Adding electrical devices to tractor

/ Adding electrical devices to tractor #21  
Let me see if I understand you correctly. I have a leftover BlueSea 6 slot fuse panel from my last boat. I can surely tie that directly to the battery. Are you stating, any wire I run thereafter, be tied into an ignition power source? Sorry for my ignorance, but where does the relay come in?

The relay is between the battery and the fuse block, it controls power to fuse block by following the off/on of the ignition switch..... How you choose to switch the out puts of auxiliary fuse block will depend on what control the added device requires....

61XO7-UufUL._SL1000_-1.jpg

Trigger source will be voltage from 'ON" ignition switch..

Device will be fuse panel and associated circuits (lamps or radio or backup camera or what ever)...

Dale

Last edited:
   / Adding electrical devices to tractor #22  
This is GREAT insight. Learning a ton over here! Thanks guys. What’s the best place to source a relay? Right now I have three devices requiring a fuse of 10, 10, 30. I’m perfectly okay limiting it to say 50amps and calling it good. A 60 would just be a nice to have. I’m merely trying to power two LED lights (front 125w/back 36w) and my third function valve, which I believe requires a 10amp fuse (seeing they attach them to the work light connection).

/ Adding electrical devices to tractor #23  
This is GREAT insight. Learning a ton over here! Thanks guys. What’s the best place to source a relay? Right now I have three devices requiring a fuse of 10, 10, 30. I’m perfectly okay limiting it to say 50amps and calling it good. A 60 would just be a nice to have. I’m merely trying to power two LED lights (front 125w/back 36w) and my third function valve, which I believe requires a 10amp fuse (seeing they attach them to the work light connection).

generally you can use relays up to about 40 amps, after that you need to go to a continuous duty solenoid.

examples.

Amazon.com: Gebildet JD1912 Car Relay Harness 12V 4A 4 Pin SPST Harness Sockets with Color-Labeled Wires for Automotive Truck Van Motorcycle Boat (Pack of 2): Industrial & Scientific

Amazon.com: MICTUNING 12V 5 Pin Waterproof Relay Harness Set - SPDT Bosch Style Automotive 4Amp 3 Amp Relay with Heavy Duty 16AWG 14AWG Pre-wired Harness 5 pack: Automotive

Amazon.com: Max 3A Continuous Duty Solenoid Relay Nickel-Plating For Golf Carts,Winch, Marine In Rush 12VDC: Automotive

/ Adding electrical devices to tractor #26  
That first one looks exactly like what I need. I see in the wiring diagram, they recommend a fuse in between the battery and the relay. How do I determine that fuse? Is it a collective of what I intend to power? I also noticed their photos state “if you get the wrong one...”. First time I’ve seen that on Amazon.

/ Adding electrical devices to tractor
generally you can use relays up to about 40 amps, after that you need to go to a continuous duty solenoid.
Try auto part stores or mail order
Amazon.com : 12v 6a relay

Hope 30A load is intermittent duty, most small tractors have 15-20 amp magnetrons for chargers (well kabota anyway)

/ Adding electrical devices to tractor #28  
For some reason the older light bar I had is 126w and has a 30amp fuse in it. Of course I’m not running it regularly and so far it’s fine. But it has a relay attached to it too.

/ Adding electrical devices to tractor #29  
I used the work light plug located under the fender - only powered when key is on

and yes I fused that heavy line from the battery to the relay AT THE BATTERY. I used a 40 amp fuse - I'll never draw that much off the back relay. Your fuse should protect the wiring going back to the relay. If you run 18ga I would use a 3amp fuse, I used 10ga.

new remote power fuse.JPG

/ Adding electrical devices to tractor #30  
That first one looks exactly like what I need. I see in the wiring diagram, they recommend a fuse in between the battery and the relay. How do I determine that fuse? Is it a collective of what I intend to power? I also noticed their photos state “if you get the wrong one...”. First time I’ve seen that on Amazon.

Fuse in supply should equal total of all fuses in panel.... For example if you are running a 6 fuse panel and all fuses are 10 amp, the master fuse should probably be 60 amp.... Of course the calculation of master fuse will be total of what all fuses are because values can vary dependent on "load" (fuses may be 2.5 or 5 or 7.5 or 10 or 12 or 15 amp and so on)....

Dale