Adding 4wd to YM2310

/ Adding 4wd to YM2310 #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
If I found a junk YM2310D that had a good 4WD assembly, would it be a nightmare to add to my 2310? I suspect it would because I would need to change major transmission assembly components. Maybe better to find a 2310D with a bad engine and just put the engine from my 2310 into it. I only consider this because I keep getting my 2310 stuck, even with the weight of the 4 foot box blade. More weight will help for sure. As will drier ground. But I can't justify the cost of a good 2310D.
Thanks,
Eric

/ Adding 4wd to YM2310 #2  
I am not sure but I think you would have to take off the present cover and replace it with a complete drop box assembly that you will see on list 47 of the 2310 parts manual. You would also need a driveshaft and cover. The hard part would be adding the front drive gear that goes on the rear pinion shaft. Overall, a major undertaking. 4 wheel drive is a wonderful thing! (y)

/ Adding 4wd to YM2310 #3  
Does the 4x4 version even have the same final drive gear ratio as the 2x4? And tire size?

Sounds like you would need the entire transmission assembly, complete, from the donor tractor as well as the visible 4x4 components. That's a major project.

/ Adding 4wd to YM2310 #4  
Why do you want 4wd? If it's just for the fun of doing it then that makes sense to me. But if the reason is for more traction there are other ways.

/ Adding 4wd to YM2310
I want 4WD just for the traction. I have weight in the rear and am going to add more weight to the tires. Maybe I could add chains. Maybe new tires too. I don't care about any kind of cool factor, I just get tired of spinning tires on gentle slopes. And getting stuck when the front tires have to go over a bump.
Eric

/ Adding 4wd to YM2310
Does the 4x4 version even have the same final drive gear ratio as the 2x4? And tire size?

Sounds like you would need the entire transmission assembly, complete, from the donor tractor as well as the visible 4x4 components. That's a major project.
Yeah, I'm thinking, after looking at some pictures, that if I want 4WD I need to get a tractor that already has it.
Eric

/ Adding 4wd to YM2310 #8  
But what you could do becasue it is 2wd it is easy to fit some wider wheels with industrial tires and wheel weights. I did that and it works.

/ Adding 4wd to YM2310 #9  
I want 4WD just for the traction. I have weight in the rear and am going to add more weight to the tires. Maybe I could add chains. Maybe new tires too. I don't care about any kind of cool factor, I just get tired of spinning tires on gentle slopes. And getting stuck when the front tires have to go over a bump.
Eric
In our coastal climates (freaking wet) I'm sure you deal with the same traction that always seems to be right on the edge regardless, even with 4WD just now trying to move a bucket load of fill dirt up a gentle slope.

/ Adding 4wd to YM2310 #10  
At some point, you just need to change tools...

I was out on a slope today trying to consolidate some soils, and between the slope and the soil conditions just couldn't get it done. Very annoying, but I didn't roll the tractor, and I want to keep it that way. Renting a dozer isn't in the cards at the moment, so this project will just have to wait for a bit, as annoying as that is.

It seems like there is always something that "if I had a..., I could do that." Personally, I have learned for me, if I let the problem stew for awhile, I can often find advice on how to do it differently with what I have, but not always.

@etpm I have no idea what the best call is, but I think trying to donor build/hack/switch your way into 4WD sounds to me like it might be the hard way, but I have never attempted it myself.

All the best,

Peter