Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks?

/ Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks? #71  
What about a tube/pipe cut to the length between the hooks and run the chain through that. With the pipe against the sides of the hooks, would reduce some of the side loading on the hooks. Jon

/ Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks? #72  
What about a tube/pipe cut to the length between the hooks and run the chain through that. With the pipe against the sides of the hooks, would reduce some of the side loading on the hooks. Jon
Definitely, if said pipe is strong enough. But side-loaded round tube is notoriously weak. Better off with a square tube or c-channel, and a center hook welded to the tube such that the loading stays plumb to its cross-section.

I honestly don't understand the aversion to a center hook. If your bucket is too wimpy, beef it up, accordingly. Not rocket surgery.

/ Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks? #73  
Do the hook in the middle of the bucket as well as the ends. Put a plate of steel on the bucket instead of welding directly to the bucket- this will spread out the stress. Lifting heavier things - or trying to with the side hooks could rack the loader frame if you aren't careful. Get a 3 point trailer mover instead of the receiver on the bucket. The 3 point will lift more and you wont lose traction moving a heavy trailer. Also you've got better control using the 3 point and these can be bought for usually under $100.

/ Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks? #74  
One will do!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2453[1].JPG
    IMG_2453[1].JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 72
   / Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks? #75  
I put one on each side and a receiver in the middle. Can use it with a hook or with a ball mount to move trailers.
I put a piece of sq tube big enough that the bottom of the hook clears the lip of the bucket. It also reinforces the edge of the bucket.

/ Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks? #76  
I have four on the backhoe…it can lift 8000# with attachable forks

/ Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks? #77  
Here’s what I like to build for a bucket chain grasper, angle iron with slots I cut in. This one I just made for my Deere 5115m, 540R loader, 73”HD bucket. Angle iron eliminates any chance of bending top of bucket, handles side loading the chain no problem. When I set a large stump on brush pile I’ll tip the bucket forward and the choker chain pulls free of the center slot as I back tractor away a few feet, makes chain retrievel off stump much easier and faster. This one was 4x6” x3/8” angle, 1/4 “ gussets. Smaller tractor loader 1/4” angle would be plenty strong I’d think

Attachments

• 18A88389-4786-4B4D-B804-23A33D250188.jpeg
    18A88389-4786-4B4D-B804-23A33D250188.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 104
  • 764D53A5-2A43-4B3B-9297-0B96E4C247F4.jpeg
    764D53A5-2A43-4B3B-9297-0B96E4C247F4.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 103
   / Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks? #78  
Nice setup, Seven Gables. Although I still prefer the forged hooks, I do wish I had thought to buy a standard bucket and simply re-enforce the top like you did. I went the route of the "Heavy Duty" bucket from Deere, as I'd seen too many of their standard buckets bowed on top from lifting logs on hooks (primary use of my tractor) and I'm not loving it.

1. Way too heavy, requires me to ALWAYS carry ballast, even with empty bucket
2. Hardened cutting edge can easily damage driveway
3. Bolt-on edge prevents use of a lot of common bolt-on or clamp-on bucket accessories

As much of a PITA as it is to set up and repaint new bucket, I'm thinking of buying a standard bucket, mod'ing it better to my liking, and then reselling the HD bucket to someone who really needs it.

/ Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks? #79  
i have 2, each about 4 inches from the sides. i have another hook on the backhoe i think

/ Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks? #80  
As much of a PITA as it is to set up and repaint new bucket, I'm thinking of buying a standard bucket, mod'ing it better to my liking, and then reselling the HD bucket to someone who really needs it.
IF you don't do it you are never going to be happy.....