Adding radiator overflow tank

/ Adding radiator overflow tank #11  
Always check that there is fluid in the radiator by removing the cap - don't just look to see if there is fluid in reservoir. Fluid in the reservoir doesn't necessarily tell you about the fluid in the radiator. I've seen the same as Fixastuff mentions.
Yes, removing the radiator cap usually loses a few drops when you do so but it is harmless.
rScotty

/ Adding radiator overflow tank #12  
A simple fix. Done a lot on old cars and trucks. A simple tank with a hole in the cap. attach a 1/4 or 3/8 hose to the outlet tube from the radiator and the other end into the hole in the overflow tank. Hose goes almost to the bottom. Run it for a couple days and all should be fine. if not you may need a new cap.
And yes check the radiator once in a while.

/ Adding radiator overflow tank #13  
Amazon has a TON! of them

/ Adding radiator overflow tank #14  
I never changed radiator caps. With an overflow reservoir, it'll just suck liquid up instead of air. Any air will be in the reservoir.
Not all caps are well sealed I have seen many older convention caps that did not seal under a vacuum and would not draw back from an
over flow bottle. I have also seen newer caps loose the ability to seal a vacuum and stop pulling the fluid back into the radiators.
When these newer systems stop refilling themselves it is either a hose leak or a cap not sealing completely.

/ Adding radiator overflow tank #15  
Even if the caps don't seal well under a vacuum - and I've seen the same thing - it really doesn't make a big difference since all radiators have an overflow tube. Without the reservoir to at least catch the overflow the radiator just piddles on the ground where an animal can lick it up because it's tastes sweet - and then they die.
Put on a reservoir.

/ Adding radiator overflow tank #16  
The overflow tank went bad on one of my tractors, maybe 20 years ago. There was room, so we grabbed a anti freeze jug and replaced it. Still there working fine.

/ Adding radiator overflow tank #17  
sounds like a fun rat rod project! Make the catch container out of an old booze bottle to add character.

/ Adding radiator overflow tank #18  
Amazon has a TON! of them
Street rod places lave lots of them as well from very simple to very complex. Summit Racing, Speedway Motors, Jegs...

/ Adding radiator overflow tank #19  
Even if the caps don't seal well under a vacuum - and I've seen the same thing - it really doesn't make a big difference since all radiators have an overflow tube. Without the reservoir to at least catch the overflow the radiator just piddles on the ground where an animal can lick it up because it's tastes sweet - and then they die.
Put on a reservoir.
There are advantages to running an official "recovery" bottle. The main one is increased volume of coolant.

Coolant expands when it heats up. It needs a place to go. A regular cooling system with no recovery bottle must have a air space in the top of the radiator. If you fill the radiator to the top, it will puke out the extra fluid till it finds the space it needs. When it cools there will be a air space in the top of the radiator.

If you want to get rid of this air space on top of the radiator you can, if you run a recovery system and recovery bottle. When the coolant expands, it goes into the recovery bottle. When it cools, it sucks the coolant out of the bottle back into the radiator, keeping the radiator completely full.

But as was mentioned, not all radiator caps are created equal. Some will suck the coolant back into the radiator, flowing coolant both directions. Some won't and you just end up catching the extra coolant, and still end up with a air space in the top of the radiator.

Try your radiator cap and see what happens.

Last edited: