Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks?

/ Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks? #91  
I don't do pictures but E-Trailer sells them, called banjo style chain retainers. and they have pictures. I copied theirs. You slip the chain through the hole and the slot secures the chain. All inside the bucket welded to the bucket floor which actually is the strongest part of any loader bucket.

/ Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks? #93  
I have 5 hooks.
I started with 3 hooks but added 2 in the other direction 'cuz I was needing it.
Also I put a thicker L-angle across the formed lip before welding the hooks on.

/ Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks? #94  
That is a good idea, adding some steel to the formed upper lip. Most people aren't aware of the fact that you can purchase a new tractor (at least a Kubota) with 2 different buckets. The standard light duty material bucket with the formed steel upper lip and a single floor sheet or the optional heavy duty excavation bucket with a welded pipe (round) upper lip and a double floor sheet with added flat wear plates on the bottom.

I have both actually and my HD bucket I use with a round bale spear all the time. You can also get the HD bucket with a replaceable bolt on wear edge.

If you don't specify, Kubota will provide the lighter duty material bucket and I'm not sure if the HD bucket is available on the smaller tractors as it's pretty heavy which isn't an issue with my tractors.

/ Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks? #95  
I welded strengthening plate to too center and added 2-5/16” ball for moving trailers, then added hooks. Use them all the time.

Attachments

• 0327111410.jpg
    0327111410.jpg
    688.6 KB · Views: 321

/ Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks? #96  
Don't have any hooks on either of my buckets. I took my CNC plasma cutter and cut a pair of 1/4" thick plate steel slotted chain catchers that I welded to the bucket floor in line with the upper cylinder mounts. I just secure the chains in the chain catchers, no hooks needed at all plus they are parallel to the bucket sides so they don't impact the bucket capabilities at all.

Did you mean something similar to these....

/ Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks? #97  
   / Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks? #98  
Exactly. I palgerized (copied) that one and cut my own in the shop. No hooks, just 2 parallel to the bucket sides inside the bucket towards the back wall. As cheap as they are, I could have bought theirs but I had the steel plate laying around.
The negative here is you have to feed chain (length) through banjo slots, My preference is drop in slot....

/ Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks? #99  
The first option is often the best.

Attachments

• IMG_2834.JPG
    IMG_2834.JPG
    259 KB · Views: 60
   / Adding grab hooks on front bucket, 2 or 3 hooks? #100  
All buckets need hooks. My loader's bucket came with a factory 20T or 30T hook and I added four more weld-in chain hooks as hooks are continually useful.

IMG_3622 2.JPG

Last edited: