Adding Boards to Utility Trailer with E-Track

/ Adding Boards to Utility Trailer with E-Track #1  

JohnnyMX

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200
Bought a small 6x12 Karavan utility trailer from HomeDepot. It isn't the greatest trailer by far, but it was in stock and makes up for my new 5'3" bed in the new truck. It also has fold down rails so I can lift pallets onto it which many of these other trailers didn't offer as an option. The trailer will be used to move/haul things that are too large for the truck bed and for brush, wood chips etc. from time to time. Not sure I want to add the wooden rail by drilling and bolting to the trailer since I then can't drop the sides down since they won't clear the fenders.

I am wondering if you can make the rails out of E-Track so I could just snap them in and out when needed. If the board mounts normally used for shelves in an enclosed trailer could hold my corner supports (vertical board) then I could just put a piece of e-track on those and place the boards in. I'm thinking since it would be attached at multiple points it may be strong enough. Is this a dumb idea? Has anyone done this that can share how it worked or pictures?

Attachments

• karavan-trailer.PNG
    karavan-trailer.PNG
    118.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Etrack-horizontal.PNG
    Etrack-horizontal.PNG
    185.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Etrack-boardmount.PNG
    Etrack-boardmount.PNG
    271 KB · Views: 94
   / Adding Boards to Utility Trailer with E-Track
I know that the board/shelf holder attachments are always shown for horizontal attachment to trailer walls to support a shelf or divide a space. I guess I need to figure out if they can support a vertical corner post. What other options are there for quickly taking side rails on/off. I don't have any pocket stakes on the trailer.

Attachments

• EtrackTrailerRails.png
    EtrackTrailerRails.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 88
   / Adding Boards to Utility Trailer with E-Track #3  
Bought a small 6x12 Karavan utility trailer from HomeDepot. It isn't the greatest trailer by far, but it was in stock and makes up for my new 5'3" bed in the new truck. It also has fold down rails so I can lift pallets onto it which many of these other trailers didn't offer as an option. The trailer will be used to move/haul things that are too large for the truck bed and for brush, wood chips etc. from time to time. Not sure I want to add the wooden rail by drilling and bolting to the trailer since I then can't drop the sides down since they won't clear the fenders.

I am wondering if you can make the rails out of E-Track so I could just snap them in and out when needed. If the board mounts normally used for shelves in an enclosed trailer could hold my corner supports (vertical board) then I could just put a piece of e-track on those and place the boards in. I'm thinking since it would be attached at multiple points it may be strong enough. Is this a dumb idea? Has anyone done this that can share how it worked or pictures?
I bought the same trailer especially for hauling my SxS and/or my mower. The E-Track sounds like a 1st Class idea. I'm a cheap-o though and simply put in 8 I-bolts in the pre-drilled frame. Those give me plenty of tie-down angles.

/ Adding Boards to Utility Trailer with E-Track #4  
I put e track on the walls of my cargo trailer. I have a couple of sets of the holders that you can run a 2x4 rail horizonally across the width of the trailer. I think this is the accessory you want to use as a vertical rail with 2x4s? If so, you will be very limited because the strength of the device on the vertical plane is much less than the horizonal plane due to the little clip that holds the cup into the etrack. I wouldn't count on it to withstand much lateral load. It would probably be fine for some fluffy insulation, but I wouldn't trust it for holding, say, square bales of hay. That said, you could run e track right below the existing rails and use the attachment points if that offers any benefit. The e track is strong enough for the unsupported distance between vertical rails on the trailer, however, the clip in accessories are the weak link by far.

That is what I was wondering on the strength of the 2x4 attachment in the vertical positon. I got a 10 pack of them off Amazon and figure I'd give it a go. there will be 4 vertical posts and then a the posts going across the front to brace the sides and possible one out back depending. Those would all be in the horizontal clip location the way I believe they are supposed to be oriented.

I guess there is only one way to find out.

/ Adding Boards to Utility Trailer with E-Track #6  
I'd use flat ubolts.

Attachments

• 20150416_082607.jpg
    20150416_082607.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 255
  • 20140719_160506.jpg
    20140719_160506.jpg
    694.1 KB · Views: 309

My 8'x18' 12K Hudson goes from flat equipment to enclosed (4' high) in about 3 hours of work. The side panels are 3/4 Marine ply.

I do not have stake pockets built into the trailer. I am just thinking about being able to pull the whole thing off in 3 pieces (2 sides and a piece up front). The rear tail gate will keep stuff in in the back.

/ Adding Boards to Utility Trailer with E-Track #8  
Just leave a cut out where the fender is in your wood sides.

I realized I can still unpin the entire railing off the tailer and just take the boards with it since the rails all can tilt down or be removed for a flatbed trailer. After seeing the price for a few U-bolts and the extra BS it wasn't worth the hassle. I had already purchased a box of 5/16" x 4" bolts for the bases and had a ton leftover. I just drilled through the center supports and bolted the boards on that way. I always have to try to keep it simple, but my mind plays tricks on me ;)