ?
Both
It does. HS

At that point, when you have pressed the clutch half way, or there abouts....there is a noticeable change in pedal feel if you keep pushing. At this halfway point, you have "fully disengaged" the clutch that is driving the machine. And can shift whatever you want.

Continuing to press the pedal disengages the PTO clutch. Only necessary if you want to engage the PTO, or otherwise stop the pto

/ A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #53  
Both At that point, when you have pressed the clutch half way, or there abouts....there is a noticeable change in pedal feel if you keep pushing. At this halfway point, you have "fully disengaged" the clutch that is driving the machine. And can shift whatever you want. Continuing to press the pedal disengages the PTO clutch. Only necessary if you want to engage the PTO, or otherwise stop the pto
I'll give it a try. HS

/ A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #54  
I have a 2501 I bought back in August. It is gear driven. I have mowed with it once but never had an issue. I engaged the PTO and mowed. Worked great. I like a gear driven tractor (same with cars and trucks). It works great and very intuitive to me. I do my thing and don't think about it. I did not like the whining noise HST tractors made. I can see where each have their advantages though. I just like the old school simplicity and feel of a gear driven tractor.

/ A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #55  
I have a gear L3301DT and it works good for me. I am used to one, tho......the shuttle is new to me but I really like it. Makes things faster and easier. I would not want to change and would stay with this type of tractor.

/ A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #56  
Unlike gear tractors, manufacturers say HST tractors are supposed to be run at near full rpm in order to keep the fluid cool. So I go through much more fuel when doing minor tractor work that I ever did with a gear tractor. They each have their own advantages.

Ken

If that were true why does Kubota make their Grand L series with Auto Throttle, throttle is controlled by the treadle pedal instead of the throttle lever. You can disengage it and set whatever RPM's you want or set it in auto throttle and if you need more the pedal will take it byond what you have it set for. Our sons L3940 HST has close to 1700 hours on it and is run with Auto Throttle 99.9% of the time. It's used 365 days a year feeding the beef herd on the old dairy cow feedlot.

/ A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #57  
Far as I'm concerned, gear tractors are only good for hauling wood, not for mowing/farming............

IMHO you have that backwards. HST is the best thing since sliced bread for loader work but for actual farm field work, nope. They're still full on tillage on my sons farm and it's not done with an HST.

Our sons YouTube Farm Channel.
SuperHerefords
- YouTube

/ A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #58  
IMHO you have that backwards. HST is the best thing since sliced bread for loader work but for actual farm field work, nope. They're still full on tillage on my sons farm and it's not done with an HST.

Our sons YouTube Farm Channel.
SuperHerefords
- YouTube
I can agree with HST on loader work, I dont like my gear tractor for that. I'm not a farmer unless you consider cut and hauling trees farming, so I wouldn't know if HST is good on the barnyard farmyard work or not, I do know that gear tractor works good on hauling wood.

/ A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #59  
Unlike gear tractors, manufacturers say HST tractors are supposed to be run at near full rpm in order to keep the fluid cool. So I go through much more fuel when doing minor tractor work that I ever did with a gear tractor. They each have their own advantages.

Ken

I think a lot of that has to do with the make, model, year, etc... of the machine. As I've mentioned before and in another thread just this morning, my late 70's IH2500b manual specifically states to run the machine at PTO RPMs or higher to maintain proper hydrostatic pressure, cooling, wheel braking, etc.... about 15 years ago I was having this discussion with TBN member Mark Chalkley about his Earth Force machine, and he had a valve/control that would sense load demand from the HST and up the throttle automatically if needed. The directional pedals weren't tied to the throttle. The load sensing valve/control was.

My Kohler engine is designed to run aroun 3600 RPM under load for proper air movement and oil cooling, so that's where I run it.

Anyhow, I'm sure there's lots of do's and don'ts with regard to this scenario, heat buildup in the hydraulics, less braking effect, response in hydraulic controls, etc.. that are probably unique to each type of machine.

If that were true why does Kubota make their Grand L series with Auto Throttle, throttle is controlled by the treadle pedal instead of the throttle lever. You can disengage it and set whatever RPM's you want or set it in auto throttle and if you need more the pedal will take it byond what you have it set for. Our sons L3940 HST has close to 1700 hours on it and is run with Auto Throttle 99.9% of the time. It's used 365 days a year feeding the beef herd on the old dairy cow feedlot.

/ A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #60  
I sure don't run my hydrostat machine full throttle for most of the jobs I do. I doesn't get hot. I throttle up when it is needed.