adding more tires

/ adding more tires
No the axle does NOT stick out.

I am looking for all thought pro and con.

I understand some tractors have "weak" axles, whether they are thin or aluminum or what ever.
I do not think the 584's are "weak", regardless, I have spares on the scrap 684. Of course, I do not want to break one. Beside being a PITA to repair, who knows what safety issues might occur.

Last edited:
   / adding more tires #12  
Screenshot_20190121-161452.png

This is what you would have to do.

/ adding more tires
Now, I am getting EXCITED.

/ adding more tires #14  
Don't get too excited finding the rims that you would need and the locks would be like finding hen's teeth. I don't recall ever seeing at set small enough to fit your tractor

/ adding more tires #15  
Double post

/ adding more tires #16  
What size tire are on your 584?

You might try doing a search for "Band type" duals. We ran 15.5 x 38 on a JD 70 diesel, 5000 Ford and they do help with traction and ride comfort. I found them much easier to install than the hub mounts and with the band style there is nothing sticking out past your main tire when the dual is not installed.

/ adding more tires #17  
The 584 proberly has 28 or 30 inch rims, I seem to recall clamp on duals for that size rim.
Welcome
this site can give you some ideas.
If you are cultivating will you have room between rows for duals?
It would be extreme but some dual where built for cultivating were the next rows actually went between the dual wheels,
they were mainly for floatation to avoid ground compaction instead of traction as the extreme spred could increase the axle loading considerably.
More weight for more traction or switch to a radial tire they are good for almost 20% increase in traction.
Or taller and or wider tires.

/ adding more tires #18  
I added duals to my (7HP) Wheel Horse back in the day. Welded some tabs on the inside edge of the new wheels so they would interlock with the originals, and then used some long bolts (or maybe it was threaded rod) to clamp the wheels together.

Worked a charm on gaining me much-needed extra traction to get firewood out of the woods.

On a full sized tractor I probably wouldn't consider it unless there was A) a factory option that could be added, or B) a well recognized aftermarket solution.

/ adding more tires
As far as adding rims and or wheels....Are there brand specific bolt patterns that I should watch for?
I have 8 lugs and I do not know the center hole size.

Also help me get it straight....Rim is what the tire mounts too and the wheel mounts to the axel. Correct?
With these questions you would never guess I got the 584 20 years ago.

The tires were old, side walls were cracked, when I got the 584, and I am still using the same tires.
One of the reason I have been thinking about tires and this dully idea. I have the same size tires on my TN95A. I have been thinking about getting new tires on the TN95A and putting the take offs on the 584.

/ adding more tires #20  
STARCO Dual wheel HD - YouTube

watch this , Its the modern version of how duals were attached in the 80's the video after is an older tractor . this is how the wheels are added when you do not have an axle to mount a hub on . you would need a rim without the center to accomplish what you want