A windpower first

/ A windpower first #32  
I'm at a combined cycle plant in Georgia right now commissioning replacement voltage regulators on 2 gas turbines and a steam turbine, total of maybe 500 MW. Within a rock's throw are 3 coal fired units that will be decommissioned in August. Southern Company has no replacement power for the. 2 of them are 1000 MW each and the third is cloase to that. Our federal government is very rapidly greening us into a critical situation in this country that there won't be and quick resolution for. Coal plants will be gone by the end of this decade and folks like the OP have nukes next on the list, which are also closing at a breakneck pace. Without government subsidies there might not be any wind mills in this country. The wind doesn't always blow.

Plus, of course, they magically expect the reduced electric capacity to charge the millions of electric vehicles they plan to force on us. Where is that additional power coming from?

Just wait, of course, for the windless, extreme cold winter nights when blackouts occur. Homes will be frigid, and electric vehicle cannot be charged...

/ A windpower first #33  
Speaking of federal power subsidies, if Iraq weren't sitting on oil, we wouldn't have gotten sucked into that quagmire (twice) to begin with. Power subsidies come in various forms.

/ A windpower first #34  
Plus, of course, they magically expect the reduced electric capacity to charge the millions of electric vehicles they plan to force on us. Where is that additional power coming from?

Just wait, of course, for the windless, extreme cold winter nights when blackouts occur. Homes will be frigid, and electric vehicle cannot be charged...

NEWSFLASH: THEY DON’T CARE!
The elites and those in charge will have all the power (electrical) they need and either a government supplied, fully charged vehicle or a chauffeur.

Its time to get back to common sense in this country, or we are doomed.

/ A windpower first #35  
The wind doesn't always blow.
And the sun don't always shine either. While not in the industry directly, I can see that base load capacity will fast become an issue and now we have all there citizens buying electric cars and rechargeable tools and air conditioners and everything power intensive. Consequently, the brown outs and grid failures will become more common and of course the citizens will whine about it.

I'm guilty too, I like my rechargeable tools, I like the convenience and i'm looking hard at a battery powered zero turn lawnmower. EGO just came out with a dandy, capable of mowing 2+ acres on a single charge, 47" deck. I'm really tired of dealing with belts and changing oil and spark plugs and starting batteries that have to be renewed every year, let alone the stinky now expensive gasoline too. Might purchase one this summer, but I'm also thinking of erecting a solar array with a charge controller to provide the energy to charge it with and probably my battery powered tools as well.

Tossing it around.

/ A windpower first #36  
We bought e bikes several months ago.I don’t remember the exact numbers but the amount of electricity it takes to charge them is small. Cordless tools are the same, small amounts of electricity. Electric cars on the other hand…….

/ A windpower first #37  
We bought e bikes several months ago.I don’t remember the exact numbers but the amount of electricity it takes to charge them is small. Cordless tools are the same, small amounts of electricity. Electric cars on the other hand…….
Keep on mind that a little here and a little there all adds up and it all imposes an additional load on the grid and base load capacity. No free ride that I'm aware of.

/ A windpower first #38  

Be extremely careful when they are on charge. FDNY has documented many fires started by charging bikes, including some major fires and fatalities.

And many more pop up on a search.

Ken

/ A windpower first #39  
We have pretty good e bikes, they are Treks and have a Bosch motor and battery setup. That said yes they could be a fire hazard. They are in my shop so if they did catch fire it wouldn’t kill us in our sleep but would do a lot of damage, between cars, tools and the building.

/ A windpower first #40  
And the sun don't always shine either. While not in the industry directly, I can see that base load capacity will fast become an issue and now we have all there citizens buying electric cars and rechargeable tools and air conditioners and everything power intensive. Consequently, the brown outs and grid failures will become more common and of course the citizens will whine about it.

I'm guilty too, I like my rechargeable tools, I like the convenience and i'm looking hard at a battery powered zero turn lawnmower. EGO just came out with a dandy, capable of mowing 2+ acres on a single charge, 47" deck. I'm really tired of dealing with belts and changing oil and spark plugs and starting batteries that have to be renewed every year, let alone the stinky now expensive gasoline too. Might purchase one this summer, but I'm also thinking of erecting a solar array with a charge controller to provide the energy to charge it with and probably my battery powered tools as well.

Tossing it around.
I'm going to buy the EGO ZT6, and hopefully it will be at my ACE hardware where I will obtain over 5,000 points while doing so. And I will use my credit card to receive more rewards. Then, when the bill comes I will pay in full rather than paying cash for the purchase. It's a win win deal.

I'm sold on EGO: I have the self-propelled mower, (works perfectly after 5 years), and the power head which accepts a string trimmer, hedge trimmer, and pole saw.