A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501

/ A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #61  
I sure don't run my hydrostat machine full throttle for most of the jobs I do. I doesn't get hot. I throttle up when it is needed.

The same for me.

/ A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #62  
There were only a few Hydros I know of built for full on tillage and those were IH Hydros from 1970's and early 1980's. One being the Hydro 186, love find one of those in pristine condition. Most high HP tractors now are going the way of the CVT transmission. My sons JD5065M is 16F/16R transmission so it's pretty easy to find a proper gear, he actually runs a NH H7220 DiscBine behind it a fair amount, 9' cut with rubber condition rolls. When the going gets tough they put behind the Case Ih 5140 Maxxum with 16F/12R and Powershift.

I believe modern hydros have proper cooling via fan or radiator and engine fan cooling.

Hydro 186
TractorData.com International Harvester Hydro 186 tractor information

/ A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #63  
My new holland has the elctrco magnetic PTO, I do not have to clutch to engage, and when I do clutch, it does not effect the PTO, and I can change between F and R without coming to a stop. It’s very nice.

/ A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #64  
The Economy L series were made to meet a price point and really fit good for people moving up from an old Ford or Massey Tractor.

For more versatility the Grand L series with their upgrades in features and brute force should be strongly considered.

Foe loader work on a HST tractor i set the throttle to give me wanted speed and response on the hydraulics and go for there reserving wide open throttle for roading and tiller/mowing/PTO .

David

/ A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #65  
I have definitely seen it written in the tractor manuals to run at 80 - 100% or some said PTO speed. But these were 70's and 80's vintage tractors so maybe it has changed. A friend had an old skid steer and his manual said the same thing. On my PT, the engine does not seem to like to run under about 1400 rpm but then all of the pumps are always engaged.

Ken

/ A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #66  
Certainly there are multiple schools of thought on this subject, difficult to establish any single position as absolutely correct. As Moss Road states, I had a 2400B, operated mine as he did his. With my Kubota, HST. I operate at PTO speed only when using the implement, requiring that level of output. Often my 3 point finish mower in a light application, cuts just as well if I reduce speed. I do NOT monitor hydraulic fluid temps but my engine temp gauge reflects the speed decrease and my fuel economy increases substantially. If using the loader, the valve is jerky and over reactive at PTO speeds. The medium range still proves adequate ground speed for loader work to become productive at reduced engine speed.. There was a cat fight over appropriate road speed for HST, when traveling with the FEL, in another forum. Hope this conversation does not degrade to that point.

/ A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #68  
HISSSSSSSSS! :D

majorwager has it right. What ever works best for individual owners and operators. ;)

/ A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #69  
I really respect this guy's thinking in his choice of a L2501 gear drive. I have my first hydrostat and it'd be hard to go back to gears. But I did fine with three geared tractors.

/ A warning for those considering a Gear Drive Kubota L2501 #70  
I sure don't run my hydrostat machine full throttle for most of the jobs I do. I doesn't get hot. I throttle up when it is needed.

I run mine at rated speed, about 2,800 rpms. I reckon that's just below full throttle. My Kubota manual says not to run it at full speed so I don't. My understanding is it's important to run hydros at rated speed so the hydro won't overheat.